You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

You know what, I'm alright with the idea of Millie as first choice left back. I rate him highly, he's a solid, dependable pro, been there, won that and has the medals to back it up. I think he'd be an improvement in central midfield but if not there at least have him on the field. He can fill in anywhere if needed during the game, scores penalties, is consistent. When we're 3-0 up at home with half an hour left, Klopp can give Moreno a run out if he wants. Sub him on for Mignolet, Millie fly goalie for the last half hour.

Milner is an 'hones pro', which is the football equivalent of calling a fat bird bubbly.

Meanwhile, the mancs and Chelsea are getting their weasels greased by page three girls.

Remember the days of buying players like mascherano and Torres and the like? I seem to remember that worked that 'buying good players' shit.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Torres recently said that the owners see us as an investment with young players which is why he wanted to leave. Was told by Commoli that they wanted to buy young players rather than established players with the view to sell them on.

We will always be in a constant state of rebuilding while our rivals move ahead of us even further.

This Coric lad may well be a very good player and improve us but I can't really get excited when I feel the owners will want to sell him in 3 years time for about 50m or he realises that we only exist to make a profit.

• Upvote 1

Yes and no.

I think that was certainly their original plan. I think the TV money may have muddied the waters.

But lets not kid ourselves - FSG are here to make money and absolutely nothing else. The couldn't give a fuck about our heritage or future except as valued consumers and investment.

But can we find another owner who has a different view?

I would guess that they have been surprised at just how much money we have spent and still not been winners.....from there i think they now have a clear exit strategy as they won't throw any more at it.

The club is worth a lot more now than when they bought it but sits in arguably a no better or maybe even worse situation in terms of on the pitch....they will sell shortly in my view, the new stand has been built to up the sale price it is very telling that so much of the increased capacity is corporate/hospitality seats it all adds to the benefits for the next buyer....they got the club in a fire sale for next to nothing and it is worth what 3 times as much now?....all well and good but on the pitch we haven't improved at all.

Problem is the value of the club and the price they will want is very high - that makes it not so easy to get new owners who will throw big money at the team to make us competitive again.

I think we are in danger of losing a little perspective. It's certainly not perfect, but we are overlooking the good that has been done this summer.

Three players to go straight into the first team and improve weak areas:

Karius (very unlucky on the injury)

Matip (really looked the part on his debut yesterday)

Mane (instant game changing impact from this fella, and already one of our most important players)

Beyond those three we signed a talented young midfielder who has a trophy or two under his belt already, in his homeland. We also signed Wijnaldum, who is a bit of a head scratcher, but he's by no means a bad player. The midfield balance is a bit off but I expect it will settle down a bit when Can gets going again. I also suspect Klopp has a big change to make there in future (Henderson) but won't go near it yet until he sees what Henderson is made of sans heel injury, and also waits until a top class choice he wants becomes available.

We are fine up front. To better what we have will need enormous money and, probably, Champions League football. We have options and we will score plenty of goals this season, no problem.

Left back is the odd one, as everyone keeps saying, but if we don't sign one I'm prepared to see what Milner can do. He's not getting ahead of Mane any time soon, and he's not the man for the middle, even if he wants to be, but he is a leader and a good pro, so a bit of that at left back might be just what is needed for the time being.

We won at Arsenal. Nice one.

We lost at Burnley, That still sticks in the throat and we have to cut that out.

We were unlucky to only draw at Spurs.

It's a mixed start but I think we will improve. Let it settle down and see what we've got.

• Upvote 1

I think we are in danger of losing a little perspective. It's certainly not perfect, but we are overlooking the good that has been done this summer.

Mane (instant game changing impact from this fella, and already one of our most important players)

Beyond those three we signed a talented young midfielder who has a trophy or two under his belt already, in his homeland.

We also signed Wijnaldum, who is a bit of a head scratcher, but he's by no means a bad player. The midfield balance is a bit off but I expect it will settle down a bit when Can gets going again. I also suspect Klopp has a big change to make there in future (Henderson) but won't go near it yet until he sees what Henderson is made of sans heel injury, and also waits until a top class choice he wants becomes available.

We are fine up front. To better what we have will need enormous money and, probably, Champions League football.

Left back is the odd one, as everyone keeps saying, but if we don't sign one I'm prepared to see what Milner can do. He's not getting ahead of Mane any time soon, and he's not the man for the middle, even if he wants to be, but he is a leader and a good pro, so a bit of that at left back might be just what is needed for the time being.

