You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shit sports

Elite

Snooker. You know something is boring when someone is considered the bad boy of snooker because he wears a black shirt instead of a white one.

Darts. Bunch of fat pissheads watched by a bunch of fat pissheads, all repeatedly getting exactly the same score until one gets too pissed and misses.

• Upvote 4

I'm going to be a hippy and say I don't think any sports are 'shit' as whatever you like is good for you to do or enjoy. For example, I've watched the darts on tv when in the pub and it can be entertaining. Same for tennis. Snooker I just can't watch, but it's fun to pay (as is darts).

When I saw the thread title though I did immediately think of Kabaddi which I stumbled on to on Sky Sports recently. I have no idea what's going on there.

But one sport I am entirely confused as to the point of, is speed walking. Just run? If you want a walk, go for a walk. The first person to do it must have been bullied within an inch if his life, and you have to feel he brought it on himself.

• Upvote 1

American Football. I know people on here like it but I can't get my head around it all. The actual play lasts a few seconds before it stops, everyone runs into each other wearing helmets and pads while one person tries to throw the ball to another.

All the players earn shitloads for either being able to throw the ball a bit far or to twat into other players. The owners move the teams to other cities at the drop of a hat and just call them franchises.

• Upvote 3

Cricket is a bit shit, although the one day jobs are okay.

Bowls..Fuck off.

Darts. Could take it or leave it. Gets a bit addictive when you play it but to watch it it's boring. Same as golf actually.

Formula 1 cab get to fuck too. Used to be a good sport now it's just a load of laptops on wheels with egotistical cunts keeping the laptops company.

American football and baseball, while not for me are a bit entertaining at least.

Rugby and football are the only sports I'd regularly watch and even footy is a bit shit these days. The Gaelic games in Ireland are brilliant actually.

• Upvote 1

I'm engaged in football and boxing, and they are both so utterly corrupt that I cannot imagine letting my grandkids anywhere near them.

Not only corrupt, but so brazenly corrupt. They don't even have the common decency to pretend to be fair.

What is the difference between a sport and a game would people say?

For me, part of sport is that the person doing it is superhuman in some way, mainly physically. People watch the 100 metres or top level football, and part of the appeal is that those involved are one in a million human specimens, with the likes of snooker and darts, it's impressive on a skill level, there's definitely a degree of innate skill involved, but a large amount of their ability is based on practice.

What is the difference between a sport and a game would people say? For me, part of sport is that the person doing it is superhuman in some way, mainly physically. People watch the 100 metres or top level football, and part of the appeal is that those involved are one in a million human specimens, with the likes of snooker and darts, it's impressive on a skill level, there's definitely a degree of innate skill involved, but a large amount of their ability is based on practice.

Dunno, but I think a sport should probably be at least some test physically, technically, and mentally. 

American sports... All of them... Can't get into them at all.

Used to like a bit of F1 back in the day but it just seems really boring nowadays.

Cycling - when did everybody start liking that? 

I heard someone say the difference between a sport and a game is that you have to wear trainers to play sport. 

What is the difference between a sport and a game would people say? For me, part of sport is that the person doing it is superhuman in some way, mainly physically. People watch the 100 metres or top level football, and part of the appeal is that those involved are one in a million human specimens, with the likes of snooker and darts, it's impressive on a skill level, there's definitely a degree of innate skill involved, but a large amount of their ability is based on practice.

I had an argument with a golf fanatic many years ago, and I came up with the following (admittedly alcohol-fuelled) definition to spite him:

A sport needs two things:

1) Some level of skill-based physical exertion, sufficient enough to have leave participants sweating or out of breath.

2) Interaction between participants (it can be turn-based, but if one person performs an action, it has to affect their opponent directly).

Snooker's a game, as is darts, athletics are merely physical feats and golf is a monetised pastime for dog walkers who don't like dogs.

• Upvote 2

American Football. I know people on here like it but I can't get my head around it all. The actual play lasts a few seconds before it stops, everyone runs into each other wearing helmets and pads while one person tries to throw the ball to another.

All the players earn shitloads for either being able to throw the ball a bit far or to twat into other players. The owners move the teams to other cities at the drop of a hat and just call them franchises.

The good Doctor knows.