You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For Public Purity.....a.k.a do ya like dags?

Has anybody else seen this group?

It's featured prominently in the press in the past few days. It's just been on the local North West news on BBC too.

It's apparently a group set up by members of the local Muslim community in Manchester, to protest against the presence of dogs in public as they "impure and unclean" and contrary to Islamic law.

They have a website (http://4publicpurity.org/), a Facebook page and have been leaflet dropping through doors in Manchester.

For me, it's batshit crazy for one of two reasons. First reason, if it is genuinely Muslims protesting against people walking their dogs, then it's a bit fucked up, quite oppressive and probably won't go down well in the local community.

Second reason, and one which I think is more likely to be the real version of events, if it's some right wing loon who has a problem with Islam and Muslims and is trying to stir up a bit of interest faith/ethnic tension in the area, they've gone to some scary lengths of trolling, setting up a website and Facebook page and getting leaflets printed.

They were approached by North West Tonight and asked to comment/appear on the show. They didn't reply to them. I'm suspecting that this is because they didn't want their true identity/lack of Muslimness and the true nature of their stunt to be revealled.

Either way, it's all a bit mad.

Firstly there is a basis in truth in the content of the message; dogs are considered to be unclean/impure animals by at least some muslims.  There were a couple of incidents here a year or so ago where cab drivers were up in front of the licencing committee for refusing to take guide dogs in their cars due to it.  Having said that, there are also plenty of muslims who don't have any issue with them.  As someone said in the Evening News tonight, he wouldn't be around dogs when going to prayer etc but other than that, it's not a problem to him. As with anything to do with religion, some people are going to take it more seriously than others.

This specific incident though smells like simple trolling or an attempt to whip up bad feeling.  That still doesn't definitively indicate who may ultimately be behind it as you could make a case for either muslims or non-muslims wanting to do that for a variety of reasons.  I do have my suspicions though.