You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

I've no idea what we offered him but I think we've paid Gini fair value. He's a great player on his day but he's normally a 6-7 out of 10. We'll all always love him for that 4-0 against Barcelona but the man himself admitted that he wanted to prove something having been left out of the lineup at the start. We're not losing Xabi Alonso or Mascherano in his pomp here, we're losing a player that was already on his way to being phased out and whilst I like what I know about the guy the wages he'll be getting at PSG are way more than we should be paying for his services. Hopefully the dressing room doesn't miss his absence but I suspect Klopp has a big part in getting them all to fight for one another anyway.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I've no idea what we offered him but I think we've paid Gini fair value. He's a great player on his day but he's normally a 6-7 out of 10. We'll all always love him for that 4-0 against Barcelona but the man himself admitted that he wanted to prove something having been left out of the lineup at the start. We're not losing Xabi Alonso or Mascherano in his pomp here, we're losing a player that was already on his way to being phased out and whilst I like what I know about the guy the wages he'll be getting at PSG are way more than we should be paying for his services. Hopefully the dressing room doesn't miss his absence but I suspect Klopp has a big part in getting them all to fight for one another anyway.

i think we might find losing gini will be a little like losing ronnie whelan all those years ago. lots of people didn't realise his value till he wasn't there anymore. gini is a wonderful footballer - he is maybe not quite a world class star, but he is in the very tier below and was tactically smart enough to carry out klopp's plans while none of that was really his natural game. i know he is on a free, but there is barely a top club in the world who haven't tried to sign him - munich, inter, juve, psg, barca. I reckon that tells you everything about his quality. 

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Its all relative. If Salah was on £100k and wanted to leave for more money somewhere we could all agree that £100k was underpaid in the market for a player of his ability.

No,I couldn't. Like most footballers,and probably on the advice of his agent,he hasn't been very honest regarding his motivation for leaving. Again,it's nothing new but does nothing to prevent fans being as cynical in how they view players in general. They are almost all greedy bastards and it's sad that football has gone like this but not surprising at all.

58 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think so myself. It's likely going to take a while to incorporate somebody into his role and I'm not sure we have anybody at the club to do it. I hope I'm wrong of course.

Thiago Fab Henderson.

No adaption required, surely.

He'll obviously be missed, it's not really debatable. He played almost every game and was the ultimate complimentary midfielder. But sometimes you have to move on.

I think he's the perfect choice for PSG with the way their team is set up. Well done by them, for once.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Gini is a better footballer than Mascherano ever was. 

• Downvote 1

Can’t blame him for taking one last big pay day, agent driven perhaps, but he’s no different from any other employee who gets the offer of a better wedge and who’s current employer doesn’t want to match it.

Hasn’t got anything to prove here given his age and contribution and he might well be missed, although I doubt Klopp and Edwards wouldn’t have a plan in place for his departure to be covered.

Cheers Gini, hope you’re shite if our paths ever cross again while you’re still playing.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Can’t blame him for taking one last big pay day, agent driven perhaps, but he’s no different from any other employee who gets the offer of a better wedge and who’s current employer doesn’t want to match it.

Hasn’t got anything to prove here given his age and contribution and he might well be missed, although I doubt Klopp and Edwards wouldn’t have a plan in place for his departure to be covered.

Cheers Gini, hope you’re shite if our paths ever cross again while you’re still playing.

Edwards plan happened last summer. 

I don’t begrudge him

He was willing to go to Barca for less money, PSG have come in late and offered him a better offer. 

He’s probably thought “actually, I’m worth more than Barca are offering me here and their club is a mess” and done the deal to head to France instead.

Good on him. Wish him well. 

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

I don’t begrudge him

He was willing to go to Barca for less money, PSG have come in late and offered him a better offer. 

He’s probably thought “actually, I’m worth more than Barca are offering me here and their club is a mess” and done the deal to head to France instead.

Good on him. Wish him well. 

Good on him for signing for bigger cunts than the original cunts he was going to sign for. 

Wijnaldum has played more minutes than any other midfielder at the club every season he's been here. I like Curtis Jones as a player but I don't reckon he's able to fully replace all of Wijnaldum's minutes.

Maybe Ox and Keita will be able to contribute a little more than they did last season. Oh, hang on.