You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

Klopp has such a vibrant personality and infectious enthusiasm, that it's going to be interesting to see how long this squad will take to break him.

I reckon January 2018. The expectation of this club, coupled with the fact we get every teams best game week in week out, will quickly reveal the many flaws this group of players has.

His signings, his team

Klopp: This is MY Liverpool team now - and it has a special quality “Of course it’s my team, my squad now. We will see what happens before August 31, but after all the transfers, this time it is my team."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-team-now-special-11683206

Jurgen Klopp says his revamped Liverpool squad possesses “a special quality” which was lacking last season as he insisted: “This is my team now.”

The Reds boss has welcomed seven new signings this summer and off-loaded those who didn't feature in his plans. Klopp's first pre-season was always going to be a crucial period and he's been delighted by what's been achieved so far at their California training base. “If you have seen them in training, there is a special quality that we did not have last year,” said Klopp, speaking prior to the news about Loris Karius' broken hand.

“New players have to bring in their quality. But it doesn’t mean they have to play all the time. “Their quality can be brought on to the pitch or it can push all the others on to the next level. “If one player pushes 11 from last season on to the next level, imagine what that will mean? That's how it works. “Of course it’s my team, my squad now. We will see what happens before August 31, but after all the transfers, this time it is my team.

“There are no players probably who are here any more who I don’t want. There are no transfers I didn’t want, we have not sold anyone I didn’t want us to sell. What they’ve done so far is more than okay. It is a different situation to last year." Key to Klopp's plans is building a sense of togetherness and unity in the squad. 

A lack of respect won't be tolerated, underlined by the manager's decision to send Mamadou Sakho home in disgrace earlier this week after repeatedly breaking club rules. "I want a special team spirit,” he added. “It looks like I want to create a bunch of friends or something. "Yeah, they like each other by the way so that's not a problem but it's not like that. I just think when people work together and back each other and respect each other in a special way everything carries more worth. It's better. “You should try to do it. If in the end one, two or three of them aren't involved to the same level then we might have to accept that.”

With Liverpool competing on four fronts, they ended up playing 63 matches in all competitions last season with time on the training field in desperately short supply. With no European football on the agenda in 2016/17, Klopp's first full campaign at the helm promises to be very different.

READ MORE

There will be much more time to work with his squad between matches and the manager has vowed that they will make it count. “We have to be prepared,” he said. “Last year it was clear. In the week we played let’s say Dortmund or Man United then at the weekend a team who fights for the league. “It’s so different with a game every three days, although of course teams who are successful have to deal with that. We did our best. It wasn’t perfect but not too bad. “This time we will play on Saturday or Sunday and then have seven days before the next one. “We have to use that time and we will do. We believe in training, I have always said that. “It’s intense - a lot of tactics, a lot of possession game, a lot of common defending, all this stuff. “We enjoy this together, it’s nice for the players. It’s real training to bring the quality of these players together. “This time is not for a holiday. It is to get each little advantage you can in a season. “We have 20 games less this season but I'd say the possibility for 50 sessions more. We have to use it.”

There's a caveat in here (by Pearce) that this interview was done before the news about Karius breaking his hand. Of interest to me is that the manager "probably" has all the players he wants and that there may still be transfers to come. Not sure whether they all happen before the transfer window closes, but this is his team now by his own admission.

Klopp is certainly going right out on a limb there. I think he is well capable of getting that group of players fired up and trained to within an inch of their lives but he can't prevent injuries or expect to maintain a superhuman intensity for extended periods. Not enough cover in the squad and I think there is a certain amount of bravado in what he says to cover the fact we have failed to get many of our targets, Personally I think he would have been better alluding to that rather than sticking his neck on the block because we will see some knives coming out if we perform poorly   

Jesé surpasses Alexandre Lacazette as PSG’s new priority

According to today’s edition of L’Équipe, Spanish attacker Jesé has surpassed Alexandre Lacazette in PSG’s list of summer transfer window priorities.

The 23 year old can play on the wings or down the middle as a replacement for Edinson Cavani. The Spaniard is now Les Parisiens’s priority, even if they continue to closely monitor the developments in the future of Alexandre Lacazette.

The reason for this change of heart?

Laurent Blanc and Olivier Létang preferred Alexandre Lacazette, Unai Emery and Patrick Kluivert appear to prefer Jesé.

PSG’s relationship with Lyon at the moment is very difficult, and Les Gones would surely make Les Parisiens overpay considerably to land Lacazette. President Aulas is being very greedy with the price tag for the French striker, pushing PSG to go for Jesé instead.

Jesé received a contract extension offer from Real Madrid recently, with his current deal expiring in 2017. He did not respond to the offer from Los Blancos because he wants to leave the club.

Real Madrid and PSG are in advanced discussions to finalise a possible deal. Although Jesé is listening to Les Parisiens’s arguments, it is not certain that he will join the club.

His priority appears to be joining the English Premier League and specifically Liverpool, who are following him intensely. If he leaves Real Madrid, he wants to do so in order to receive regular playing time, which is something PSG cannot guarantee him.

What the hell? They offered the job to Klinsmann mid season for fucks sake.

In that power struggle between Rafa and H&G, I know who I'd back to have our best interest.

why do you think they courted Klinsmann?  Duh.

I would back neither of them.  But to bring this right up to date, I wouldn't back FSG or Klopp either.  

• Downvote 1

Klopp is certainly going right out on a limb there. I think he is well capable of getting that group of players fired up and trained to within an inch of their lives but he can't prevent injuries or expect to maintain a superhuman intensity for extended periods. Not enough cover in the squad and I think there is a certain amount of bravado in what he says to cover the fact we have failed to get many of our targets, Personally I think he would have been better alluding to that rather than sticking his neck on the block because we will see some knives coming out if we perform poorly   

I admire the balls out nature of his remarks.  He's right, in that we should be in a position to focus all of our energy into the league campaign.  We'll play less than 50 competitive games. We've got a massive squad.  

Would you say there success, or the quality of the squad they have, is anywhere near what you'd expect from a club that has spent that much money though?

I think beforehand, you'd say no, they should have done far better.

In retrospect, I think it's about right.

You have to factor in the catchup City were doing. It wasn't like there were already doing quite well, they weren't. They were bang average at best, and seriously prone to fucking up quite regularly.

It cost Chelsea a fortune to 'succeed' and they were already becoming half decent (although people often forget the investment they had prior to Abramovich - namely Bates and Hardman).

Of course, I'm biased, but I'd say are not an example of spending badly, I think they are typical of how difficult it is even when you have a tonne of money. They don't have the stature of United or Liverpool - although they are now far more credible than a decade ago (as are Chelsea).

Klopp has such a vibrant personality and infectious enthusiasm, that it's going to be interesting to see how long this squad will take to break him.

I reckon January 2018. The expectation of this club, coupled with the fact we get every teams best game week in week out, will quickly reveal the many flaws this group of players has.

Klopp is a manager most would like at their own club. He's intelligent, forthright, and very likeable.

He's not a miracle worker though - and he's in a very difficult league at a club with very high aspirations. For Liverpool, it's not a case of a mid-table club wanting to get better, it's a case of a club who believe their current predicament is below par and needs to be put back on track. To some, there's not much difference, but I think it's a critical difference.

He needs funds and time - and neither are in abundance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1