You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

23 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I think he might be joining another English club. If he was going abroad I think we’d have heard about it by now. If I had to hazard a guess I’d say it will be Chelsea. 

Can't see it, it will be Liverpool or abroad.  Juventus is the home for free midfielders. Or maybe Inter who love PL players. Barca are the other obvious option. All 3 come with with huge  uncertainty, Juve haven't qualified for the CL yet, Inter can't pay wages and Barcelona are about to sack the man who wants Gini.

I see Bayern are favorites which surprises me, hadn't heard them mentioned.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

umm..

Right. Wrote that pretty early this morning, but basically Gini knows they'll be a party for him when he leaves, and that's when he'll spring the surprise.

Cheers and high fives all around.

Makes sense now, right ?

6 minutes ago, neko said:

Right. Wrote that pretty early this morning, but basically Gini knows they'll be a party for him when he leaves, and that's when he'll spring the surprise.

Cheers and high fives all around.

Makes sense now, right ?

tenor.gif

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, No2 said:

Can't see it, it will be Liverpool or abroad.  Juventus is the home for free midfielders. Or maybe Inter who love PL players. Barca are the other obvious option. All 3 come with with huge  uncertainty, Juve haven't qualified for the CL yet, Inter can't pay wages and Barcelona are about to sack the man who wants Gini.

I see Bayern are favorites which surprises me, hadn't heard them mentioned.

It seems PSG is after him according to L’Equipe 

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He'll have had no lack of offers, because he's a class player. Don't understand how people still so casually and consistently underrate him.

I don't think it's hard to understand. He has had his fair share of great performances in big matches here, but he has in large part been a water-carrier. Not that that's not important in a team, but it's also not irreplaceable. And he's 30 asking for a lot of years and big wages. He does have a bizarre portion of fans against him that is unfair, though.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think it's hard to understand. He has had his fair share of great performances in big matches here, but he has in large part been a water-carrier. Not that that's not important in a team, but it's also not irreplaceable. And he's 30 asking for a lot of years and big wages. He does have a bizarre portion of fans against him that is unfair, though.

Him being 30 and wanting big wages are perfectly good reasons for him moving on. Him being a "water-carrier" is utter nonsense. One of the hardest working players in the league, with the touch of a winger and a good defensive instinct.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Him being 30 and wanting big wages are perfectly good reasons for him moving on. Him being a "water-carrier" is utter nonsense. One of the hardest working players in the league, with the touch of a winger and a good defensive instinct.

It's not nonsense. His role in the team has always been in a support role to others. He runs alot, sees the ball less than the majority of our players, but aims to conserve it and pass it primarily sideways when he gets it. That is all evident. It's not meant to be disparaging.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not nonsense. His role in the team has always been in a support role to others. He runs alot, sees the ball less than the majority of our players, but aims to conserve it and pass it primarily sideways when he gets it. That is all evident. It's not meant to be disparaging.

It's simply massively underplays his contribution to the side.  It's a football team, it's everyone's role to support others. Also, the move he's probably best known for in this team is picking up the ball in a crowded area and creating an angle for Robbo to get forward.

And it is a disparaging term for a player. 

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It's simply massively underplays his contribution to the side.  It's a football team, it's everyone's role to support others. Also, the move he's probably best known for in this team is picking up the ball in a crowded area and creating an angle for Robbo to get forward.

And it is a disparaging term for a player. 

I don't think it underplays anything. Didn't mean it that way.

If he scores the winner before scratching his own arsehole then forcibly stuffing his fingers up at The Owl’s nostrils - the only truly fitting goodbye tribute Hodgson deserves this weekend - I still won’t like him more than I already do. Just a class act and we’ve done very, very well out of him.

• Upvote 5

I wonder if part of the reason he's moving on is to play a different role on the pitch. He's good enough going forward that he can play as a 10 and he plays a more attacking role for the Dutch national team than he does for us. When we're winning games he'll quite often have a little spell after 80 minutes when he starts driving forward more, going past players with the ball, like he gives himself a bit more freedom when he knows the result isn't (or shouldn't be) in doubt.

I'd like to see him do that more but in our system our centre mids are about covering, pressing, ball retention, and not much else. He's always had to play as the safest midfielder because no one else does it as well as he does. (Seriously, is there any point pressing him?) It's a boring job for a player to do forever if they can get forward and score goals though. Maybe he'd have accepted that contract offer if it guaranteed a bit more of an attacking role.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I reckon Gini is the most rated underrated player ever. 

That would be Paul Scholes. I worked in Manchester for a few years and all the manc fans talked about was how amazing he was and how underrated, if he'd been a European player they'd have built the national team around him, how he never won a Ballon d'Or was a joke, best player in the best English side of all time, etc. Vomit inducing, and this was in like 2014 so they'd had plenty of opportunity to see midfielders that Paul Scholes didn't get anywhere near in his life.

On 18/01/2021 at 09:45, Barrington Womble said:

Looking round this forum today, you wouldn't think we've a proven track record with loads of our players. The forwards and Gini all getting slated while everyone heaps praise on Thiago. I find it really weird how quickly our supporters dismiss the value of players who have proven their worth and a lad who's barely kicked a ball for us, who's played 5 or 6 games and we've barely scored while he's on the pitch, who was completely fucking dominated by our midfield when we played against him is lauded like he's the 2nd fucking coming of Maradona. It is really bizarre. 

I think it’s because Thiago is proven world class talent that has won everything in his path over the last 10 years as a pivotal player for Barca and Bayern. I personally haven’t dismissed anyone, as I have been defending Mane. It’s not one or the other. You can still recognise the proven record of our players whilst acknowledging the proven record of Thiago and acknowledging how well he has been playing. In fact, it seems to be the consistent thing to do.  

27 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

That would be Paul Scholes. I worked in Manchester for a few years and all the manc fans talked about was how amazing he was and how underrated, if he'd been a European player they'd have built the national team around him, how he never won a Ballon d'Or was a joke, best player in the best English side of all time, etc. Vomit inducing, and this was in like 2014 so they'd had plenty of opportunity to see midfielders that Paul Scholes didn't get anywhere near in his life.

Fair comment. 

Also, Gini is a more affective player than Scholes. Gini is also better at dribbling, close control, creating space, moving the ball effectively, and placing a shot. 

Scholes was better at hitting a ball dead hard.