You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Looking round this forum today, you wouldn't think we've a proven track record with loads of our players. The forwards and Gini all getting slated while everyone heaps praise on Thiago. I find it really weird how quickly our supporters dismiss the value of players who have proven their worth and a lad who's barely kicked a ball for us, who's played 5 or 6 games and we've barely scored while he's on the pitch, who was completely fucking dominated by our midfield when we played against him is lauded like he's the 2nd fucking coming of Maradona. It is really bizarre. 

It is probably because people know just how good these players can be and the form now is just so terrible.

45 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

It is probably because people know just how good these players can be and the form now is just so terrible.

they're not getting the ball into them in the right spaces. Yesterday Firmino could and should have scored imo (but then he's been a bit like that since his injury in April 19), but Salah and Mane had 2 and 3 players around them every time because we don't get the ball into them fast enough - they can't help the ball coming through. So our fans happily go "our forwards are shit, Gini is shit", but then get on their knees and worship the bloke who's job it is to create from midfield and we've barely scored a goal while he has been doing it. Get our main lads back into midfield and you see a completely different side and you see our forwards getting more chance. The amount of chances we create as a team from getting the ball quickly into our front lads or getting it towards them and the press winning the 2nd ball is incredible. The ball is now getting in slower and there's no midfield press when we don't win the 1st ball or it gets pinched off the forwards toes. We are just not pinning in sides, we are dominating the ball, but it's mostly side to side shit 30 to 40 yards from goal. Our ability to play vertical passes and then follow them in for the scraps has completely disappeared.  

I haven't looked at the heat maps of the full backs either, but I would be shocked if they're not 10 yards deeper than before we lost VVD. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shouldn’t we all be kicking off a bit more about this lad not being offered a contract?  In a season ravaged by injury he is almost constantly available, and constantly good. He’s trusted in all the big games, and is so intelligent and consistent we will miss him hugely.

The fact he hasn’t announced we’re he’s going could be that it’s Barca but he’s waiting to see if Koeman gets sacked first.

If he joins them under a new coach he could be on the bench a lot.

Anyway, start kicking off. We need this brilliant footballer to stay.

Its not a case of the club not wanting to keep him, they just don't want to keep him for the wages and number of years he and his agent want. There talk a few months back he wanted parity with the clubs top earners and as good as he is, he isn't worth 200k a week. And he will get that if he moves when you included signing on fees

6 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Shouldn’t we all be kicking off a bit more about this lad not being offered a contract?  In a season ravaged by injury he is almost constantly available, and constantly good. He’s trusted in all the big games, and is so intelligent and consistent we will miss him hugely.

The fact he hasn’t announced we’re he’s going could be that it’s Barca but he’s waiting to see if Koeman gets sacked first.

We've been brainwashed into this moneyball nonsense and to just accept we don't compete financially. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I think we should keep him, and I believe he’ll be here next season.

Well have to qualify for Champions League to play against Barcelona, then he'll be here next season. 

£200k a week for four years for a 30 year old is a huge deal at the best of times. In a summer where all clubs have reduced revenues I'd be surprised if he gets anything like it.

Maybe he's holding out until his contract actually expires so he can sign for another English club.

8 hours ago, Reckoner said:

He has been offered a contract. He chooses not to sign it as he considers the terms dont reflect his standing.

47 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Wouldn't miss him, forget he's even on the pitch more than half the time. Maybe that's the reason he's never injured.

A bit harsh but he's not been without blame since he refused to sign and unsettled the positivity around the squad. He simply has to play given how indifferent our fit back up players are.

The squad is just starting to age players turning 30 or 31 over the summer and the start of next season although thats not classed as old in "normal everyday life" its that age were some players kick on (Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo, Gary Mac etc.) but its also were alot of players start a decline i think when you have 4 or 5 players turning that age all around the same time it starts to become a problem, theres no sell on value or its lower injuries / fitness issues for some i personally wouldnt give Gini the £150 -200k a week its reported he wants id use that cash to pay the wages of 2 or 3 younger players i know they would also come with transfer fees it just doesnt make sense to pay (in his last year of3 year contract) a 34 year old that kind of money, same goes for Milner £150k a week for a 35 year old doesnt make sense, Both really good players in the squad but time to move on from them and good luck to them wereever they end up (If Milner retired id keep him on the coaching staff).

I’m not arsed about him going tbh, there’s a reason he’s been labelled ghost on here, if everyone in midfield is fit he’s not playing it’s that simple.

There’s so many better midfielders for our system out there, the 200k a week he’s asking for is a pisstake.

I like Gini he’s always gave 100% but it’s time for him to move on, same goes for Milner I’d keep him on back room if that’s an option but hes got to be replaced I thought him and Gini yesterday were woeful, so sloppy and luckily for us Villa were just as bad giving it away.

Nowhere has it been reliably reported he wants 200k a week and of all the 30-31 year olds to keep it would be him. Understandably he doesn't want to be making less than fellas he sees on the bench week in and week out.

There are very few midfielders out there who are better for the system we were playing when we were on top. 

• 1 month later...