You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

Felt sad today it’s the last time we’ll see him.

Been a great player & we have some genuine life long memories.

The club will move on. As cold as it sounds, players come and players go.

All the best Gini. Onwards & upwards. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/05/2021 at 16:57, Barrington Womble said:

I can't believe how everyone is so relaxed about him going. 50 games this season. And he's played over 40 in every season he's been here. Aside from a small patch of games a couple of years back, he's been in our first XI since he walked in. I understand there's no compromise to be made on his contract and it's tough when players are heading into their 30s, but anyone who thinks he won't leave a massive hole or we've somehow evolved passed him are telling themselves lies to feel better about letting him go. 

We will miss him as he's been ever present for years but I think it's a case of simply needing to get younger. Letting Gini leave for free at 30 years old is an easy way to start doing that. Thiago replaces his experience and you sign a 22-25 year old to start rebuilding. 

On 21/07/2016 at 10:27, Unrighteous said:

I'd imagine it could possibly look like this

--------------Sturridge--------------

---------Firmino------Mane-------

-------Coutinho---Can---Wij-----

--LB---Matip---Lovren--Clyne

-------------Karius-----------

On 21/07/2016 at 10:42, Karius said:

Underwhelming to say the least but Klopps future will live and die by these signings so for his sake I hope he knows what he's doing

On 21/07/2016 at 10:27, aRdja said:

Surely Ings and Origi would be next in line. Firmino hasn't put in a convincing performance as a striker.

On 21/07/2016 at 11:55, aRdja said:

He struggles to hold up the ball. Against Chelsea and City he played well, as we were counter attacking mostly... I'm not convinced he could cut it against teams sitting deep. His first touch often deserts him.

On 03/08/2016 at 21:58, cloggypop said:

Gini will be boss. Good signing.

On 07/08/2016 at 10:11, aRdja said:

Early days I know, but in the two games he never really looked like he has the know-how of playing CM. He struggled to get himself involved in the game. He looked decent when he had the ball, but off it, some question marks. I'd start Hendo and Can against Arsenal.

On 07/08/2016 at 10:23, aRdja said:

I'm not a fan of Hendo, far from it.. However he looked far better than Wijnaldum last night.

A selection of some cracking early post. Written off after preseason by some. No point looking for post by me, there's one. I said Bobby looks a little fat 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

A selection of some cracking early post. Written off after preseason by some. No point looking for post by me, there's one. I said Bobby looks a little fat 

I don’t think any of mine was particularly scathing. Anyhoo, full cred to him for learning the position so quickly and mastering it. At his best, there aren’t many midfielders more aesthetically pleasing to watch. 

Players like him are what make you realise you've got a special manager too. Taking a Newcastle winger that didn't exactly have the world's best clubs fawning all over him and then building your team around him as an anchor, and the results speak for themselves.

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Players like him are what make you realise you've got a special manager too. Taking a Newcastle winger that didn't exactly have the world's best clubs fawning all over him and then building your team around him as an anchor, and the results speak for themselves.

If you watch this video it becomes really clear why we bought him. He was a one man midfield and he destroyed Lucas, Milner and Allen.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

'Gini Wijnaldum. An LFC legend now and forever. What this person - this wonderful, joyful, selfless person - has done for our team I cannot sum in words. He is the architect of our success'.

Who are we to argue with the words of Jurgen Klopp.

This kind of shit is a bit pathetic. He's a highly skilled and highly paid professional sportsman moving on after a very successful stint in his last job to another before he has to retire. I like him as a player and human being but it happens all the time and will happen again. Modern football always needs a headline and drama.

• Upvote 2

I think it was the right time, I'd have liked him to stay but he would need to be a backup for me. He had too many games this season where he completely went missing, the Leeds game stands out, somehow he made 15 passes on the entire match. He did always manage to show up for the big games though. 

He was always there though, better to be on the pitch than in the medics office. 

From what I can tell he doesn't want to be switching teams multiple times, so wants his next contract to be his last before he retires, and we weren't willing to sign him for that long.