You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

I'm fairly optimistic about things, take out Mig's mistakes and we'd have been top four last season, so defensive stability's top of the order. We've signed one of the most promising keepers and best CBs from the Bundesliga for peanuts, who should help us bridge that gap. I also think we'll see a difference without Skrtel, who had a habit of spreading panic almost as much as Mig.

A DM and a LB would've completed things, but I'm still hoping once Benteke's gone we'll add a bit of cover at fullback who could usurp Moreno.

If this team had been in with a real chance of getting 4th, they would have bottled it, as they've done time and time again.

We were able to pick up points, precisely because we couldn't realistically finish in the top 4.

• Upvote 1

People talk about wage bills like it's worth points to a club, or the more you spend the higher you finish?

Our two highest earners are Balotelli and Benteke, and you all hate them.

Mad cunts.

That's because instead of spending money sensibly on players who will improve our first XI, we spend like drunks at the roulette table.
  • Upvote 1

I keep reading how getting Klopp was a sign of FSG's ambition but it's just not true. Relatively speaking the manager is only a small part of the wage bill so getting the best you can get is a low risk and potentially high return investment so it's just basic business sense that fits with their model. The club is already profitable without Champions League football yet even with all the money that has come into the game our wage bill continues to decrease and our net transfer spend remains at only a slight increase on what it's been for most of the last 20 years. That tells you everything you need to know about FSG's ambition. It is just about the financial return and spending relatively frugally while comfortably maintaining a place in the Premier League gives a nice big low risk return as has been seen in recent valuations of the club. They won't spend out more money trying to get Champions League as the return is not guaranteed and that's reflected in how we operate. If Champions League qualification happens then it's a nice bonus but it isn't essential for their model to be a success.

I'm coming around to this way of seeing it as well. I used to believe their aim was to establish us in the top four to reap the benefits of CL revenue and status.

The first signs of this not being the case was the clusterfuck of transfer activity the summer after we finished 2nd and Luis left, and it's only been reinforced since.

• Upvote 1

I'm coming around to this way of seeing it as well. I used to believe their aim was to establish us in the top four to reap the benefits of CL revenue and status.

The first signs of this not being the case was the clusterfuck of transfer activity the summer after we finished 2nd and Luis left, and it's only been reinforced since.

This is a serious question and I'm not taking the piss here, but what did you think of the 2 summers before that? One was where the peak of our ambition was more random shite like Alberto and Aspas and the other was so bad they needed to issue a public apology.

Palace have become increasingly frustrated in their bid to sign Benteke, unable to agree at fee with #LFC

West Brom want Christian Benteke & are hoping for progress on a deal this week. #lfc [@JPercyTelegraph]

Jurgen Klopp Targets Napoli's Lorenzo Insigne With Liverpool's Summer Spending Set to Continue. [Calcio Mercato]

This is a serious question and I'm not taking the piss here, but what did you think of the 2 summers before that? One was where the peak of our ambition was more random shite like Alberto and Aspas and the other was so bad they needed to issue a public apology.

I thought it was piss poor, but I also thought it was down to having a manager who wasn't good enough.

It's when it's a sustained policy over time that reality really hits home.