You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

8 hours ago, J-V said:

He stays fit, another reason why he must be kept.

Middle of match yesterday was thinking Gini's contract negotiation position considerably strengthened by current injury list. Glad I not on LFC contracts renewal as I am the hysterical fanny who would be shoving a hefty 3 year could contract under his nose this morning. All joking aside he deserves it and as you said we need him. 

What do people think our best midfield is? Or does it just depend on the opponent? I ask because I can think of four players who all have ‘first name on the teamsheet’ status in midfield. Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo, and Gini. My instant response is Fabinho, Thiago, Gini’ but that understates Henderson’s teamwork, leadership, and systemic importance. 

31 minutes ago, Numero said:

What do people think our best midfield is? Or does it just depend on the opponent? I ask because I can think of four players who all have ‘first name on the teamsheet’ status in midfield. Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo, and Gini. My instant response is Fabinho, Thiago, Gini’ but that understates Henderson’s teamwork, leadership, and systemic importance. 

Thiago is still unproven for us. If he's everything we hope and expect, it has to be Gini that misses out.

43 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I'm still yet to figure out any logical reason for us letting him go.

It's a harder decision than people are making it out to be. He's on low wages right now, the wages from his first contract. We're getting a brilliant deal out of it right now because of that. The problem is that because of how big of a contributor he's been, he now deserves a massive pay rise and a long term deal, at the age of 30.

And most intelligent clubs who don't have unlimited money don't usually do that kind of thing because the value of a 30 year old player gradually goes down. So you're paying much higher wages for a player whose performance is likely to be worse.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's a harder decision than people are making it out to be. He's on low wages right now, the wages from his first contract. We're getting a brilliant deal out of it right now because of that. The problem is that because of how big of a contributor he's been, he now deserves a massive pay rise and a long term deal, at the age of 30.

And most intelligent clubs who don't have unlimited money don't usually do that kind of thing because the value of a 30 year old player gradually goes down. So you're paying much higher wages for a player whose performance is likely to be worse.

If he was at another club and about to leave on a free I'd want us to be all over trying to sign him, and if that was the case then free transfers normally have higher wages anyway so I wouldn't see an issue. 

He is consistently one of our best players, versatile, and always fit, and I haven't seen any indication of him getting worse as he's gotten older.

I just compare it to when we signed Milner, similar age to what Gini is now, on a free, big wages but that didn't matter. 5 years on and he's just as good and reliable as when we got him. Plus we've just signed Thiago who is a similar age. Why was giving him and James a big contract sound but when it comes to Gini they're suddenly concerned about depreciation of their assets?

15 minutes ago, Aventus said:

If he was at another club and about to leave on a free I'd want us to be all over trying to sign him, and if that was the case then free transfers normally have higher wages anyway so I wouldn't see an issue. 

He is consistently one of our best players, versatile, and always fit, and I haven't seen any indication of him getting worse as he's gotten older.

I just compare it to when we signed Milner, similar age to what Gini is now, on a free, big wages but that didn't matter. 5 years on and he's just as good and reliable as when we got him. Plus we've just signed Thiago who is a similar age. Why was giving him and James a big contract sound but when it comes to Gini they're suddenly concerned about depreciation of their assets?

To answer your question, I think we were probably one of Milner's only attractive suitors and could dictate the terms we wanted. Gini probably has loads of great offers from top clubs and it's tough to negotiate and compete with that.

My opinion is I'm fine either way. He's super important and I'd like him to stay, but I get the reasoning if he goes.

I don't get the reasoning at all and I bet we don't sign a replacement for him as that was basically Thiago. 

If we were in this crisis next season our midfield line up for the next game would be:

Jones

Minamino

Milner

Ox, Keita and Henderson all have big injury problems. Milner coming up to 36.

I said before this is FSGs Scottie Pippen and its giving them a big hard on.

13 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I don't get the reasoning at all and I bet we don't sign a replacement for him as that was basically Thiago. 

If we were in this crisis next season our midfield line up for the next game would be:

Jones

Minamino

Milner

Ox, Keita and Henderson all have big injury problems. Milner coming up to 36.

I said before this is FSGs Scottie Pippen and its giving them a big hard on.

The reasoning behind not giving him a big contract is sound, but there's always individual cases that can make that kind of thinking look stupid. Whether Wijnaldum is a special player who will keep high performance levels and be worth the big money into his 30's is definitely debatable.

8 hours ago, Numero said:

Henderson, Thiago, Gini

Fabinho can stay at CB with VVD. He didn't break a sweat last night. 

If Fabinho is in the middle then Gini dips out i'm afraid. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Henderson, Thiago, Gini

Fabinho can stay at CB with VVD. He didn't break a sweat last night. 

If Fabinho is in the middle then Gini dips out i'm afraid. 

Yeah it’s a toughie. Henderson has to start for me. He’s been the best midfielder for us since mid-year 18/19.

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Don’t think we have any choice, he’s clearly been tapped up by Barca and will be going there on a free in the summer.

Thats possible but I don't think Red Ron will be there and tapped up is harsh on Gini. I'd expect the player, the manager and the club are all fully aware of whats happening next. Wouldnt be surprised the slightest if he just wants something different,  Juventus maybe, they do like a free midfielder.