You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Science Thread

Lee909

Jimmy, not disputing your article but I'm sure I listened to a podcast the other day and the scientist (and not one of RPs 'scientists' a real one) said that population would peak in about 100yrs then drop off sharply as people get richer, better life expectancy, better drugs, contraception in Africa, China etc. I'll try and dig it out.

I'm thinking it was a Joe Rogan....

Interesting article jimmycase, thanks for posting it.

I think the marker for the change to the Anthropocene could be quite clearly marked by picking one of the radioactive isotopes we've started gaily distributing over the place since the 40s

I think that was one of the markers they were considering but there's some debate whether that just identifies when the atomic \ nuclear 'age' started rather than when mankind started changing the planet through deforestation and industrialisation.

Jimmy, not disputing your article but I'm sure I listened to a podcast the other day and the scientist (and not one of RPs 'scientists' a real one) said that population would peak in about 100yrs then drop off sharply as people get richer, better life expectancy, better drugs, contraception in Africa, China etc. I'll try and dig it out.

I'm thinking it was a Joe Rogan....

Yeah I seem to remember population predictions saying it would top out at god knows how many billions. Would be an interesting read if you can find it.

Are those natural satellites or the artificial satellites? Just to clarify,does that include meteors and asteroids or not because its a shit load of space junk?

I think some of it is space debris from meteors and asteroids. Some of it is old deactivated satellites and discarded rocket parts and some of it is active satellites. 

Watching stuff about computer advancement and AI, it's startling how fast it's moving along and how it's getting even quicker an example given was imagine last year's generation of computing power could travel from new York to Los Angeles in 40.5 hrs then this year's advancement can do it in .29 of a second. It's advancing that quickly.

Quantum computing is going to make this seem like slow improvements.

• 7 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39642992

Physicists have created a fluid with "negative mass", which accelerates towards you when pushed.

In the everyday world, when an object is pushed, it accelerates in the same direction as the force applied to it; this relationship is described by Isaac Newton's Second Law of Motion.

But in theory, matter can have negative mass in the same sense that an electric charge can be positive or negative.

The phenomenon is described in Physical Review Letters journal.

Prof Peter Engels, from Washington State University (WSU), and colleagues cooled rubidium atoms to just above the temperature of absolute zero (close to -273C), creating what's known as a Bose-Einstein condensate.

In this state, particles move extremely slowly, and following behaviour predicted by quantum mechanics, acting like waves.

They also synchronise and move together in what's known as a superfluid, which flows without losing energy.

To create the conditions for negative mass, the researchers used lasers to trap the rubidium atoms and to kick them back and forth, changing the way they spin.

When the atoms were released from the laser trap, they expanded, with some displaying negative mass.

"With negative mass, if you push something, it accelerates toward you," said co-author Michael Forbes, assistant professor of physics at WSU.

He added: "It looks like the rubidium hits an invisible wall."

The technique could be used to better understand the phenomenon, say the researchers.

"What's a first here is the exquisite control we have over the nature of this negative mass, without any other complications," said Dr Forbes.

This heightened control also gives researchers a tool for exploring the possible relationships between negative mass and phenomena observed in the cosmos, such as neutron stars, black holes and dark energy.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

If you're ever in Poland, try to stay clear of the University of Lublin.  This is the kind of thing they're into.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28763709/#fft

Similar mechanisms of traumatic rectal injuries in patients who had anal sex with animals to those who were butt-fisted by human sexual partner.

Sendler DJ. J Forensic Leg Med. 2017.

Abstract

Sexual pleasure comes in various forms of physical play, for many it involves stimulation of the vagina, while the anus for others; some enjoy both. A recent report by Cappelletti et al.(1) shows a meta-analysis of cases describing anal trauma due to sexual fisting in human partners. This clinical article reports four cases of males diagnosed with zoophilia, and who received anal sex from animals, resulting in injuries. Surgical and psychiatric evaluations are summarized. Unusual etiology of sexual activity with animals caused peri-anal trauma in men who engaged in anal sex with dogs and farm animals. Injuries to patients who receive anal sex from animals are mechanistically similar to fisting-induced rectal damage. Among zoophiles, the mode of harm occurs through blood-engorged, interlocked penis that causes tissue lacerations upon retraction from an anus. In people experimenting with fisting, repetitive stretching within anal canal and of external sphincter causes the internal injuries. The mode of physical stimulation explains the extent of injuries in fisters vs. zoophiles: in fisting, the pressure applied by hand is controllable proximally around and within anal sphincter, while penetration by the animal penis is unpredictable and occurs within the proximal anal canal. Forensically, the findings presented in this article describe a significant mechanism of injury in fisters versus passive zoophiles. These descriptions may aid in clinically differentiating pleasurable and pathological rectal stimulation.

