You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

5 minutes ago, m0e said:

What a nonsensical statement. He was dropped plenty of times for Oxlade, Milner, and Keita.

He never had the competition he would have had right now either.

The facts state otherwise, he had the exact same competition last season. In previous seasons he also had Coutinho, Lalanna and Can competing for a Jersey and he still played every week. He came on a sub 9 times in 3 seasons and was unused/unavailable for another 4 games. His machine like physique is why he would still be playing every week, the others just can't do what Gini done.

SmartSelect_20211210-140450_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Again, not on about the business side, FSG, wages etc etc. The talk was, would you have him back. It’s not hard. I dont need 1/2 a page of detail explaining reasons why it mightn’t happen coz it won’t. But, I would. 
But to suggest that when everyone is fit, he’d be behind Thiago & Keita, I’ll give you Thiago. But then to say he might even be behind Milner & Jones???? !!!!!!!! Seriously? *shakes head* 

He would be because klopp wouldn't treat him the same as a permanent member of the squad. Klopp would prioritise his players. He just would. If Gini hadn't left, I would have him in my 1st choice midfield. But he did leave and this conversation isn't if he'll come back on a permanent move, but if he'll come back on a loan. If he did, I believe he would be behind everyone, not because of his ability, but because he's not one of klopp's boys. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

I'd rotate a lot more, as Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho have a tendency to pick up knocks and strains. Gini was bulletproof in that regard. 

That makes sense.

This doesn't:

He'd walk into our starting eleven in most games for me 

Just now, m0e said:

That makes sense.

This doesn't:

He'd walk into our starting eleven in most games for me 

They're not contradictory statements. 

He was a top quality midfielder for us, in my opinion (which clearly differs from yours), and he'd probably still do an excellent job for us. 

Also, it's probably barely a few weeks since people were - a bit unfairly -  moaning about how easy our current midfield is to play through. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Also, it's probably barely a few weeks since people were - a bit unfairly -  moaning about how easy our current midfield is to play through. 

That wasn't with the midfield from which I asked you to nominate someone to be dropped for him.

And he was part of the midfield that lost 6 games in a row at 'home' last season.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

That wasn't with the midfield from which I asked you to nominate someone to be dropped for him.

And he was part of the midfield that lost 6 games in a row at 'home' last season.

It's not about dropping, it's about rotation. 

There were plenty of other world class footballers in our line-ups during that awful period last year who couldn't halt our slide. And Jurgen himself admitted he got it wrong by further ripping apart our midfield initially rather than trusting Phillips and Williams. 

By the way, I think it would be a backwards step for us for him to return. We need the new, younger Gini (though you're probably not going to agree with that bit!) 

4 hours ago, aRdja said:

If we had everyone fit last season then he wouldn’t have started many games. If he can’t get a game ahead of Gana or Herrera then there’s no chance he’d be getting regular games here. He needs to lift his game and prove himself there before I’d consider taking him back here. 

It’s not Ginis fault Pochetino can’t get the best out of him, he can’t get a tune from the best player in the World either. Klopp knows how.

He needs to prove himself there before you’d consider taking him back? He doesn’t have to prove anything, he was pretty much ever present in 1 if the best teams we’ve ever had, 

35 minutes ago, m0e said:

Nice to see Wijnadum being the scapegoat for them 6 games, he was PART of it. Thiago actually started in the 1st 5 of them games too. But don’t let that get in the way. So Thiago was culpable too? The whole midfield was shite because,  of them 6 games Hendo & Fabinho were a CD partnership in 1 (v City) of the other 5, 1 of Hendo & fab played in CD 4 times with either Kabak or Nat. The 6th game v Fulham, had Rhys & Nat. Major upheaval in the team, Shaq, Jones an awful Ox played a few too. But let’s blame Wiji.

