You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shit sports

Elite

The problem with NFL,Grid Iron is that its basically a 'sport' made for television and advertising rather than its popularity attracting the tv and advertising. Also the fact that they change whole teams every five minutes and the whole thing is more stop start than a city centre during rush hour makes it as dull as dishwater. There is also no doubt there are talented athletes within the group but not all 50 members of the squad.

Badminton. Not bothered either way about it but always remember my PE teacher in school saying it was "for the Homs who didn't want to get dirty playing footy". You had the option of playing footy on a muddy field at the back of the school or stay indoors in a nice warm sports hall playing badminton. Obviously I chose footy because I'm not a hom and dead hard like.

I was actually my school's badminton champion.  For years, as I was so good at it.

*flounces off*

all Blood 'sports'. quite obvious really and the participants are scum. subhuman scum.

not fishing though if they put the cunt back after the photo on the weighing machine, i'll let that one go. how magnanimous of me.

Coarse fishing, then.  Sea fishing is the one where they like to kill stuff.

Also sea fishing mostly has little/no skill.  50lb line, huge slab of lead and a hook the size of your hand.  And judging by the rigs I sometimes pick up when walking my dog on the beach, put together by a 5 year old wearing mittens.

Whereas catching barbel, chub or carp mostly takes a lot of skill, nous and patience.  And are returned back to the water.

• Upvote 1

I used to go sea fishing when I was a nipper on the I of M. Agree with your comments about skill. Hook, weight, cast, wait. I never killed much of what I caught though, there was never much worth keeping. Pollock, coalfish, ballan wrasse during the day, dogfish and conger eels at night.

Got the odd plaice, gurnard or mackerel, but you had to go out on a boat to get the likes of cod.

I've caught mackerel and pollack off the rock at Broad Haven beach near Tenby.  I was fishing with my pike gear.  Unhooked them and returned them to the sea.  The Welsh blokes fishing near me weren't happy.

I would fear hooking a conger I have to say.  Ordinary freshwater eels give me the creeps.  One of those ...... shudder.

I used to go sea fishing when I was a nipper on the I of M. Agree with your comments about skill. Hook, weight, cast, wait. I never killed much of what I caught though, there was never much worth keeping. Pollock, coalfish, ballan wrasse during the day, dogfish and conger eels at night.

Got the odd plaice, gurnard or mackerel, but you had to go out on a boat to get the likes of cod.

Conger eel is fucking prime eating. Ask any Chilean.

Baseball is embarrassing.

There is barely any action and most of the time is spent while players walk from and towards the bench, while "fans" are more concerned about the queue for the junk food.

I don't mind baseball actually. It's the only one of the big American sports that I can get into.

I dislike any sport that involves horses. Never got into horse racing, and that dressage shit looks like it is for upper class twits and royals.

• Upvote 2

Mate, they're making a horse dance.

I'm not a fan and I wouldn't make a point of watching it, but the very idea is nothing short of amazing to me.

You're right of course GD, but when I see it I just have to change channels

Baseball is embarrassing.

There is barely any action and most of the time is spent while players walk from and towards the bench, while "fans" are more concerned about the queue for the junk food.

It's basically the american version of cricket but with a greater propensity for lulls and climatic finishes.

I was actually my school's badminton champion. For years, as I was so good at it.

*flounces off*

Coarse fishing, then. Sea fishing is the one where they like to kill stuff.

Also sea fishing mostly has little/no skill. 50lb line, huge slab of lead and a hook the size of your hand. And judging by the rigs I sometimes pick up when walking my dog on the beach, put together by a 5 year old wearing mittens.

Whereas catching barbel, chub or carp mostly takes a lot of skill, nous and patience. And are returned back to the water.

On one occasion when the school fields were flooded the class had to stay in and played Badminton. I was well chuffed when the teached asked me if I actually played Badminton for a team when I actually hardly played the game at all! She was obviously the Roy Hodgson of Badminton scouting.

You're right of course GD, but when I see it I just have to change channels

Yeah I get what you mean, I don't see it on TV and grab the popcorn. But this is fucking incredible. The fucking thing is dancing. To Lady Marmalade, amongst other things.

I know its just responding to physical prompts from the rider, but still.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to be a hippy and say I don't think any sports are 'shit' as whatever you like is good for you to do or enjoy. For example, I've watched the darts on tv when in the pub and it can be entertaining. Same for tennis. Snooker I just can't watch, but it's fun to pay (as is darts).

When I saw the thread title though I did immediately think of Kabaddi which I stumbled on to on Sky Sports recently. I have no idea what's going on there.

But one sport I am entirely confused as to the point of, is speed walking. Just run? If you want a walk, go for a walk. The first person to do it must have been bullied within an inch if his life, and you have to feel he brought it on himself.

To be fair, racewalking is an extremely hard sport and requires a lot of dedication. Saying that, within every racewalker is a frustrated runner. I've known a few people who gave up prospects of competing internationally at it so they could run at club level.

Cricket is a bit shit, although the one day jobs are okay.

Bowls..Fuck off.

Darts. Could take it or leave it. Gets a bit addictive when you play it but to watch it it's boring. Same as golf actually.

Formula 1 cab get to fuck too. Used to be a good sport now it's just a load of laptops on wheels with egotistical cunts keeping the laptops company.

American football and baseball, while not for me are a bit entertaining at least.

Rugby and football are the only sports I'd regularly watch and even footy is a bit shit these days. The Gaelic games in Ireland are brilliant actually.

Gaelic football has gone to shit nowadays, far too much defensive play, handpassing and general lack of basic skills. Hurling is the best field game, and possibly the best sport, in the world.

Not having people giving badmington stick, i used to be boss at badmington and squash. Back in the day when i thought it was spelled like that and hampster was spelled hamster. 

Anything involving horses bores me rigid. American football i cannot get into at all and god i have tried. Apart from that i am struggling to think of anything i deliberately would avoid. 

What is the difference between a sport and a game would people say? For me, part of sport is that the person doing it is superhuman in some way, mainly physically. People watch the 100 metres or top level football, and part of the appeal is that those involved are one in a million human specimens, with the likes of snooker and darts, it's impressive on a skill level, there's definitely a degree of innate skill involved, but a large amount of their ability is based on practice.

You couldn't be more wrong about snooker actually. You either have it or you don't. How good you are is down to practice in the same way as football is.