You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

Just now, aRdja said:

Football has started so that’s some way towards normality, but the one way to protect the “old and the frail” is for those with symptoms and especially those with the virus, to self-isolate right? You don’t want footballers spreading the virus to old, frail, sickly, care workers, meds, etc right?

So where do you draw line with balancing that and sporting integrity (whch is what this debate was about).....it is deep and very, very complex - but for me (and hey maybe i am wrong and maybe my view is ill informed) we simply can't keep pulling people out of society - elite footballers, bar staff, factory workers or whatever indefinitely because they test positive, because that could go on forever.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

So where do you draw line with balancing that and sporting integrity (whch is what this debate was about).....it is deep and very, very complex - but for me (and hey maybe i am wrong and maybe my view is ill informed) we simply can't keep pulling people out of society - elite footballers, bar staff, factory workers or whatever indefinitely because they test positive, because that could go on forever.

Are you dumb? What do you normally do when you're sick? You fucking pull out of society for a bit. It's the same shit at a greater and more important scale. How is this hard to figure out?

Guest Alex_K
12 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sporting integrity in this instance is to not partake in a contact sport if you have a dehabilitating, infectious illness. Whether its covid or any other illness, it shouldn't be the done thing. In that respect it isn't complex. In reality it will probably go on for about a year while it works its way around. As said a few posts above, in terms of scheduling its better to get it now than later in the season. Ultimately it is up to clubs as an employer to enforce a framework of behaviour for the employees: the absence of positive tests in June shows it can be evaded, but clubs would essentially need to incentivise players to work in a bubble during the season as before. Difficult with existing contracts however. Realistically it will hit most if not all clubs at some time or other - ourselves, City and West Ham have all been struck alone in recent weeks.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

So where do you draw line with balancing that and sporting integrity (whch is what this debate was about)

I don't understand why you think sporting integrity is being compromised to any great extent. Some players will have to sit out for a couple of weeks, that's it. Players get injured all the time anyway - there's no inherent fairness in it. What's the big deal?

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

I suppose that was my question... how do you propose for football to keep keeping on without it killing lives? I think self-isolating players tested positive is the only solution, no? Because the alternative is we have no football. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Are you dumb? What do you normally do when you're sick? You fucking pull out of society for a bit. It's the same shit at a greater and more important scale. How is this hard to figure out?

Being 'sick' and testing positive whilst feeling fine are surely different things.

If Mane (or any player at any club) pulls a hamstring in training for example, then so be it - in my opinion a player testing positive for covid should not affect any club - unless he is too ill to play, then maybe in the interests of sporting integrity there needs to be a line where a club can say they are too depleted to play fairly.

Anyway i am bored of this now..as i am sure other members of this community are.

I can't see anything positive from carrying on with this...if you have a problem with me personally you are welcome to pursue things further with me offline if you feel the need to.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

I agree with you, you are wrong and no doubt ill-informed! Regardless of how ill informed you are you have a lot to say on it and no doubt entitled to your opinion. I just think the majority of people  that are doing best to obey rules, safeguard the elderly, families etc are tired of hearing this drab old nonsense of how upset some people are that their ‘rights’ are being abused or the evidence points to X. Sporting integrity Christ, I haven’t heard that one.

Maybe walk away from this one..

• Upvote 3

That BBC article was, to me, quite eye opening.

I’ve been a bit bamboozled with all the facts and figures bandied around, with the restrictions being lifted and then put back in place etc. etc., to the point where I was getting numbed by the thing.

The one thing that did strike me from the article though was that, although this type of disease has been seen and handled very differently in the past, to the point where society just carries on and accepts the deaths as a consequence of any pandemic or annual disease (13000 deaths average annually from flu I believe?), this particular coronavirus is unknown and the effect it might have can only be guessed at, even by experts.

For that reason alone, we should be very careful about letting it run its course unchecked in the hope it may not prove any worse than flu or similar diseases.

It may well be that it might not adversely affect the majority of those who contract it, but as one who is in the higher risk age category (I’m having my flu jab at 9 am this morning) I’d personally not like to find out the hard way that it might.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Being 'sick' and testing positive whilst feeling fine are surely different things.

If Mane (or any player at any club) pulls a hamstring in training for example, then so be it - in my opinion a player testing positive for covid should not affect any club - unless he is too ill to play, then maybe in the interests of sporting integrity there needs to be a line where a club can say they are too depleted to play fairly.

Anyway i am bored of this now..as i am sure other members of this community are.

I can't see anything positive from carrying on with this...if you have a problem with me personally you are welcome to pursue things further with me offline if you feel the need to.

Christ, I just think you're a whopper on the internet, I don't think we have to meet up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Fit to play football versus fit for the guidelines laid down for this lark are very different things.

Personally i think losing 20% of what would be our most likely starting line up to this shite and the threat of more for us and all clubs is a load of shite and rubbishes the sporting integrity.

"This lark" being a potentially fatal disease.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Christ, I just think you're a whopper on the internet, I don't think we have to meet up.

I think you are a massive beaut on the internet...but hey.

My point is that fuck all is achieved going back and forth behind our keyboards/phones....it could go on like this forever.

