You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ragnar Klavan

Caramac

Thought he actually made a couple of pretty crucial interceptions today. 

He's not good enough to be starting regularly for us, clearly, but neither is any other centre back at the club not called Matip. 

I actually have slightly more faith in him than Lovren. A player that should have been binned ages ago.

Our entire defence is poor. There is no way a team with our defence is winning the title or CL. Even the top 4 looks out of reach at the moment given how woeful our defending is.

How on earth anyone expects a side that gets outspent by newly promoted sides to challange for a title is beyond me.
  • Upvote 1

How on earth anyone expects a side that gets outspent by newly promoted sides to challange for a title is beyond me.

Exactly. I'm started to think some of our supporters are as deluded as newcastle fans (this club belongs in the champions leage etc). 3 of Man Citys back 4 cost £50m each. The other manc cunts spent a fee which is only a couple of million short of our transfer record on a back up centre back. 2 of their starting line up cost £90m each.Yet if klopp doen't compete for the title hes somehow failed. Its ludicrous. Our owners are esentially the same as Arsenals and with the budget given we cant really expect anymore than top 4 and a decent cup run. The only difference between us and Arsenal is that our owners lie to the the fans and seemingly our supporters are gullibale enough to fall for it. As with Arsenal, FSG couldn't give a fuck about winning the league, they know its virtually impossible to compete with City and their financial doping, what they want is a manager good enough to get us into the top 4 whilst only spending roughly the same amount of money as Bournemouth. Klopp is good enough to do that and we will probably finsih in the top 4 again this year.

• Upvote 2

Exactly. I'm started to think some of our supporters are as deluded as newcastle fans (this club belongs in the champions leage etc). 3 of Man Citys back 4 cost £50m each. The other manc cunts spent a fee which is only a couple of million short of our transfer record on a back up centre back. 2 of their starting line up cost £90m each.Yet if klopp doen't compete for the title hes somehow failed. Its ludicrous. Our owners are esentially the same as Arsenals and with the budget given we cant really expect anymore than top 4 and a decent cup run. The only difference between us and Arsenal is that our owners lie to the the fans and seemingly our supporters are gullibale enough to fall for it. As with Arsenal, FSG couldn't give a fuck about winning the league, they know its virtually impossible to compete with City and their financial doping, what they want is a manager good enough to get us into the top 4 whilst only spending roughly the same amount of money as Bournemouth. Klopp is good enough to do that and we will probably finsih in the top 4 again this year.

Improvement is going to be fucking slow when we're not spending much. Salah is obviously quality. We've lost no one that matters so weve improved. That's good enough for me.

Ive seen what a manager who cant spot a player, working under these owners looks lilke and I never wanna see it again.

Over achieving last year, sadly meant the dummy was alwaya likely to be spat out this season.

• Upvote 1

Improvement is going to be fucking slow when we're not spending much. Salah is obviously quality. We've lost no one that matters so weve improved. That's good enough for me.

Ive seen what a manager who cant spot a player, working under these owners looks lilke and I never wanna see it again.

Over achieving last year, sadly meant the dummy was alwaya likely to be spat out this season.

The lack of patience and perspective from some of our supporters is embarrassing. Pretty sure I saw someone someone post earlier 'hes had 2 years' as if thats sufficient time to build a tile winning side spending a max of £30m net each summer whilst up against Citys financial doping.

• Upvote 2

Exactly. I'm started to think some of our supporters are as deluded as newcastle fans (this club belongs in the champions leage etc). 

Even though we clearly have a delusional element among our fans they are in a small minority, at least on this forum.

I did a poll at the start of the season to find out people expectations and the vast majority who voted have expectations that I would classify as within the scope of reason.

Nobody sane expects us to win the title or finish in the top 2 this season.  Depending on how capable of ignoring the evidence they are, some would have us finishing 3rd or 4th.  I would think that most would have us finishing outside the top 4.  

This is not mid 2000s.  There are 3 teams with more appetite and capability to spend big to win. In addition, there is in Spurs a team who scout and recruit better and are coached better than us.  And then there is Arsenal.  I'm not expecting a top 4 finish.

• Upvote 1

Nobody sane expects us to win the title or finish in the top 2 this season. Depending on how capable of ignoring the evidence they are, some would have us finishing 3rd or 4th. I would think that most would have us finishing outside the top 4.

This is not mid 2000s. There are 3 teams with more appetite and capability to spend big to win. In addition, there is in Spurs a team who scout and recruit better and are coached better than us. And then there is Arsenal. I'm not expecting a top 4 finish.

Fail to finish in the top four and plenty of people will want Klopp gone.

And it was having watched his qualities up close as an opposing manager that Klopp admits prompted him to swoop for the 30-year-old.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: "At the end of last season I knew that if we decided to take somebody in this position he was the one I wanted. Now I'm really happy with the options we have got at centre back.

“I've seen up close for three seasons how good his performances in Germany have been and last season we got chance to see him against us - and a lot in preparation - for our games against Augsburg.

“The last time he played against us at Dortmund they had 10 men and he defended really well to help them get a clean sheet and a win.

“He will bring us really good qualities with his defensive intelligence and ability on the ball and he is a left-footed player so will give us extra balance.

“I know that he is not only a very good player but the type of mentality and person who is coming here to fight and to win.

“He has had chances to move to some very big clubs but showed loyalty to Augsburg and now we've beaten some big teams for him to come here. I think he has made a great decision!"

So, we watched him sit back in a defensive team and we decided that he was a good fit for our style of play?

I'm torn both ways on Klavan, because I sort of feel sorry for the lad, he should be given 20 games in a row, with the same partner and the same keeper, isn't that a really basic and realistic way of trying to get the beat from our defence?

The amount of unnecessary changes we make each week is the biggest risk to our team.

Useless management of the situation from Klopp.

Fail to finish in the top four and plenty of people will want Klopp gone.

I think that depends.  If we address the defensive issues and stop pissing goals like an incontinent camel, then I don't think so, but if we continue to be the most incompetent defensive team in the league, then there will definitely be some who will have lost patience by then.