You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

My only reservation is the pricetag. It's a lot of money for someone unproven but because of the ridiculous amounts flying around in football these days, it's not quite enough to bring unsustainable pressure to bear on the player if he doesn't hit the ground running. I like my transfer fees to be stupid and obviously large enough to warrant mumbles, groans and boos from early in the season. I don't want to have to wait until October to know if this lad is worth the cash and for me to start booing the little shit. I just have this nagging feeling we should have waited and paid more. 

Gives us real pace ala Sterling with a bit of an end product to boot. The money changing hands is absolutely ridiculous, but as LFD said, the total outlay for us so far is under 40 million, and Mane will be a huge upgrade on our other wing options (as none of them are really wingers!).

I think this would be our strongest line-up as things stand;

--------------------Karius----------------

Clyne-----Matip------Lovren/Sakho---Moreno

------------Henderson---Allen---------------------

Mane-------------Firmino--------------Coutinho

---------------------Origi----------------------------

Not all individual superstars of course, and the CM duo is not an all time Liverpool great. If we think Klopp bases his teams on work ethic and pace however, I think we're getting close to what he wants. Even with Grujic coming in, I think we'll do some business in the CM area, if not this summer then in January. As good a footballer as Allen is, I think he might be sacrificed for someone with a bit more of a physical presence. Personally I'd let one of Milner/Henderson go instead, but we'll see. As I predicted towards the close of the season, there's not much movement in the established LB search. For all his gnarling at Moreno during matches, I think he sees him as a player he can work with because of his immense stamina and pace.

That is frightening...ly shit.

Karius

Clyne - Matip - Lovren/Sahko - Someone that can defend

Someone with a brain - Someone with some balls

Someone left footed - Coutinho - Mane

Sturridge

Aye, we can't play basically 4 up front - whether you include Firmino or Origi or whoever - without a solid bastard midfield two.

Aye, we can't play basically 4 up front - whether you include Firmino or Origi or whoever - without a solid bastard midfield two.

I've got a horrible feeling that we're going to spend another season wasting Coutinho out wide. I'd much rather he played as the number 10, and Firmino replaced him sometimes (and played the odd game as the striker), and we had two direct quick wide players either side.

But, yeah, the midfield. It would make such an enormous difference if we bought a top class central midfielder.

I've got a horrible feeling that we're going to spend another season wasting Coutinho out wide. I'd much rather he played as the number 10, and Firmino replaced him sometimes (and played the odd game as the striker), and we had two direct quick wide players either side.

But, yeah, the midfield. It would make such an enormous difference if we bought a top class central midfielder.

Coutinho central with two wingers on either side is the best setup but I think he showed this season that he can translate his skillset to the left to good effect. I don't think it's a waste of his ability at all. Defensively it gives us issues with him and Moreno on that side, but I don't think it inhibits Coutinho in an attacking sense as he always cuts inside anyways.

Agree that central midfield still needs to be addressed. Zielinski would not be enough. We either need someone with great ability like Dahoud or a midfield destroyer.

Happy with the signing. Pace. Width. Goals. Assists.

The price is a bit steep, but that's par for the course buying in the Prem from a team that does not want to sell. By all accounts the player made his wishes known and the deal looks to be going through. However, it's not done until he is leaning on something.

There are other players who have more of a name, but the problem is they won't come to us at this stage. But I'm not overly bothered about that. Klopp wants hungry players and I think Mane fits the bill. He will add a new dimension to our attack.

Three probable improvements to the first team for £40M in goal, central defence and on the wing. Plus a young prospect in midfield. So far so good.

Left back is the most glaring area to address next, and it will be interesting to see what happens to the midfield, both in and out.

Having a bleak at their forums to see what they thought of mane leaving.

They all seemed happy to get rid of Pelle cause theyve got Long and Austin. Strange bunch.

They are a strange fucking bunch though. Jumped up little shits to a man.

Gives us real pace ala Sterling with a bit of an end product to boot. The money changing hands is absolutely ridiculous, but as LFD said, the total outlay for us so far is under 40 million, and Mane will be a huge upgrade on our other wing options (as none of them are really wingers!).

Not all individual superstars of course, and the CM duo is not an all time Liverpool great. If we think Klopp bases his teams on work ethic and pace however, I think we're getting close to what he wants. Even with Grujic coming in, I think we'll do some business in the CM area, if not this summer then in January. As good a footballer as Allen is, I think he might be sacrificed for someone with a bit more of a physical presence. Personally I'd let one of Milner/Henderson go instead, but we'll see. As I predicted towards the close of the season, there's not much movement in the established LB search. For all his gnarling at Moreno during matches, I think he sees him as a player he can work with because of his immense stamina and pace.

