You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

It's a new season and our first choice left-back is a right sided midfielder. We're Liverpool. Just think about that for a second.

I understand what you are saying and it isnt good enough. My point is that just buying a lb may offer a slight improvement this season but in the long term it will leave us in the same position we are now needing to improve the lb position.

Some of the lb's people have mentioned are not who we would want at the club in nornal circumstances.

Call me the eternal optimist but maybe Klopp has identified a lb but he isnt available atm.

I understand what you are saying and it isnt good enough. My point is that just buying a lb may offer a slight improvement this season but in the long term it will leave us in the same position we are now needing to improve the lb position.

Some of the lb's people have mentioned are not who we would want at the club in nornal circumstances.

Call me the eternal optimist but maybe Klopp has identified a lb but he isnt available atm.

Yes, Chilwell. Not sure if he would fit your "lb who we would want at the club in normal circumstances" though.

An unspectacular but defensively sold left-back would be a huge improvement on what we have now.

Convinced myself centre-mid would be a priority for Klopp this Summer. Balance of players we have in that position is terrible but he's gone an added to it with a £25m attacking-mid. Don't get it.

I was basically thinking, "right, he'll go and get a solid left back, and then he'll go and sign a Sebastian Kiehl type midfielder, and then he'll get a pacey forward with some trickery (ala Mane)"

He did only one of those.

The last 6 years under FSG have been the least successful stretch we've had for 40 years.

I reckon that is a huge coincidence.

Might also be down to the finances of city and chelsea and the fact that Moores didnt do a thing to increase revenues and let the club stagnate while others improved

• Upvote 1

I've given up worrying or caring.

Is it Klopps bloody mindedness or is he working to a price in preparation for getting sold?

ANY £2million Champo left back would be better than what we have.

And then there's the MF, oh my fackin days.

It is quite baffling.

He isn't an idiot...he has a terrific pedigree yet our flaws are dead obvious to see and there seems to be no plan in place to deal with them.

In fact it could be argued we are actively weakening our defence for example by bombing sakho out - we had Lucas on bench as our sub centre half yesterday that is nowhere near acceptable for a side with designs on the top 4. It is nowhere near acceptable he is about as close to a decent defensive minded midfielder as we have.

The full back situation is a flat out joke, the unwillingness to by a dm bewildering and having Jordan fucking Henderson as our club captain is an insult to the job - the passive get is the exact opposite of klopp in terms of desire, passion, fight etc. yet there he is our 'leader' on the park.

Our midfield can just be walked through, it offers our weak defence zero protection and we have a right sided midfielder playing as lb who has just replaced a fucking braindead beaut in that position...on the other side we have Clyne and erm nobody (maybe some 12 year old kid as back up)...

All this is the case whilst we have made a profit in the transfer market so far this summer - either Klopp is a complete and utter genius of proportions greater than we even realise and is gonna work and is happy to work wonders with this situation or we have decided as a club that mid table mediocrity is all we want.

• Upvote 6

Just seems to me like the transfer policy hasn't changed at all really. Summer started so well, looked like we were gonna get the right deals done in the right areas of the pitch then we shit the bed.... again.

I dont buy any of the bollocks he doesn't want to make too many changes. He tried to sign a LB and from all accounts was after Dahoud/zielinski so he recognises there are problems. To then just abandon them and hope we can patch over is just negligent.

No matter what's he says I can't but help believe he has had reigns put on over budgets due to the ticket price getting lowered to plug the hole in the expansion cost. It's too much of a coincidence.

• Upvote 2

I really don't think he's being held back too much in any way financially. If he really wanted to I'd wager there's 40-50m available.

He's spoken repeatedly himself about paying what he feels is fair and waiting for the players he wants rather than rushing in. It really doesn't seem in his nature to buy one player he's not happy with to tide him over for a year. He doesn't discard players and prefers to work with what he has until something truly suitable becomes available.

There's a touch of Wenger about him in terms of being stubborn.

• Upvote 1

Just seems to me like the transfer policy hasn't changed at all really. Summer started so well, looked like we were gonna get the right deals done in the right areas of the pitch then we shit the bed.... again.

I dont buy any of the bollocks he doesn't want to make too many changes. He tried to sign a LB and from all accounts was after Dahoud/zielinski so he recognises there are problems. To then just abandon them and hope we can patch over is just negligent.

No matter what's he says I can't but help believe he has had reigns put on over budgets due to the ticket price getting lowered to plug the hole in the expansion cost. It's too much of a coincidence.

Something isn't right...there is a story that we will hear one day. I don't believe for one monent that Klopp would willingly have our squad look as it does - it just does not stack up.

What the fuck are we doing turning a profit in transfers when we are in need of a massive rebuild with a new manager in place.

• Upvote 1

I've always said our midfield is shite and is a problem but on the balance of the first three games, I think Klopp can be vindicated in his thinking. So far this season we've outplayed (an admitedly understrength) Arsenal in the middle of the park, had 81% possession against Burnley and got the better of Spurs' midfield at White Hart Lane and we've done all this without our best midfielder.

I mean, I want us to buy another midfielder but I don't think it's been a problem area so far this season. The left back situation is a bizarre one though, that's for sure. I can only think that Klopp was only looking to strengthen it if he could get Chilwell and that he's identified Milner as someone who has the qualities he wants to play there.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone remember what the difference was between what they'd have got if all the tickets had gone to the first price structure they released and what it was once lowered? I know my ticket would have been about 2 ton more alone

i seem to recall it not being a great deal...certainly when you compare it to the money we have wasted in transfer fees and wages in recent years on some of our worst buys.

It'll take more than 1 summer window for Klopp to sort the team he inherited into one he wants. He clearly believes in improving players rather than splashing excesses of cash as a one hit fix.

But Im a little surprised that he identified a new keeper was required, even as just competition to mignolet yet we havent signed a decent left back as a priority.

I dont think Klopp is the kind of manager who wants to spend £40m to £50m on a single player in the current market.

I think Klopp believes he can mould this squad into a winning unit, It's more about commitment to the cause and hard work than innate ability . Press the ball high up the pitch and crowd out the opposition, Just from the first few games its clear other sides are employing the same tactics,  Arsenal and Spurs both out pressed us in the initial stages of our games and watching City here they are all over West Ham under Guardiola in a way they never played last season, 

I don't think the tactics by themselves will work and we need a stronger squad. If we don't strengthen especially at the back then I expect we will leak 50 league goals this season with predictable effect on our standing in the table . I still think Klopp is an amazing coach but he's no miracle worker

I really don't think he's being held back too much in any way financially. If he really wanted to I'd wager there's 40-50m available.

He's spoken repeatedly himself about paying what he feels is fair and waiting for the players he wants rather than rushing in. It really doesn't seem in his nature to buy one player he's not happy with to tide him over for a year. He doesn't discard players and prefers to work with what he has until something truly suitable becomes available.

There's a touch of Wenger about him in terms of being stubborn.

I am more suitable at LB than Moreno. On the basis that we would often be better off with 10.