You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

I think it is an excellent signing ( if confirmed ) and a realistic price in today's market. We will be basically swapping him for Benteke & Allen money-wise & getting a good player for a position we desperately need over a donkey & a player the manager doesn't want.

I am happy to see us prioritise positions we are weak in for a change. The random purchases of guys who were 'available' but with no thought as to how they would fit in & improve us used to send me around the bend.

However if we do not get a quality left back , please ignore this post & I reserve the right to smuggle Moreno to Somalia hidden in a laundry basket in exchange for copious quantities of khat. Indeed I will have some of what Nightcat is smoking.

• Upvote 1

Can we shoehorn his name into the Richard Blackwood song?

Jurgen used to say "Go take on your man"

Jurgen used to say "Don't you rush that shot"

Jurgen used to say "Take it in your stride"

And Jurgen used to say "Scoring for your life"

Say my name, baby
(Ooh, we love you, Sadio, check you every day on Radio)
Who da Mane, baby, who da Mane (you da Mane)
Who da Mane (you da Mane)

DD, I think the difference is that he actually fulfils a need in the squad whereas I can't remember too much excitement around Benteke as from the start most Reds fans could see he was never going to fit our game unless as a £32.5m Ricky Lambert substitute.

• Upvote 1

Well the price is ridiculous. But i guess thats the rate for a midfielder in the prem who gets into double figures. I think the main thing that gets people somewhat upset is the fact that he's another Southampton player and it's another expensive signing from a PL side.

Had he played for Sevilla or Leverkusen, say, i dont think people would have thought twice about if it is a good signing or not.

He does fit the bill quite perfectly of what we need, left sided attacking midfielder with pace and scores a lot of goals, presses well and works hard. It really is a no brainer. However the fact its from Southampton again is probably a thorn in people's eyes.

It doesn't matter who it's from. £34m is is about £14m too much.

Let's see how much other players are bought for this summer before judging the price.

Watford rejected £25m for Deeney.  I think you are going to see some crazy prices this summer.

It doesn't matter who it's from. £34m is is about £14m too much.

While people try and justify it by comparing it with the sterling/Benteke deals, they're among the worst deals in football history.

I hope he does well, obviously. But we've been robbed. Again.

Our scouts need sacked.

34 million is too much. But i really dont see a realistic alternative. Who can we realistically get that as an attacking midfielder is likely to get us 10+ goals?

We dont seem to have the ability to bring in top players from Germany or Spain at the moment, not without CL football. Its not realistic for us to sign Draxler or Reus now, Gotze seems to have turned us down unless he has a change of heart.