That CM duo not an all time Liverpool great? It wouldn't be an all time springy park great!!

If we go into this season with Henderson and Allen as our best midfield pairing then we may as well not bother.

What now for henderson allen lucas milner and stewart?

Assuming we play 4231, can will be 1 of the 2 so its between the rest to be other 1. With grujic in now as well and with no europe we could probably get rid of 3.

Allen seems nailed on to go. I d sell lucas. I think henderson could be sold as well. Milner and can as the midfield 2? Stewart and grujic as back up? I d keep henderson and let him vy with milner and can unless we buy a big marauding fucker

Where is Emre Can? He is our best midfielder IMO.

• Upvote 1

What now for henderson allen lucas milner and stewart?

Henderson - Sell if someone is stupid enough to offer £18mill + (unlikely)

Allen - Sell

Lucas - Sell

Milner - Worth keeping

Stewart - Backup (not worth fuck all)

I'd have Can before Hendo or Allen.

And Cout needs to get a lot more consistent to deserve the rave ratings many hold

Although such is becoming the clamour to suggest an over-rated level of performance by him, it's nearly getting to the point where he needs a few more folk rave-rating him, to avoid under-rating.

I like Henderson and Can in CM.  

Not as good as Alonso or Mascherano, but nor are any of the other CMs in the league.

I think it is one of the best partnerships in the league.  I would like to see Dahoud come though, to increase our options, depth and he seems a real play maker.

I like Henderson and Can in CM.

Not as good as Alonso or Mascherano, but nor are any of the other CMs in the league.

I think it is one of the best partnerships in the league. I would like to see Dahoud come though, to increase our options, depth and he seems a real play maker.

I don't think sitting in a midfield two suits Hendo at all really. Saying that though, didn't we have an ok set of results with the pair of them last season?

Part of the problem with all of our central midfielders is that not only are they not particularly good, but they don't have a specific role to even be not particularly good at. A collection of very average central midfielders that all need to really be the middle of the three.

• Upvote 1

I don't think sitting in a midfield two suits Hendo at all really. Saying that though, didn't we have an ok set of results with the pair of them last season?

We had impressive results when Henderson played last season.

Henderson & Can looked good in most of the game they played together.  Even a game like the League Cup Final vs Man City, we lost, but we had 60% possession when they were competing against nearly a three man CM in Fernando, Fernandinho & Toure.  Shame our match winners were poop that day in Sturridge, Firmino, Coutinho etc.

Henderson is best in a three man CM.  He has more freedom to get forward and you can press taking more risks, knowing you have two men covering.

In a two man midfield he has to be more disciplined.  This means less forward runs, not running around like a twat following the ball all the time - like Milner does when in a CM two.  

Unfortunately for Henderson, unless he is perfect and the team wins - he is deemed to be shit and is the scapegoat.  We saw it for England this summer.  Sadly our fans do the same with him for LFC.  

Yet our results record with him, speaks for itself.  So does his stats for a CM player.  Unfortunately in the first season he came and was played out of position, people came to the conclusion he was shit, was a bottler etc.  This perception of him has not been able to change, as perceptions are hard to shift.  Even when he was a regular for us in our title challenging season or getting more PL goals & assist combined than anyone else in our squad - people still go back to that first season because in the back of their minds they have already judged he is shit.  When the reality is, he's not and actually he makes us a much better team when he plays.

We had impressive results when Henderson played last season.

Henderson & Can looked good in most of the game they played together.  Even a game like the League Cup Final vs Man City, we lost, but we had 60% possession when they were competing against nearly a three man CM in Fernando, Fernandinho & Toure.  Shame our match winners were poop that day in Sturridge, Firmino, Coutinho etc.

Henderson is best in a three man CM.  He has more freedom to get forward and you can press taking more risks, knowing you have two men covering.

In a two man midfield he has to be more disciplined.  This means less forward runs, not running around like a twat following the ball all the time - like Milner does when in a CM two.  

Unfortunately for Henderson, unless he is perfect and the team wins - he is deemed to be shit and is the scapegoat.  We saw it for England this summer.  Sadly our fans do the same with him for LFC.  

Yet our results record with him, speaks for itself.  So does his stats for a CM player.  Unfortunately in the first season he came and was played out of position, people came to the conclusion he was shit, was a bottler etc.  This perception of him has not been able to change, as perceptions are hard to shift.  Even when he was a regular for us in our title winning season or getting more PL goals & assist combined than anyone else in our squad - people still go back to that first season because in the back of their minds they have already judged he is shit.  When the reality is, he's not and actually he makes us a much better team when he plays.

What???