You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2016 Round Up (Final)

tlw content

euroroundup10.jpg

You probably won’t believe this, but I genuinely took no pleasure from Ronaldo going off injured in the final. None at all. Of course I was desperately hoping to see him lose, I would have loved to see him miss a penalty and I’d have been delighted to see him have an absolute stinker and leave the field in floods of tears.

I didn’t want to see him go off injured though as it took something away from the game, and not just the opportunity to laugh at him missing chances and then bollocking poor old Nani to deflect the blame elsewhere. 

For it to happen so early in the game made it even worse, but it was obvious when it happened that he was in big trouble. Payet’s challenge was a fair one but you could see from the impact on Ronaldo’s knee that there was ligament damage. He tried to run it off but couldn’t break into a full sprint and his final act was to not get off the floor when attacking a cross. Clearly he couldn’t continue, but why is he going off on a stretcher? 

That’s a rhetorical question, we all know why - because he’s a friggin’ bad drama queen. Ok, he obviously couldn’t carry on and there is no question that he’s damaged his knee, probably seriously, but if he could still run with a limp then he could certainly walk off the field. Yet instead he goes off on a stretcher, crying his eyes out. You only do that if it’s a broken leg and you can’t walk, or if the knee has given way completely and you can’t put any weight on it. 

Neither applied in this case, as we saw later when he was bouncing around from one team-mate to another before extra time, giving them pep talks. Oh NOW you want to be nice to them? Apparently he gave an incredible speech at half time too. Love how he can be “Mr Team First Guy” when he realises he’s utterly helpless and totally reliant on these fuckers he’s been berating for years for not being good enough to share the same field as him.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a one month FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for one month.

• Upvote 3

France should have started with Kante as the DM, with Pogba/Sissoko and Matuidi either side in more advanced positions as part of a midfield 3. Sissoko would likely have been the one to miss out in favour of Pogba but it would have given the French midfield the right balance as well as utilising all 3 midfielders in their optimum roles. Matuidi is left footed and extremely consistent so having him in there and able to cover when Evra pushes forward and Payet drifts infield again would have helped with balance.

Deschamps - by going with Pogba, Matuidi and Sissoko in midfield - stifled his own team because both Matuidi and especially Pogba were playing with the reins on. France only had Sissoko able to link up with the attack and break powerfully from midfield when they could have had 2 players doing that.

That injury last night was an unbelievable bit of PR for Ronaldo. The amount of people that have come out in support of him since is incredible. With that and Messi's tax avoision case, it's been a great week for him.

I wonder will he still be as popular in January when he wins the Ballon D'or "because he won the 2 biggest trophies"? Then he'll launch out a massive "Siiiii!!!!!" and people will remember "Ah yes, he's a cunt isn't he?"

Hamsik Dave? I thought he was up there with Zlatan on your "I've never seen him do it"-ometer?

He was, along with Ribery and a few others. He did alright in this tournament though.

I had Portugal in the office sweepstake, so I am quite happy!  I was a little disappointed there was no mention of the moth on Ronaldo's face in the match report. 

I totally forgot about it when I was writing it, but that's probably my brain blocking it out because it reminded me of something that still freaks me out....

rodriguez1_2965188b.jpg