You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

Looked shattered to me , a couple of times he looked like he had to grit his teeth to drag his body over to cover space on the right. As I said on another thread , we should never have left 3 up front for the second half with a 7-3 advantage.

Well, it's not like we have any other midfielders to bring on at the moment. I hate bringing on an extra defender though, every time we do it we just invite pressure and look vulnerable. It's probably my most hated thing in football, just keep the same shape and freshen it up! Don't crowd the defence and make everyone rethink where they should be. 

• Upvote 3

Well, it's not like we have any other midfielders to bring on at the moment. I hate bringing on an extra defender though, every time we do it we just invite pressure and look vulnerable. It's probably my most hated thing in football, just keep the same shape and freshen it up! Don't crowd the defence and make everyone rethink where they should be. 

Agree with that, Rex , the 5 at the back thing is a nightmare.

Just don't think we should have left all three up front , should have withdrawn Mo & Sadio to the wings outside the middle three, or used Clyne up the right in front or behind TAA. Our bench is rank at the moment though.

Roma knew it was shit or bust. That og off Milner probably made them think it was going to be their night never mind having a bent ref help them. Our style of play means we are going to run out of steam in games but it is that style that usually puts us out of sight before then. Gini always runs like he is knackered to me but I always think our major problems is we do not win enough 50/50 tackles. I was a bit surprised Jurgen put Solanke on instead of Ings last night but hey he is the manager.

Agree with that, Rex , the 5 at the back thing is a nightmare.

Just don't think we should have left all three up front , should have withdrawn Mo & Sadio to the wings outside the middle three, or used Clyne up the right in front or behind TAA. Our bench is rank at the moment though.

Yeah, for sure. I think there were better ways of going about closing it out, we definitely didn't need to keep a front three. Klopp has done the same thing a few times and almost every time he brings on an extra defender for a forward we look pretty vulnerable, it just goes against how we always play. You'd think Klopp would have seen this before. Like I said though we don't have too many options with the injuries at the moment.

• 3 months later...
Jurgen Klopp has been quick to pay tribute to Georginio Wijnaldum after the Dutch midfield produced another imperious display at the weekend.

With Mo Salah grabbing the winner in a 1-0 win over Brighton and Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino never far from the headlines, plenty of the Liverpool praise has also been afforded to new boy Alisson Becker and defensive man mountain Virgil van Dijk.

Klopp was happy to pile the plaudits on his new £65m keeper after the Brazilian’s late heroics kept out the Seagulls at Anfield on Saturday.

However, Wijnaldum’s efforts often go under the radar.

The Dutchman misplaced one of his 76 passes at Anfield at the weekend, and Klopp hopes he can keep his form up in the face of competition from captain Jordan Henderson and summer signing Fabinho.

“The situation was clear from the beginning,” Klopp said. “Hendo would not have a big break and Fabinho would need time to settle in, so it was always clear that Gini would be in the mix for that position.

“He can play both. He was brilliant in pre-season as the eight. He was good as the six but brilliant as the eight. That’s why we never had any doubts about that.

“They all have different characteristics in that role but if we don’t defend as a team neither Hendo, Fabinho or Gini can play the role very well because the space is just too big. It’s not possible. If we defend well, then it is all fine.

“Gini is a good footballer, the other two are as well. It is only important that you have this kind of mindset that you can cool yourself down in different situations, that you don’t follow the ball or offer runs in behind when we have enough players to do that.

“We need a few reasonable persons on the pitch, if you want, and Gini can switch from one mindset to the other and that is pretty good for us.”

He misplaced one pass in 76 and was all over the field winning second balls. Against Brighton, yes he was phenomenal.

Nope. We played Brighton. Phenomenal is bossing it against world class players/teams.

Standards are slipping if that's 'Phenomenal'.

Nope. We played Brighton. Phenomenal is bossing it against world class players/teams.

Standards are slipping if that's 'Phenomenal'.

Man Utd must be really, really shit.

He's had a good start to the season but often does this and then has a tendency to become anonymous afterwards. He's been very good but nowhere near such standards as 'phenomenal.' I'll wait for about a dozen games or so before I can say he's been well above average or better. Good start but we will see.

• Upvote 1