Quantcast
Georginio Wijnaldum - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Unrighteous

Georginio Wijnaldum

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10507871/liverpool-agree-16325m-transfer-fee-for-newcastles-georginio-wijnaldum

Liverpool agree transfer fee in the region of £25m for Newcastle's Georginio Wijnaldum

Last Updated: 21/07/16 8:30am

georginio-wijnaldum-newcastle_3748413.jp

Liverpool have had a bid accepted by Newcastle for Georginio Wijnaldum

Liverpool have agreed a deal in the region of £25m with Newcastle United for midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum, according to Sky sources.

Wijnaldum, who has 30 international caps for the Netherlands, will now travel to Anfield for a medical.

The midfielder joined Newcastlein a £14.5m switch from PSV Eindhoven last summer but was unable to prevent their relegation from the Premier League.

Wijnaldum, whose situation was also being monitored by Tottenham, was Newcastle's leading scorer last season with 11 goals, four of them in a 6-2 league demolition of Norwich, although his form was patchy and he was unable to help the club retain its top-flight status following the appointment of Rafael Benitez as manager.

Everton had also been interested in Wijnaldum - with manager Ronald Koeman a big admirer of the player - but no bid has materialised from Goodison Park.

Newcastle did very well to get him for £14.5m, and he looked decent at times in their dysfunctional circus of a team. I assume we're paying about £20m plus add-ons, which in the messed-up world of Ibe-nomics is probably a fair price.

Former PSV captain, former Dutch player of the year and we're not signing him from Southampton.

Good move, looking forward to seeing him play.

• Upvote 1

Newcastle did very well to get him for £14.5m, and he looked decent at times in their dysfunctional circus of a team. I assume we're paying about £20m plus add-ons, which in the messed-up world of Ibe-nomics is probably a fair price.

Former PSV captain, former Dutch player of the year and we're not signing him from Southampton.

Good move, looking forward to seeing him play.

It's a reasonable enough fee given the absurd amounts being thrown about. Think he'll be a good signing.

• Upvote 1

He has an eye for goal, so an improvement for our midfield if he signs. Only 5 million more than we paid for Markovic who is fucking pants. 

• Upvote 1

Which of Mane, Coutinho, Firmino or Sturridge to be benched?

Well we know that isn't going to be a problem for much of the season.

• Upvote 2

I'd imagine it could possibly look like this

--------------Sturridge--------------

---------Firmino------Mane-------

-------Coutinho---Can---Wij-----

--LB---Matip---Lovren--Clyne

-------------Karius-----------

• Upvote 1

Well we know that isn't going to be a problem for much of the season.

Surely Ings and Origi would be next in line. Firmino hasn't put in a convincing performance as a striker.

Depending on fitness I reckon Firmino, a front three of Coutinho Sturridge Mane with Can Wjinaldum and probably Henderson behind them.

I'd imagine it could possibly look like this

--------------Sturridge--------------

---------Firmino------Mane-------

-------Coutinho---Can---Wij-----

--LB---Matip---Lovren--Clyne

-------------Karius-----------

Klopp has never played Coutinho in midfield ever.

Depending on fitness I reckon Firmino, a front three of Coutinho Sturridge Mane with Can Wjinaldum and probably Henderson behind them.

That's who I would bench too, but is Wijnaldum a significant improvement from Firmino?

Klopp has never played Coutinho in midfield ever.

And yet... he's played in midfield before.  Perhaps, he may play him there again?

Otherwise I'd imagine swap Firmino for Coutinho and Henderson into Coutinho's spot.  

Bench with Firmino, Origi, Grujic, Moreno, Sakho, Mignosaves, and Ojo is pretty solid.

That's who I would bench too, but is Wijnaldum a significant improvement from Firmino?

In midfield ? Undoubtedly. I've seen Wijnaldum play in midfield quite a few times, although only a couple of times for Newcastle, I think people will be pleasantly surprised.