You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Stats shmats! The biggest Stat is his injury record, nobody is denying what a decent finisher he is...

Christ - 8 weeks into season and joint top - I'd love to have all these worries 8 months into season joint top!

• Upvote 2

If he completely fixes his body, regains his pace, changes his attitude to counter pressing, and ups his work ethic, I'm more than happy for him to be in the team as number 1. Considering that's impossible, as time seems to flow in a linear fashion for mosts of us, I don't think some stats based off of what he was doing years ago, nor some dodgy stats from a couple of bench performances, is enough to cover for it. 

CAN FUCKING FOOTBALL COME BACK SO WE CAN STOP THIS FUCKING SHIT. Ta.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hades said:

He was perfectly suited to our style. Barca's slow buildup doesn't play to his strengths, it's all built for Messi.

Messi is still in the team so it should still be working.

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

If he completely fixes his body, regains his pace, changes his attitude to counter pressing, and ups his work ethic, I'm more than happy for him to be in the team as number 1. Considering that's impossible, as time seems to flow in a linear fashion for mosts of us, I don't think some stats based off of what he was doing years ago, nor some dodgy stats from a couple of bench performances, is enough to cover for it. 

Haha my thoughts Fazakerely!

2 hours ago, Hades said:

This is cucked. We are far worse in an attacking sense since Coutinho left.

We beat Spartak 7-0 with Coutinho in midfield, then two months later beat a better Porto side 0-5 on the road without him. We miss some of his qualities sure, but as an attacking unit there's not much proof we're worse without him.

Also, we're far, far better defensively now, mostly because we bought a defender and keeper with the money we got for him and because we could never get away with playing him in midfield without getting cut apart.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Agreed. If he was a completely different footballer. One a little more like, say, Firmino, I'd be happy for him to start.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I was responding to @VladimirIlyich and @Joey8FrogsLegs‘s comments about how Shaqiri should be the first cover for the front three. I don’t think as it is, anyone is arguing for Sturridge to be “number 1”. Although it has to be said, the notion that the current starting forwards are seen as undroppable regardless of form doesn’t really sit well with me. 

cc @Grinch

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We beat Spartak 7-0 with Coutinho in midfield, then two months later beat a better Porto side 0-5 on the road without him. We miss some of his qualities sure, but as an attacking unit there's not much proof we're worse without him.

Also, we're far, far better defensively now, mostly because we bought a defender and keeper with the money we got for him and because we could never get away with playing him in midfield without getting cut apart.

That front three was perfectly balanced: a creator, a presser and a finisher. It's about combinations and being able to give the ball to somebody when nothing else is going your way. He added immense set pieces too. Shaqiri should play, either in place of Salah or Mane' because neither are offering much right now.

18 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I was responding to @VladimirIlyich and @Joey8FrogsLegs‘s comments about how Shaqiri should be the first cover for the front three. I don’t think as it is, anyone is arguing for Sturridge to be “number 1”. Although it has to be said, the notion that the current starting forwards are seen as undroppable regardless of form doesn’t really sit well with me. 

cc @Grinch

How many times have poor players, playing poorly, been kept in our side in the last few seasons. I can think of a couple of high profile World Cup Semi Finalists.

5 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

How many times have poor players, playing poorly, been kept in our side in the last few seasons. I can think of a couple of high profile World Cup Semi Finalists.

Not sure what your point is. If you think that we should have untouchable players then fair enough. I disagree. 

17 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

A bit too early, so why are you mentioning it?  Do you want them dropped or not? 

Per my other post maybe players like Lovren, Henderson, Moreno and Karius getting dropped sooner might have helped us and them.

I never said I wanted them dropped as yet. The discussion started with which player we prefer to be the first cover if one of them is out injured. However if they continue this form deeper into the season, of course I’d like to see some changes. 

Lovren, Moreno, Karius got dropped at various stages of last season (and prior). Not sure what you’re getting at here. Lovren came back in because he was better than the alternatives and he rewarded us with some colossal performances along the way, finishing the season with his best game for us yet; keeping arguably the best striker of all time goalless in the CL final.

• Downvote 1

Time or dropped

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Lovren, Moreno, Karius got dropped at various stages of last season. Not sure what you’re getting at here. Lovren came back in because he was better than the alternatives and he rewarded us with some colossal performances along the way, finishing the season with his best game for us yet; keeping arguably the best striker of all time goalless in the CL final.

Did you not read the word “ sooner “.  Maybe they as lesser players were given too long, maybe the best strike force in Europe last season should get as long as they did, possibly more than eight games. 

41 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Time or dropped

Did you not read the word “ sooner “.  Maybe they as lesser players were given too long, maybe the best strike force in Europe last season should get as long as they did, possibly more than eight games. 

I think you’re arguing against what you think my position is as opposed to what it actually is. I’m in agreement with you that they should not be dropped as yet. All this noise Lovren, Henderson is not very relevant at all. At some stage if they don’t improve, I would like to see changes. You don’t seem to agree, and that’s fine.

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think you’re arguing against what you think my position is as opposed to what it actually is. I’m in agreement with you that they should not be dropped as yet. All this noise Lovren, Henderson is not very relevant at all. At some stage if they don’t improve, I would like to see changes. You don’t seem to agree, and that’s fine.

They should play through it as class is permanent. People might get there wish though as Mane might miss games, hopefully not. 

Just now, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

They should play through it as class is permanent. People might get there wish though as Mane might miss games, hopefully not. 

Sure so you think they’re undroppable. I disagree, I don’t think any player should be.

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Sure so you think they’re undroppable. I disagree, I don’t think any player should be.

Never said they were, just think after the season they had and being 8 league games in and joint top they might deserve time. If after 15 games we’re well behind and they are not performing then minds may change, even Klopp’s.