You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

8 hours ago, m0e said:

I reckon he misses having an attacking role, wants a new challenge and is pissed off about the salary. 3 big reasons to want to leave.

You can add a possible 4th, in that he's sick of the weather.

Yea, I can see all of those. If he leaves I'll be disappointed but can't hold it against him. At least he hasn't been moaning and crying to the press in his national team outings and pretending to have a sore back.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Yea, I can see all of those. If he leaves I'll be disappointed but can't hold it against him. At least he hasn't been moaning and crying to the press in his national team outings and pretending to have a sore back.

Too busy scoring goals for Virgil.

You genuinely can't put a price on what both Gini and Henderson bring to the side. It used to wind me up when uneducated morons referred to it as the "Brexit midfield" (adding Milner in there with them), as they clearly failed to see the sheer amount of ground both of them covered in 90 minutes, week in, week out. 

3 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I’ve never heard the term ‘Brexit Midfield’. What’s the relevance to Brexit in a highly functioning if unspectacular midfield trio? 

I assume people who say it basically mean "shit english versions for the sake of english, when european versions would be better" or something equally nonsensical.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Brexit midfield thing was when we played Henderson, Milner and Ox, I think it was against City in the Champions League at Anfield. Was great banter cos they're all English innit. Wijnaldum logically had nothing to do with that, though.

The Brexit midfield was used when Gini was playing as well (even though it makes no sense) - mostly used to see it on twitter from the Anfield Index gobshites. Its usually the same kind of muppets that love Keita and hate Hendo.

Wijnaldum is a key member of the squad and first team. The only other player in the squad capable of doing a similar job is Henderson, even if I’d argue they are somewhat different. Wijnaldum is even better at the pressing and better one on one with and without the ball.

He plays every game, and he normally plays well. Very versatile, can play any position in midfield if needed.

Get the contract signed.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think he should have been tied down to an improved contract at least 18 months ago and can't see him signing anything now for us as the finances are likely to be far better elsewhere. 

Only hope is that they left Milner's renewal to the last minute too.

10 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Wijnaldum is a key member of the squad and first team. The only other player in the squad capable of doing a similar job is Henderson, even if I’d argue they are somewhat different. Wijnaldum is even better at the pressing and better one on one with and without the ball.

He plays every game, and he normally plays well. Very versatile, can play any position in midfield if needed.

Get the contract signed.

Wijnaldum was less popular when we thought he needed to be sacrificed to get Thiago.

If I was in GW’s position, I might be looking at next season and seeing the midfield first choice being Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson. GW will be 31 next season – as will Henderson. If a successor to Henderson is looked for that player will be ahead of GW. So, the risk is that for the last 3-4 years of his career (assuming he will be finishing at 34/35) he is at a big club, with a good contract, but a squad player. He is too good a player to be squad at Liverpool but the longer he is the less likely he is to get a move to a good club. Moving this season on a free makes a lot of career sense.

I wish that this was not the case.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I think he should have been tied down to an improved contract at least 18 months ago and can't see him signing anything now for us as the finances are likely to be far better elsewhere. 

Agreed. Still doesnt negate the fact if he wants a new challenge \ big signing on fee a free gives him, he still will not have signed.

The way I view it is I want Gini to stay. But if the club or gini want to move on, I'll be more pissed off at him leaving for nothing than anything else.

2 hours ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

If I was in GW’s position, I might be looking at next season and seeing the midfield first choice being Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson. GW will be 31 next season – as will Henderson. If a successor to Henderson is looked for that player will be ahead of GW. So, the risk is that for the last 3-4 years of his career (assuming he will be finishing at 34/35) he is at a big club, with a good contract, but a squad player. He is too good a player to be squad at Liverpool but the longer he is the less likely he is to get a move to a good club. Moving this season on a free makes a lot of career sense.

I wish that this was not the case.

He might be a squad player if he stays, but he knows he will play many ganes because of injury’s record of both Hendo and Alcantara.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Agreed. Still doesnt negate the fact if he wants a new challenge \ big signing on fee a free gives him, he still will not have signed.

The way I view it is I want Gini to stay. But if the club or gini want to move on, I'll be more pissed off at him leaving for nothing than anything else.

Being able to leave for free would have been factored into the negotiations.  Too many have left for free for it to be anything other than a policy.

23 hours ago, Mark M said:

The Brexit midfield was used when Gini was playing as well (even though it makes no sense) - mostly used to see it on twitter from the Anfield Index gobshites. Its usually the same kind of muppets that love Keita and hate Hendo.

Bingo.