You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

The other thought that occurs is that this is very, very similar to the Arsenal model under Wenger when they were paying for their new stadium.

Let's not get carried away here, and let's put things into perspective. Leicester won the league on a shoestring.

Arsenal were paying for the stadium from when they moved in, which was 2006/07, and yes their transfer dealings seemed to indicate that some 'budgeting' was going on.

That said, nobody made them choose Vermealen for £10m, instead of Robert Huth or Wes Morgan.

Money gives you an advantage, but it's not necessary.

We've just bought Mane and Wijnaldum for £55m, we have no room to complain about FSG being a barrier to success.

I'm not happy with the snides getting started before the season has begun, the likes of JP and Shitecat trying to fill people's heads with conspiracy theories is just beyond acceptable on what is supposed to be a fans forum.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think people are struggling to support a franchise.

Football has always had a certain amount of romance and Liverpool more than most.

Are we building profit for fsg or a football team to win things.

When the pendulum swings to far this is what you get.

When the club is constantly referred to as a business don't be surprised when supporters act like customers.

The frustration should we underpeform will be directed at the owners mainly.

That's fine, but we are putting in more money into transfers than ever, renovating the stadium, etc, etc. There are still issues, but whether we are owned by FSG or Moores who sold us for a pretty penny to two shitheads, it's about money and other things. Klopp has nothing to do with these people any more than Rafa did. People will turn on him after too long.

I've been supporting Liverpool for 30 years, and maybe it's me getting older, but it's just not fun in the same way it used to be. Not because of winning or losing, not because of money spent, but because I feel like the group of supporters don't support anymore.

Amen to that NV.

Just unhappy people with real-life issues they try to ignore and shift their anguish to football.

Something horrible happened to Nightcat and JP for them to be this unhappy. In Nightcat's case it was probably a drone strike on his house in Ethiopia, so the anti-American thing is an obvious result. In JP's case, he bought the rights to brendanrodgers.co.uk and was holding out for advertising and it all fell through when he was sacked for being utterly shite. Again, understandable, it's money, I feel you.

• Upvote 1

I think people are struggling to support a franchise.

Are we building profit for fsg or a football team to win things.

I'm not sure why you think both things can't co-exist?

It's not Liverpool FC or FSG you should be angry at, it's the FA and the Premier League, it's their model and their governance that makes clubs HAVE to compete for support's money and exploit everything.

It's Chelsea and Man United who you should be angry at, the cunts who bought their way to success when everyone else was happy to earn it the normal way.

I'd rather have a new stand, than pay £70m for Higuain.

I'd rather the atmosphere was boss than tickets be £100 so we can afford Pogba's wages.

You're focusing on all the wrong things.

• Upvote 1

If things were as bad as you make them out, Klopp would be miles ahead of you in getting out of the door first.

Your love of winning pales into insignificance compared to Klopp's.

Who the fuck do you think you're dealing with here? Joey Bananas? Get the fuck oudda here.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If things were as bad as you make them out, Klopp would be miles ahead of you in getting out of the door first.

Your love of winning pales into insignificance compared to Klopp's.

Who the fuck do you think you're dealing with here? Joey Bananas? Get the fuck oudda here.

Nice.

As a matter of course. A good few on here asked for Rafa to be sacked after one season of finishing outside of top 4 afterall.

Getting rid of Benitez wasn't the problem replacing him with a cunt was.  We did the same with Dalglish.

I'm not sure why you think both things can't co-exist?

It's not Liverpool FC or FSG you should be angry at, it's the FA and the Premier League, it's their model and their governance that makes clubs HAVE to compete for support's money and exploit everything.

It's Chelsea and Man United who you should be angry at, the cunts who bought their way to success when everyone else was happy to earn it the normal way.

I'd rather have a new stand, than pay £70m for Higuain.

I'd rather the atmosphere was boss than tickets be £100 so we can afford Pogba's wages.

You're focusing on all the wrong things.

Angry is the wrong word. I just find it odd that fans try and label supporters as plastic to defend capitalist businessman who will almost take out some 700 million when they sell up.

For the time we have been owned by fsg they haven't co existed.

Apparently this is our worse run of league positions under fsg since the 50s but profits and value of the club are sky rocketing.

Fsg bought us knowing the rules. Remember we can compete with anyone we want to be competing with Barca and Real Madrid etc.

I'm not the one who is backtracking or telling porkies.

Not heard one person on here say sign Pobga or Higuain for 75 million so not sure why the likes of you and jimmycase would bring that up.

Its almost like the argument has to be framed in such a way as disagree with anything with what the club are doing and you are...

Back when we were looking to bring in new ownership back in the early 00s it was primarily to compete at the highest level. Then people were saying when fsg came in I don't care if they make a fortune as we are being successful.

Now its shut up and let the businessman cream their profits.

• Upvote 4

The other thought that occurs is that this is very, very similar to the Arsenal model under Wenger when they were paying for their new stadium.

Funny you say that. I was reading a article the other day saying that if we break even in transfers this summer the TV money covers the vast majority of the loan on the new stand. It would make sense after the back tracking on ticket prices if the board have said its pretty much sell to buy.