1 hour ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Nice to see Wijnadum being the scapegoat for them 6 games, he was PART of it. Thiago actually started in the 1st 5 of them games too. But don’t let that get in the way. So Thiago was culpable too? The whole midfield was shite because,  of them 6 games Hendo & Fabinho were a CD partnership in 1 (v City) of the other 5, 1 of Hendo & fab played in CD 4 times with either Kabak or Nat. The 6th game v Fulham, had Rhys & Nat. Major upheaval in the team, Shaq, Jones an awful Ox played a few too. But let’s blame Wiji.

I think you've missed the point, and I think you know that too

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

When all are fit he does not start over Fabinho, Thiago or Henderson. 

I’d have the Harvey Elliot of early this season in above him now too. Hopefully he comes back with the same confidence and form because the way he was playing he’d be challenging Henderson & Thiago. He was that good. 

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think he has always been one of Klopp's main men and that wouldn't change if he was available. IMO Klopp works exactly the opposite of what you are suggesting.

Klopp often talks about his " year contracts" with his players. I don't believe he would bring in a loaner who plays in front of any of his 1st team squad from the start of the season 

Edit... I do agree he was one of klopp's main men before he left though. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

He would be because klopp wouldn't treat him the same as a permanent member of the squad. Klopp would prioritise his players. He just would. If Gini hadn't left, I would have him in my 1st choice midfield. But he did leave and this conversation isn't if he'll come back on a permanent move, but if he'll come back on a loan. If he did, I believe he would be behind everyone, not because of his ability, but because he's not one of klopp's boys. 

QF, Semi Final/Final of the CL. Away to City in the League or any massive game in the run in. 1 of the 3 is missing. He’s playing Jones/Milner/Morton/Ox before Gini because they’re ‘Klopps boys’? Absolutely no chance. Anyway, it’s all bullshit. 

6 hours ago, Manny said:

PSG is an absolute basket case of a club. There could be any number of reasons he's not getting a game there - it could be tactical in terms of their top-heavy nature needing pure defensive units to cover the middle, or it could be personal in that a clique runs the dressing room and he's not favoured and therefore it's a waste of time playing him. I've got no idea. But it's definitely not as simple as that he needs to be in their team to be good enough for ours. Trent isn't good enough for England apparently, yet he's one of our best players.

I'd love him back as he's a fucking good player and a beautiful man, but as Barry says above: he's gone now, if he comes back Klopp would prioritise the permanent players, which means we wouldn't want to pay him much, but PSG would want his wages covered mostly or in full otherwise what's the point?

This just doesn't add up for me. He'll go to Newcastle or Arsenal which is a shame as he improves them both, and I hate them both.

Honestly he’s not playing because when he did he was poor, really bad actually. He was in the starting XI at the beginning of  the season  but he was phased out because of bad games. 

Why is he playing badly ? Poch’ likes him, but  he may have trouble to adjust to like in a new country.  He’s not appreciated by the Latinos according to L’Equipe because he’s a threat to Paredes. I guess he’s just Anfield sick. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Klopp often talks about his " year contracts" with his players. I don't believe he would bring in a loaner who plays in front of any of his 1st team squad from the start of the season 

Edit... I do agree he was one of klopp's main men before he left though. 

I think he took Sahin (loan from Real) back from us in January. He played regularly that year.

It's probably for the best that Gini left, although I loved him as a player. It's given Ox added impetus to not phone it in. Elliot now has the belief that he can make it here. Thiago is more instrumental and dictates play. It's had a psychological effect on the others where they realise this is their chance. 

15 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think he took Sahin (loan from Real) back from us in January. He played regularly that year.

Thay was with a view of buying him wasn't it? We wouldn't be loaning with a view to buy here. We're talking about 6 months. 

Honestly, if klopp would have him and be willing to use him as he did before, I think we should be all over it. Thiago will get injured. Henderson will get injured. Fab probably will get injured. Keita will get injured and might be gone for a month in January anyway. I see the value Gini would bring, but I just don't feel he would be a priority to klopp. 

• Upvote 1