You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

I have no idea but I wouldn't have no more than £15m for him, I think for a bit more than £25m we could have got Dahoud or a better player. I know his contracts nearly up but Utd didn't pay much more than that for Mikhytaryan.

You may need to adjust your valuations to take into account the new TV deal.

15 million only gets you Jordan Ibe (with buy back and sell on clauses). Wijnaldum is a much better player.

Yep, experienced international with captaincy of a title winning team on the CV versus potential talent who has played a handful of top flight games. That 8-10 million doesn't see so much in that context.

Do our transfer committee not feel even the slightest twinge of embarrassment regarding the fact that for all their supposed knowledge and data, they pretty much just end up letting other teams in the league do the their scouting for them at a huge mark up?

Dirk Kuyt reveals Wijnaldum was scouted during his time at Liverpool, and heard the scouts frequently say he’d be a big asset one day.

Seems we did the scouting but spent too long faffing around with the monitoring.

I prefer Houlliers way of presenting new signings.

Used to get them all in and have them sit in the stand all together.

dti170336.jpg

Made all the better by the leaning on the back row. Exceptional.

I think Wijnaldum will prove to be a good signing, between him and Mane it'll be great to see more midfielders chipping in with a decent goal return.

Do our transfer committee not feel even the slightest twinge of embarrassment regarding the fact that for all their supposed knowledge and data, they pretty much just end up letting other teams in the league do the their scouting for them at a huge mark up?

How is that any different to any other big club?

In the case of Wijnaldum PSV let Feyernood do their scouting for them, Newcastle let PSV we let Newcastle.

We had no issues letting Gronigen, and Ajax do the scouting for us and Barca had no problems with letting us do the scouting for them for Suarez.

The only difference between the path of Wijnaldum and any other player we sign is whether you want him or not, and that's the only reason people see this as an issue and don't see it as an issue for an alternative player.

• Upvote 1

You may need to adjust your valuations to take into account the new TV deal.

Regardless of tv deals I personally wouldn't pay anymore than £15 and if they wanted more id have moved onto the next target, it's not like it's an absolute necessity that we need him or we'd have gone in for him the day after Newcastle got relegated. For £15m you couldn't really pass on buying him because that's excellent value for money but if after paying an extra £10m we miss out on buying someone better or someone to strengthen another area of the field because we've not enough left in the budget then it's a problem. I'd understand over paying for him or anyone if they are first choice and Klopp really wants him it's the second and third choices that we end up overpaying for that does my head in.

15 million only gets you Jordan Ibe (with buy back and sell on clauses). Wijnaldum is a much better player.

If there wasn't any buy back or sell ons it would have ended up even higher aswell. Ibe had a shit second half of the season but he still has a lot of promise, if he has a good season he'll be worth double what Bournemouth have paid for him, like Sterling, he only really had a brilliant second half of the season 13/14 and in fits and starts the rest of his time here and we ended up with £50m for him, that's just the bullshit way that buying English players gets you so it's irrelevant comparing foreign players prices to English, you can do it all day long. Kante £5m and Payet £10m or Delph £8m and Sterling £50m? It's a completely different ball game from buying abroad.

I just don't get the overpaid thing really. What's the going rate for an established midfielder that plays for a major footballing national side? If it's not £23-25m, the surely it's £18-20m. Any less would be an absolute bargain this summer - I can't see any way that we've been stitched up on this one, price-wise. Fair enough, Holland didn't make the Euros but he was a regular in the side that got to the World Cup semis. He's got a pretty significant pedigree.

Haven't we been crying out for experienced players that are fully formed rather than us buying potential in a moneyball scenario??

The salient point is whether he will improve us and we have to wait and see on that.

• Upvote 3

I just don't get the overpaid thing really. What's the going rate for an established midfielder that plays for a major footballing national side? If it's not £23-25m, the surely it's £18-20m. Any less would be an absolute bargain this summer - I can't see any way that we've been stitched up on this one, price-wise. Fair enough, Holland didn't make the Euros but he was a regular in the side that got to the World Cup semis. He's got a pretty significant pedigree.

Haven't we been crying out for experienced players that are fully formed rather than us buying potential in a moneyball scenario??

The salient point is whether he will improve us and we have to wait and see on that.

Repped for use of the word salient.