I mean no offence, G, but you (anyone) could have gone through our summer business at any point in the last decade and just about thrown enough of a positive spin on it (as you impressively have!) to make it appear like we've done well.

Here's a different take - We've got one decent fullback in the squad, the entire central midfield is fucking awful, nobody to take a set piece, and the strike force is a crock, a kid, a number 10, and a squad player coming back from a year off.

The squad appears to be largely devoid of intelligence and balls, epitomised by our captain, and our complete inability to manage different parts of a game has already been evidenced again this season. The result of the Spurs game, in isolation, is fine - point away to a team that finished in the top four last season. But the manner of going from dominating a match to shitting the bed was depressingly familiar, and it's the reason we'll probably finish 5th-8th again. Good teams don't fuck up from that position in a game. Sadly, we're not a good team.

...obviously I hope you're right!

• Upvote 2

Beyond those three we signed a talented young midfielder who has a trophy or two under his belt already, in his homeland. We also signed Wijnaldum, who is a bit of a head scratcher, but he's by no means a bad player. The midfield balance is a bit off but I expect it will settle down a bit when Can gets going again. I also suspect Klopp has a big change to make there in future (Henderson) but won't go near it yet until he sees what Henderson is made of sans heel injury, and also waits until a top class choice he wants becomes available.

We are fine up front. To better what we have will need enormous money and, probably, Champions League football. We have options and we will score plenty of goals this season, no problem.

We lost at Burnley, That still sticks in the throat and we have to cut that out.

It's a mixed start but I think we will improve. Let it settle down and see what we've got.

Considering I can't remember the last good summer window we had it must take some doing to keep trying to paint these dismal transfer windows into a positive picture, I doff my cap.

We've signed a few good players that will more than likely improve us slightly in some areas.  We've also left several key areas wanting & that'll bite us in the arse all season long.  It's understandable,  Klopp can't fix it all on a sell to buy policy.

The rampant negativity seems to be the realization that we're going nowhere fast and there's really fuck all we can do about it.   There's absolutely no chance of finishing ahead of either Manchester club, Arsenal or Chelsea with this squad.

I fear it'll take Klopp much more time than he'll be given to fix the shambles of a squad he inherited, especially under such strict financial constrictions.   Any other manager willing to touch the poisoned chalice of a job wouldn't be fit to wipe the German's arse either.

• Upvote 3

We're way too short of options especially at the back and were playing an intense game which will take its toll with injuries and suspensions. I think your optimism is misplaced here mate

I mean no offence, G, but you (anyone) could have gone through our summer business at any point in the last decade and just about thrown enough of a positive spin on it (as you impressively have!) to make it appear like we've done well.

Here's a different take - We've got one decent fullback in the squad, the entire central midfield is fucking awful, nobody to take a set piece, and the strike force is a crock, a kid, a number 10, and a squad player coming back from a year off.

The squad appears to be largely devoid of intelligence and balls, epitomised by our captain, and our complete inability to manage different parts of a game has already been evidenced again this season. The result of the Spurs game, in isolation, is fine - point away to a team that finished in the top four last season. But the manner of going from dominating a match to shitting the bed was depressingly familiar, and it's the reason we'll probably finish 5th-8th again. Good teams don't fuck up from that position in a game. Sadly, we're not a good team.

...obviously I hope you're right!

The point that I think is worth making is that it's Klopp's first year, but at the same time, it's the 6th-7th year of FSG's staggeringly incompotent tenure.

I'm just a little confused at everyone thinking Klopp is such a great manager and being so convinced he was going to get us back to the elite a few months ago, to now everyone being so convinced we are going nowhere and have no chance at the top four because people aren't happy with the transfer business. 

I mean, if he's such a great manager, surely people should be inclined to trust him regarding Milner's ability to play full back? Guardiola is using Kolarov as a center back and Sagna and Clichy as midfielders and it's working out, so why can't Milner be a left back? Why aren't Wijnaldum and Lallana central midfielders? Didn't we just win the midfield battle against both Arsenal and Spurs even without our best midfielder on the pitch?

I think if you like and trust Klopp, it's a little asinine to be so critical three games into the season, especially as we've played all of them away and have already played two members of last year's top four.