Copyright © 2017 Elsevier Ltd and Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine. All rights reserved.

• 8 months later...

It turns out that human beings are in fact mostly not human:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43674270

More than half of your body is not human, say scientists.

Human cells make up only 43% of the body's total cell count. The rest are microscopic colonists.

Understanding this hidden half of ourselves - our microbiome - is rapidly transforming understanding of diseases from allergy to Parkinson's.

The field is even asking questions of what it means to be "human" and is leading to new innovative treatments as a result.

"They are essential to your health," says Prof Ruth Ley, the director of the department of microbiome science at the Max Planck Institute, "your body isn't just you".

No matter how well you wash, nearly every nook and cranny of your body is covered in microscopic creatures.

This includes bacteria, viruses, fungi and archaea (organisms originally misclassified as bacteria). The greatest concentration of this microscopic life is in the dark murky depths of our oxygen-deprived bowels.

Prof Rob Knight, from University of California San Diego, told the BBC: "You're more microbe than you are human."

Originally it was thought our cells were outnumbered 10 to one.

"That's been refined much closer to one-to-one, so the current estimate is you're about 43% human if you're counting up all the cells," he says.

• 10 months later...

I'm just going to fling out a few statements: hopefully someone who is cleverer than me can determine whether they are actually true and whether they add up to a cogent argument. 

1. Planets and their moons are more-or-less spherical because of the effect of gravity.

2. If the earth is flat, our understanding of gravity is basically fucked.

3. If our understanding of gravity is fucked, all our understanding of physics is fucked.

4. If our understanding of physics is fucked, all of our science and engineering wouldn’t work.

Therefore...

THE FUCKING EARTH IS ROUND!!!

I'll never forget the day Mr Lawler (We used to call him Jerry and he had no idea why so used to go fucking mental) brought out a slinky spring. No-one was allowed to touch it unless they were one of the designated kids to hold either end of it while he tried to teach us about some shite. One of the best days of my life that. 

"Right for the 20th time don't touch it!!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Damien you fucking cunt get out" 

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry..... Funny explaining that particular letter home from school to my dad. Hiding his laughs while he smacked me round the kitchen. 

21 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm just going to fling out a few statements: hopefully someone who is cleverer than me can determine whether they are actually true and whether they add up to a cogent argument. 

1. Planets and their moons are more-or-less spherical because of the effect of gravity.

2. If the earth is flat, our understanding of gravity is basically fucked.

3. If our understanding of gravity is fucked, all our understanding of physics is fucked.

4. If our understanding of physics is fucked, all of our science and engineering wouldn’t work.

Therefore...

THE FUCKING EARTH IS ROUND!!!

Have you seen the documentary? 

After reading a bit about the potential of mapping the human genome in treating and understanding disease, for a few years I've thought it'd be cool to have mine done. I'd love to know how I'm put together (other than fucking awesomely) and to understand whether I was predisposed  to suffer from a chronic illness I have. This week I was asked to take part in a study in which they'll be doing exactly that; before the guy had finished explaining I'd agreed. When he finished explaining to me what they were hoping to find, how that information was going to be used and how they hope to use it to develop new treatments, how could I refuse? It's brilliant what these guys can do and to be a small part, by giving up some blood and a bit of my time, feels important. 

Science. Fucking A.

I was sat next to a right miserable woman whilst waiting. Moaning about the NHS, moaning that this researcher "wanted to know everything" about me, so I shouldn't do it. I'm sat there waiting for a hospital appointment, in an institution that knows all of my personal details, to discuss the fact that without medication I would shit blood and die, what more do they want to know?!

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

The fact that they even referenced Game of Thrones proves how nonsical (ref to mooks Boss) this really is. 

Actually @Mook can you ask her before you leave her views on Flat Earth. I’m sure it will make for excellent reading 

More like Fat Earth where Mook's boss is concerned.