You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dreams you never achieved

Besides winning a fridge magnet...or a threesome with Scarlett Johanson and a random NSFW Summer Slags bird, what dreams have been just crushed, thrown by the wayside, been ground down by modern society....

Once I realized I was shite at football, ice hockey, and any other sport, I wanted to be a sports journalist or a regular journo.

And a bus driver.

Is it wrong that every time I pull out of the garage I am living the dream?

I wish I had pursued journalism and know that the bus may be the easy way out.

Damn that poem, it has defined me.

Wanted to be an officer in the navy when I was a kid but the careers woman (a wren NCO) said I'd struggle because I was a scouser. This probably wasn't entirely true, but the fact she even raised it as a possible issue made me fuck it off.

Wanted to be an officer in the navy when I was a kid but the careers woman (a wren NCO) said I'd struggle because I was a scouser. This probably wasn't entirely true, but the fact she even raised it as a possible issue made me fuck it off.

Yep, what do people from Liverpool know about ships, eh?

Sports journalist for me too. And diagnostic radiographer. And solicitor. Came close to the latter, but working as a paralegal in a commercial law firm put me off. A cunts industry. Full of arse kissers and back stabbers and people busting their arses to make rich people even richer.

Non work related. Travelling to South America. Learning drums. Writing a book.

I had dreams, most of them involved exacting hideous revenge on a select set of people that have in some way caused me pain through my life.

I realised one day that by just living longer than them I had already achieved that revenge, that and their bodies never having been discovered. 

So the question has to be did I achieve those dreams of did the inevitability of death do it for me. 

I was told exactly the same thing. The careers office in town? It was a fella who said it to me though. Basically said with an accent like that no-one will take you serious why don't you consider just being an able rating for now. I was 16 and he changed the course of my life for the worse the fat fucking wool.

I was told exactly the same thing. The careers office in town? It was a fella who said it to me though. Basically said with an accent like that no-one will take you serious why don't you consider just being an able rating for now. I was 16 and he changed the course of my life for the worse the fat fucking wool.

Yep.

They had nobody there who knew about officer entry at all, some bloke used to come up from Manchester once a month for appointments.

I chatted to him, he was a lieutenant commander who'd risen through the ranks but looked about 65, kept steering the conversation back to joining as an enlisted man even though I said I was going to go to uni.

I don't know what it's like these days, but whenever a ship docks they wheel out some of the locals for the echo to take a picture of, they'll often say one of the officers is a scouser but he's usually from Hoylake.

Having the tiniest modicum of sporting or musical talent would have been nice.

It's interesting to wonder how often people missed something they were good at purely because they never tried it. All the golfers for instance who played with their dads when they were kids, it's such a random sport there could be loads of potential champions out there sat in Wetherpoons with their face in a pint.

I was shit at footy but it's all they played in PE in our school. When I moved to Widnes everyone played Rugby and I suspect I would have been half decent at that in school if I'd had the chance, purely because I was big and fast for my size. Life, tis a garden of forking paths.

• Upvote 1

More than anything during and after leaving uni, I wanted to volunteer in re-building projects in third-world countries. The Montserrat volcano had just gone off and the place was fucked. I was absolutely up for going over there to help sort it out in some way - which surprised me as I'm generally a selfish and cynical misanthrope. So, I did my research and rang the VSO to see what the craic was. Some snooty cow said they only consider me if I were fully qualified in my field. I explained I'd just got my Architecture degree and had a good four years study still to go at that stage, but was probably well qualified for the kind of work they did. She just hung up on me. .Shortly after I moved to Leeds to finish uni instead...