You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

Turned out to be a better player than Joe Allen, but only just, and not by as much as anticipated. Hopefully he will turn up in away fixtures next season as well.

He's already bettered Allen's output in the 4 years he was with us. He's twice the player Allen is.

That was Clyne you big racist.

There's a non zero chance that I am the big racist here.

I'm sure it was headed down by number 5. I'm pretty sure it was Wijnaldum and not Clyne.

Was definitely Gini with the little downward header. Clyne, rightly, left the ball for Lallana as the ball rolled across the area.

He's already bettered Allen's output in the 4 years he was with us. He's twice the player Allen is.

He's better, but that's not exactly hard as I don't rate Joe Allen one bit. Allen fits into the Lucas category of having great character but too many physical limitations to cut it at the elite level.

• Upvote 1

He plays further forward and therefore in less  space but he combines an ability to play in tight spaces while taking risks with the ball where the oportunity arises. He is also our most effective midfielder (more so than Lalanna) at getting beyond the striker to create other options and he is pretty good in the air. He is therefore more dependent on being fed to him than other midfielders. He is also our most mobile midfielder and covers alot of ground and is disciplined. He does need to improve his ability to tackle - in fact the best tackler we have is Firminho. I am delighted he plays for us and so is Juergen. Ignore the uneducated negative views on here - Joe Allen should never have been at this club in the first place.

He plays further forward and therefore in less  space but he combines an ability to play in tight spaces while taking risks with the ball where the oportunity arises. He is also our most effective midfielder (more so than Lalanna) at getting beyond the striker to create other options and he is pretty good in the air. He is therefore more dependent on being fed to him than other midfielders. He is also our most mobile midfielder and covers alot of ground and is disciplined. He does need to improve his ability to tackle - in fact the best tackler we have is Firminho. I am delighted he plays for us and so is Juergen. Ignore the uneducated negative views on here - Joe Allen should never have been at this club in the first place.

Ignore ALL negative views or just ones that disagree with your negative views?

Like most others, he could have done with a few games on the bench, but we just didn't have that luxury.

6 goals and 11 assists is a very decent initial return. He really needs to start producing the same away from home, though.

Hopefully serious competition for his place will bring him on further.

You could see the difference once he managed to score. He's not good enough for our club if we want to go places imo. He'd look decent in a team that dominates games a lot and scores for fun, he's pretty much useless if you are in a battle.

I like him but for a central midfielder he's far too passive. I've yet to see him go hunting for the ball, get stuck in, be the man, take a game by the scruff of the neck etc.

Far too often a peripheral figure imo.

If we bring in Keita then I would perm 3 from Keita, Can, Lallana and Coutinho. Wijnaldum and Hendo would be fine options from the bench.

Did he not take a game by the scruff of the neck yesterday? That goal pretty emphatically turned things in our favour.

He's clearly an excellent footballer. Inconsistent, yes, but if he played to his full level for 90 mins every game we'd be selling him to Barcelona for 80 squillion. So, swings and roundabouts.

He's had a marvellous first season.

Guest Pistonbroke

I like him but for a central midfielder he's far too passive. I've yet to see him go hunting for the ball, get stuck in, be the man, take a game by the scruff of the neck etc.

If we bring in Keita then I would perm 3 from Keita, Can, Lallana and Coutinho. Wijnaldum and Hendo would be fine options from the bench.

I'd be happy enough having him as a squad player, just not as a starter. Decent option to have from the bench if we are dominating a game and leading by a few, not so much if we are chasing a game. 

What's Keitas injury record like because every one of our midfielders named will be injured for varying lengths of time at some stage next year. Wijnaldum had a couple of games out, Can was carrying an injury, lallana was out for weeks a couple of times, coutinho had his usual Christmas break and Henderson out for months again.

While we will have a first choice midfield, how often we see it will be another thing.

He plays further forward and therefore in less space but he combines an ability to play in tight spaces while taking risks with the ball where the oportunity arises. He is also our most effective midfielder (more so than Lalanna) at getting beyond the striker to create other options and he is pretty good in the air. He is therefore more dependent on being fed to him than other midfielders. He is also our most mobile midfielder and covers alot of ground and is disciplined. He does need to improve his ability to tackle - in fact the best tackler we have is Firminho. I am delighted he plays for us and so is Juergen. Ignore the uneducated negative views on here - Joe Allen should never have been at this club in the first place.

He's actually playing a fair bit further back than I'm used to seeing him.