You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

Guest Alex_K

It was always about the money. Everything else is a sideshow. Don't blame him - its a career. We should never under any circumstance have let him leave on a free however: worst commercial decision of the Klopp/Edwards era (yes, even worse than signing Keita).

30 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

It was always about the money. Everything else is a sideshow. Don't blame him - its a career. We should never under any circumstance have let him leave on a free however: worst commercial decision of the Klopp/Edwards era (yes, even worse than signing Keita).

He wanted a contract worth X, if you compare him to the likes of Salah, Mane, van Dijk he is in the queue behind them, he just is, so hes not going to get parity with them. He was good but he wasnt Souness, he wasnt Jimmy Case either. Im not knocking him he wanted the money that PSG would offer, and we cant go there so lets move on.

Guest Alex_K
4 minutes ago, redinblack said:

He wanted a contract worth X, if you compare him to the likes of Salah, Mane, van Dijk he is in the queue behind them, he just is, so hes not going to get parity with them. He was good but he wasnt Souness, he wasnt Jimmy Case either. Im not knocking him he wanted the money that PSG would offer, and we cant go there so lets move on.

He should have been sold last summer for a fee to be reinvested (or even the summer prior .. but easy saying that now when he was a huge part of the league success ..). Letting players run contracts down to 0 is Arsenal or Liverpool of late 90s / early 00s behaviour.

Just now, Alex_K said:

He should have been sold last summer for a fee to be reinvested. Letting players run contracts down to 0 is Arsenal or Liverpool of late 90s / early 00s behaviour.

Maybe yes. but given we lost Hendo, Keita was rubbish and we put Fabinho into centre back its probably as well  we didnt.

Caveat....all of this could happen again of course.

6 hours ago, Alex_K said:

He should have been sold last summer for a fee to be reinvested (or even the summer prior .. but easy saying that now when he was a huge part of the league success ..). Letting players run contracts down to 0 is Arsenal or Liverpool of late 90s / early 00s behaviour.

Yeah, FSG are just not frugal enough!

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

First thing I've heard Carra say that makes complete sense in ages.

Footballer leaves club for big money shocker!

I’m just surprised he defended us instead of standing gormlessly beside Gary Neville. 

7 hours ago, aRdja said:

LFC Twitter fans were horrible to him. Hundreds of posts tagging him and asking him to leave for a myriad of reasons e.g., making room for Thiago, blocking Keita’s path, etc. Was horrible to read. It was final straw for me, and I quit Twitter about a year ago now. 

And they were just from you!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Social media in full of cunts shocker! read all about it!

Must be an ego thing but it's hard to understand if you are famous why put yourself self in that situation. I tried twatter and only lasted a week on it, load ol bollocks. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Read his quotes. He's not saying it's the fans' fault. He explicitly states he always felt the love inside the stadium, but didn't feel like his treatment on social media was fair. It's also pretty obvious it has nothing to do with him staying or going, we just wouldn't offer him what he wanted.

It just seems like he's been wanting to make a parting shot to the section of Twitter losers we have that follow the club, which is fair enough, although it is a bit weird as every club has them, but whatever. He had said he would reveal some grievance he had in due time. 

But every player gets abuse from what I can see, it's not club specific. Why does he think it'll be less at psg? Leaving because people on social media don't love you is fucking weird. 

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Would love to see Gini win the Balon D'Or, his speech would be like Father Ted's at the Golden Clerics.

"Of course he thought it would be funny to call me a shitcunt on twitter, but who's laughing now TopOfTheKops69?

"...and now, the liars"

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, aRdja said:

LFC Twitter fans were horrible to him. Hundreds of posts tagging him and asking him to leave for a myriad of reasons e.g., making room for Thiago, blocking Keita’s path, etc. Was horrible to read. It was final straw for me, and I quit Twitter about a year ago now. 

Twitter must be very grateful to Gini.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, aRdja said:

A grown man,a multi millionaire in fact,complaining about a few idiots on twitter abusing him. It's a poor excuse from Wijnaldum and is nothing to do with why he left. He could just have been honest and nobody would have batted an eyelid but he had to go and spout such utter bullshit to justify his mega money move. Shame on you.

• Upvote 3

Sorry, but he’s poured a blob of ink on his copy book. Did the Internet dickheads cause him to shaft Barcelona within hours of PSG calling offering even more money. He went for money (and I’ve no problem with that) but don’t try to claim it was the Internet. It was money, pure and simple.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Scott_M said:

And they were just from you!

I know this is a gag, as you know that I’d take Gini before Naby any day. I’m loathe to be seen as a Naby fan. I’m as underwhelmed with him as the next guy, I just reckon spending cash to replace him as our 4th/5th choice midfielder wouldn’t be the best use of our money given our back-up option at CF is Origi who we know isn’t good enough, and Trent’s back-up is a kid who just turned 18 and yet to make his debut. 

• Upvote 1