• Upvote 5

The point that I think is worth making is that it's Klopp's first year, but at the same time, it's the 6th-7th year of FSG's staggeringly incompotent tenure.

Whilst we have owners that are largely indifferent to how we perform on the pitch it is incredibly difficult to be optimistic, despite having a great manager.

• Upvote 1

I'm just a little confused at everyone thinking Klopp is such a great manager and being so convinced he was going to get us back to the elite a few months ago, to now everyone being so convinced we are going nowhere and have no chance at the top four because people aren't happy with the transfer business.

I mean, if he's such a great manager, surely people should be inclined to trust him regarding Milner's ability to play full back? Guardiola is using Kolarov as a center back and Sagna and Clichy as midfielders and it's working out, so why can't Milner be a left back? Why aren't Wijnaldum and Lallana central midfielders? Didn't we just win the midfield battle against both Arsenal and Spurs even without our best midfielder on the pitch?

I think if you like and trust Klopp, it's a little asinine to be so critical three games into the season, especially as we've played all of them away and have already played two members of last year's top four.

It is the Burnley result that has left the sting....the same old get beat away by a shite team - and to a lesser degree the same old Liverpool characteristics of each game so far - the shaky defence that leaks goals, the inability to see a game out etc.

If the Burnley result turns out to be an abberation, if we don't get done at Watford, Hull, WBA, Middlesbrough et al then fair enough - but can we all sit here and say we won't with any confidence?

Arsenal and Spurs and the other top sides aren't really our problem - it is the shite we don't have the nous and the bollocks to beat and for me our season will stand and fall on how we do against the shite, will we do what we always seem to do and drop too many points to them because they bully us, park the bus and exploit our fragility....

I think we all would have been happy had we got the points at Burnley ala the mancs at Hull - they found a way and dug it out, we don't do that enough..... albeit only one game this season but it looks like same old Liverpool in the games like that...that frustration then makes the point at Spurs in a game we led and probably should have won seem worse than it is.

Time will tell if Burnley was a one off or just the start of more of the same old Liverpool - do you trust them to learn from it and cut that kind of result out?

Me? I just don't and I fear it will happen all too often again and be our undoing because we don't have the nous or the bollocks for those games.

• Upvote 2

Whilst we have owners that are largely indifferent to how we perform on the pitch it is incredibly difficult to be optimistic, despite having a great manager.

That is a distressingly accurate sentence.

The great football club we all fell in love with is a mid table club and doesn't even really strive to be more.

It's just... So predictable. Season after season.

• Upvote 1

To think that we can somehow go from 8th in the league to 4th-or-above (frog leaping teams have spent absolute fortunes) on a net spend of £fuckall isn't optimism or trusting the manager...it's utter arrogance and delusion.

Where the fuck is the money? Somebody needs to answer this question, and I don't mean with some bullshit spin merchant bollocks such as "we want to sign the right player".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunates like who exactly

Chelsea spent less,West Ham less,Leicester Southampton less oh snd Spurs Less

Only City,Utd and Arsenal have spent more

In the past 5 years only both mancs and Chelsea have spent more. We have spent nearly 100ml more thsn spurs. £150ml more than Soythampton and £200ml more than West Ham. The money is nothing more than a shitty excuse

• Upvote 2

Fortunates like who exactly

Chelsea spent less,West Ham less,Leicester Southampton less oh snd Spurs Less

Only City,Utd and Arsenal have spent more

In the past 5 years only both mancs and Chelsea have spent more. We have spent nearly 100ml more thsn spurs. £150ml more than Soythampton and £200ml more than West Ham. The money is nothing more than a shitty excuse

It's not just the fees, it's the wages, it's the type of players we go for, it's the age of the players, it's losing out on players for a couple of million, it's baulking at wage demands and then paying shit players twice as much, it's everything. 

It's the chickens come home to roost for fucking up the Bertrand, Williams, Salah, Diego Costa, Mkhitaryan, Dembele, Guerreiro, Gotze, Alli, Bacca, Turan, Griezmann, Matuidi, Konoplyanka and Jackson Martinez deals and that's just over the last few years.

We've signed Markovic, Aspas, Alberto, Illori, Ings, Benteke, Lallana, Lovren, Carroll, Adam, and Stewie Downing in that time. So much utter shite. We deserve to win nothing. Nothing is what FSG and these twats deserve.

• Upvote 4