You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

In a Pep Lijnders interview (Echo), he said that the manager and his coaching staff made a list of all the players they wanted, and got them. So far. Where certain players were on the list is unknown, so I'm hoping that with what Klopp said about 'probably' having all the players they want in (and out) that there's still a determination to get a back up left back. Milner ain't it.

I tried to think of a Dortmund team that had a defensive midfielder, and I couldn't think of any. But I happen to think DMs are an important part of the game, especially since we failed to replace Mascherano. More importantly, we lost an experienced and smart footballer.

Sven Bender and Sebastian Kehl. Klopp did actually quite often use a defensive midfielder during his time at Dortmund, usually paired with a deep lying playmaker in Sahin or Gundogan. Not much different to the Masch-Xabi pairing under Rafa.

It worries me that the two glaring deficiencies in our team going into the transfer window were at defensive midfield and left back, and that with a matter of weeks until the season starts we're actually weaker in those positions than we were before.

• Upvote 3

If it is true that our Incomings are complete I can't believe we have not addressed the left back and DM positions, If Milner is the answer fuck knows what the question was!. I hope there is still a couple to come in and a good few to go out.

• Upvote 1

It worries me that the two glaring deficiencies in our team going into the transfer window were at defensive midfield and left back, and that with a matter of weeks until the season starts we're actually weaker in those positions than we were before.

Goalkeeper?

If it is true that our Incomings are complete I can't believe we have not addressed the left back and DM positions, If Milner is the answer fuck knows what the question was!. I hope there is still a couple to come in and a good few to go out.

If Milner is the answer, then the question is almost always "Who could do a job in this position?"

• Upvote 1

In a Pep Lijnders interview (Echo), he said that the manager and his coaching staff made a list of all the players they wanted, and got them. So far. Where certain players were on the list is unknown, so I'm hoping that with what Klopp said about 'probably' having all the players they want in (and out) that there's still a determination to get a back up left back. Milner ain't it.

I tried to think of a Dortmund team that had a defensive midfielder, and I couldn't think of any. But I happen to think DMs are an important part of the game, especially since we failed to replace Mascherano. More importantly, we lost an experienced and smart footballer.

Under Klopp, the had Sebastian Kehl and Sven Bender. In their 90s heyday, they had Paulo Sousa and Paul Lambert.

Only seen him at the euros but Hector was shit, maybe he had a few bad days?

He's not all that. certainly not worth anywhere near the money talked about on here.

Wolfsburg need a forward, Benteke straight swap for Rodriguez.  Make it so...

• Upvote 3

Only seen him at the euros but Hector was shit, maybe he had a few bad days?

Dint think he's shit. He just average/solid at everything without doing anything at a top level. He would have been great at the 12ml originally quoted but fuck paying £25ml for him

I'm not sure we'll get a Hector in the team.  I have to say I think Klopp is being reckless if he starts the season with Moreno in the team.  He'll need to be prepared for some shite coming his way if Moreno plays like he did last season. 

The fact that Chilwell was out top target at left back despite only playing 8 Championship games in his whole career shows suggests that Moreno will be our first choice again next season.

The fact that Chilwell was out top target at left back despite only playing 8 Championship games in his whole career shows suggests that Moreno will be our first choice again next season.

Do you not think that might change now we've banked 6m for Smith? I'm guessing as we've put about 60m on wijnaldum and mane, we were making do in some other positions. But we've sold well, so it would seem to me there's still a chance we might sign a half decent left back. I'd be happy finding someone who is solid defensively and capable of just some basic passing, but knows his limits. We have a lot of players who should be able to make something happen in front of a left back, so I want a left back to protect them and have the ability to find them or centre mid with simple, effective passing. We don't need Roberto Carlos.

Could have retired ten years ago and he'd still be an upgrade on Moreno.

Haha, that is a good point but tells us there are plenty of left backs out there who would be an upgrade. This is why I'm surprised klopp still hasn't replaced him, he's the easiest player in the team to replace.

I do wonder if klopp just thinks defending is easy and he can make anyone into a defender. Did he ever pay more than a few mil for a defender at dortmund?

I disagree there Wom - top class left backs are like hens teeth.

Top class ones might well be. We need someone who once played Sunday league left back to be a better defender than Moreno. He's the worst defender (as in his job ) that's ever played for us by some considerable way, or at least in the 40 years I've been going. He doesn't know or do any of the basics of defending and while he can do a slide tackle on the run, he's a fucking shocking tackler, puts in challenges most strikers would be ashamed of. The only thing he has in my opinion is pace and stamina

• Upvote 1

He played regularly for one of the top teams in the world up until last season mate.

He played 6 league games and 4 of them were as a sub. 

Ermm..yeah.

We haven't had a defender in years that would make RM squad much less the bench. 

He would be our most technically sound fullback tomorrow in snowshoes and a Groucho nose/glasses FFS.

• Upvote 3