So we have a choice to either agree that is the case and end this shite, or if you feel there is a deeper problem given your stated feelings about me (as far as i am concerned you are talking to me as a person not as some faceless entity on the internet) then I have offered you the opportunity to take it up with me in person however you feel you want to.

I'd rather not as i feel i wouldn't get on with you in real life as i don't here, but rather than bore people here to death the offer stands.

18 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think you are a massive beaut on the internet...but hey.

My point is that fuck all is achieved going back and forth behind our keyboards/phones....it could go on like this forever.

So we have a choice to either agree that is the case and end this shite, or if you feel there is a deeper problem given your stated feelings about me (as far as i am concerned you are talking to me as a person not as some faceless entity on the internet) then I have offered you the opportunity to take it up with me in person however you feel you want to.

I'd rather not as i feel i wouldn't get on with you in real life as i don't here, but rather than bore people here to death the offer stands.

Number 1, I'm an ocean away. Number 2, I just disagree with you over some stuff and think your attitude stinks, but it's no big deal. Plenty of people don't like me on here either but I don't need to meet them. Number 3, the only one of my nemeses on here I would meet if I was in the neighborhood, is @aRdja

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Number 1, I'm an ocean away. Number 2, I just disagree with you over some stuff and think your attitude stinks, but it's no big deal. Plenty of people don't like me on here either but I don't need to meet them. Number 3, the only one of my nemeses on here I would meet if I was in the neighborhood, is @aRdja

Number 4, i am going my pit.

Number 5, good night.

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

No.

How would "sporting integrity" be served if, for example, an opposing player who had the virus  (and had tested positive, albeit with no symptoms) passed it on to Virg (say) and made him sick for a few weeks at a crucial stage of the season?

30 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

No.

How would "sporting integrity" be served if, for example, an opposing player who had the virus  (and had tested positive, albeit with no symptoms) passed it on to Virg (say) and made him sick for a few weeks at a crucial stage of the season?

Then we may as well not play as what you describe can happen anyway with a player who is asymptomatic who has not been tested or has only become 'positive' between last test and next game...(i assume we don't test every player every day)

This can literally never end way we are going about it.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm with you on meeting @aRdja, watching how the restaurant reacts to his entry as he consider his breakfast order would be a lesson in entrepreneurship.

Not good about Sadio, at least he won’t be on international duty. 
Hope he’s back soon.

All these players getting positive recently, I wonder if it’s because they’ve been on holiday? I mean there were pictures of Vardy on the beach somewhere - one of the Spanish islands I think.

8 hours ago, an tha said:

The answer is 80.

This is an illness that overwhelmigly kills the old and frail, sadly....the overwhelming majority of young and healthy people who contract it will either not even know they have it or will have  an illness that is mild.

The chances of you or I contracting covid and dying from covid are tiny, really tiny - unless we are old/ill.

Yet here we are living with massive restrictions on our lives and even now letting it affect the teams elite football clubs are allowed to field 

I understand the fear that exists...People are living in fear because they have been force fed a narrative that there is this super deadly virus out there that is indiscrimanately killing people.

I do understand totally that it killed loads earlier in year at the start of it here when nobody caught on about it, when we were unprepared...but those deaths were overwhelmingly in care homes, other care settings and amongst the old and frail - the average age of covid deaths here is as said 80.

Now we are more clued up why can't we protect those people and those settings and at same time let the rest of us who it hardly affects crack on?

Way we are acting there will literally never be an end to this because the virus is here to stay, make no mistake, just like other viruses - we didn't destroy economies, society, put millions and millions out of work, make millions of peoples lives miserable etc etc for other viruses did we - it makes no sense to me why we are doing it for this one.....a virus that in the overwhelming number of the general public who get it people hardly even know they have it.

In terms of infections/positive cases/positive tests etc - personally i say the more the better really as long as they don't lead to massive deaths - which they aren't at present, as this gives us best shot at immunity developing and i am sure we could keep moving forward and get normality back if we protect the most vulnerable people and the most vulnerable settings....

Immunity may very well at the very least have a chance of building then....lockdowns etc don't help at all with immunity.

The grip of fear this virus has over people is because of how governments like ours have stood up up every day for months and tell us dozens of people died today from it.....they don't do the same for all the other thousands of deaths that occur every day from all sorts of things, and they don't provide any context into the numbers they quote like for example how for the last 3 months in the UK flu has more mentions on death certificates than covid has...

Anyway i am clearly in the minority with my view and you know what that is fine - i stand by what i believe, make no apologies for what i believe and ultimately accept what others believe/any criticism of what i believe.

I am not very articulate or very capable of making my point eloquently sadly so this article here largely sums up my position....i include elite sport in this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649

Gobshite opinion.

I’m alright jack.

It’s not who it kills that is relevant, it’s how easily it is spread. And spread from one who is not likely to die, to one who may very well.

i don’t want someone infected to come into contact with me because, while I shouldn’t die, my daughters mum probably would. May grandparents who help with childcare in the week probably would. 

Ive changed my life to limit risk of me catching it and therefore spreading it, and so why shouldn’t that also apply to footballers, just because if their team loses you would be upset about it and be on the receiving end of bants on the internet.

fuck sporting integrity being your excuse to be a selfish prick.

• Upvote 7