Its a bit worrying if thats the case as most teams will strengthen and without top 4 its keeps us behind in the ability to attract quality or the ability to pay for it (if it was ever a option)

The biggest problem Klopp has with fans, or potential problem, as he is well respected and loved, is that we've been waiting 25 years for that league title. In the early years it only seemed a matter of time before we won it again. Then we were consistently third, maybe fourth; then fourth became iffy; then top four became infrequent, until today, when we are in a pattern of being a 7-8th team, with the odd anomaly.

We've won a few trophies along the way, and Istanbul was incredible. But fans are hungry for the league title. Ravenous in fact.

Klopp is at the start of his time. Perhaps we will have a quick bounce with him this season, and fight hard for that title. That's what I'm predicting and hoping for. But if it's another rebuilding project, which he's well within his rights to do, fans get increasingly impatient.

I hope we can have some perspective if we have a few bumps I the road. The last thing we need is a gap between Klopp and the club/fans. I for one am more than willing to give Klopp the time and space he needs to do his work.

The biggest problem Klopp has with fans, or potential problem, as he is well respected and loved, is that we've been waiting 25 years for that league title. In the early years it only seemed a matter of time before we won it again. Then we were consistently third, maybe fourth; then fourth became iffy; then top four became infrequent, until today, when we are in a pattern of being a 7-8th team, with the odd anomaly.

We've won a few trophies along the way, and Istanbul was incredible. But fans are hungry for the league title. Ravenous in fact.

Klopp is at the start of his time. Perhaps we will have a quick bounce with him this season, and fight hard for that title. That's what I'm predicting and hoping for. But if it's another rebuilding project, which he's well within his rights to do, fans get increasingly impatient.

I hope we can have some perspective if we have a few bumps I the road. The last thing we need is a gap between Klopp and the club/fans. I for one am more than willing to give Klopp the time and space he needs to do his work.

Exactly. Id rather Klopp built a team that can challenge more than once in however long his time here will be. Im not after a quick fix.

Like I say, he's going to take more than one summer window to do that.

Any time Nightcat goes too far with his spastic-ness, JP pops right in to show who the real king of the spastics really is.

That's a bit harsh, I haven't singled one person out, it's most of you.Ive proved Klopp has never signed a top player but there's no need to call those following his decisions with blind faith a spastic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Klopp isn't the answer, I dread to think what the question is. We have one of the best managers in the world, if we start getting shirty with him, getting at him and asking for him to be sacked, where the fuck do we go from there?

Rafa, a better manager who knows more about the club and has proved he can be a succes here.

• Downvote 3

Angry is the wrong word. I just find it odd that fans try and label supporters as plastic to defend capitalist businessman who will almost take out some 700 million when they sell up.

For the time we have been owned by fsg they haven't co existed.

Apparently this is our worse run of league positions under fsg since the 50s but profits and value of the club are sky rocketing.

Fsg bought us knowing the rules. Remember we can compete with anyone we want to be competing with Barca and Real Madrid etc.

I'm not the one who is backtracking or telling porkies.

Not heard one person on here say sign Pobga or Higuain for 75 million so not sure why the likes of you and jimmycase would bring that up.

Its almost like the argument has to be framed in such a way as disagree with anything with what the club are doing and you are...

Back when we were looking to bring in new ownership back in the early 00s it was primarily to compete at the highest level. Then people were saying when fsg came in I don't care if they make a fortune as we are being successful.

Now its shut up and let the businessman cream their profits.

It seems to have gone over your head that I indicated I didnt want the club to be the type of club that does spend silly money on higuain or pogba. There are plenty of people on here or who follow the club who'd want us to sign higuain. They might be taken aback by the fee he eventually went for but they'd have wanted us to be in with a shout.

Never ceases to amaze me when people like you say 'why are you even mentioning it' when in this instance, its illustrative of the way certain players are becoming increasingly out of reach of LFC.

Yeah, I can. I dunno, Paul. I've been supporting Liverpool for 30 years, and maybe it's me getting older, but it's just not fun in the same way it used to be. Not because of winning or losing, not because of money spent, but because I feel like the group of supporters don't support anymore. It used to be 'ah, you get that vibe on the internet' but really, it's people. People in this country seem to have lose all sense of patience or building or dignity. It's all Sky Generation in football and Sky News in politics.

So yeah, I can see it. It's a shame, because Klopp is excellent. A quality manager and a quality guy. Getting in his back would be the end of the club. I swear, our reverse metamorphosis into Everton would be complete. The minute we sack that guy for not performing is the day we really understand we're not the belle of the ball anymore.

The LFC we knew ended when the fans forced a manger out for one bad season after he had done better than any other manager in the prem the season before.I said at the time no matter who the manager was I wouldn't want him sacked as it sets a precedent, if fans would turn so quickly on that man it's not going to be a surprise when they turn on the next manager if he doesn't deliver soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The LFC we knew ended when the fans forced a manger out for one bad season after he had done better than any other manager in the prem the season before.

Who are we talking about here?