You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Yeah I’m really bummed about this. £35m isn’t that much money for a player of his quality, I would’ve tried my hardest to convince him to stay one more season. 

And leave for nothing...likely with Salah too at same time??

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

We are getting outspent year after year by every other member of the top six, not just City. 

Our strategy isn't working 

You’ve always walked a fine line but I finally think you’ve gone full retard. 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find a club that has made better decisions in the transfer market than us since Klopp got here.

The amount of trophies we have under Klopp is criminal considering his talent. He always starts the season with gaps in the squad that cost us. 

We are lauded for getting good fees for our shit squad players (although I think that time is up now), but when it comes to our best players - they all leave for free or fuck all and then we don't have enough money to invest back into the squad as our owners are cunts. 

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Unless a club was Manchester City or PSG, there surely had to be a level of financial prudence during the first 18 months of the pandemic.

It wasn’t clear if and when games would resume and even then when fans would be allowed back in. There were also obvious issues around TV deal dividends when games weren’t taking place.

I don’t it’s too much of a jump to assume that most clubs were less likely to tempt us with the £100m+ Salah or Mane would have cost at a time of such financial uncertainty. 

On the flip side, didn’t we ‘blame’ the pandemic for ending our interest in Timo Werner?

Get 'the pandemic' on our scouting team.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, m0e said:

Firstly, there has been absolutely no suggestion from anyone at the club that any first teamer was available for sale since Coutinho left, right up until Mane today.

Secondly, plenty of clubs were spending plenty of money during the pandemic, if you actually care to inlcude the three windows we had during the actual pandemic.

If you have some other metric, I'm all ears.

In the summer of 2020 Chelsea bought Havertz, Werner and Chilwell for £200mil, with Lukaku for £100 in 2022. Pjanic went to Barca for £55 mil, along with another 2 players at over £25 mil each. Arthur went to Juve for £66 mil.

Man United spent big on Van Der Beek in 2020 then Sancho in 2021. Sane went to Bayern for 45 mil - the same fee Napoli paid for Osimeh and what it cost Partey to join Arsenal, along with Ben White for £50 mil and Gabriel for £27 mil.

Even the blue shite and Villa spent over £100 mil each. Rodrygo went to Leeds for £30 mil and Sheffield United bought Ryan fucking Brewster for £25 mil.

So, this idea that no money was being spent outside of PSG and Citeh is total bollocks.

There's not 1 fee there that would have been enough to get us to take a bid for either Salah or mane. I also don't think they'd have gone just anywhere. I can't be arsed looking up when Sancho went to Salford, but I feel sure that was in the pandemic, so that's another reasonable fee. But we were never accepting a bid from them or Chelsea or any other English club for that matter. And they wouldn't have left for less than the fee it took to move out coutinho. And as we're seeing with both mane & Salah, they believe they've earnt the right to earn that £350-400k type salary. I would say the only clubs who would do that in the pandemic were the 2 from down the m62 and psg. So it left psg. And they were busy working on keeping mbappe and bringing in Messi. 

10 hours ago, m0e said:

Firstly, there has been absolutely no suggestion from anyone at the club that any first teamer was available for sale since Coutinho left, right up until Mane today.

Secondly, plenty of clubs were spending plenty of money during the pandemic, if you actually care to inlcude the three windows we had during the actual pandemic.

If you have some other metric, I'm all ears.

In the summer of 2020 Chelsea bought Havertz, Werner and Chilwell for £200mil, with Lukaku for £100 in 2022. Pjanic went to Barca for £55 mil, along with another 2 players at over £25 mil each. Arthur went to Juve for £66 mil.

Man United spent big on Van Der Beek in 2020 then Sancho in 2021. Sane went to Bayern for 45 mil - the same fee Napoli paid for Osimeh and what it cost Partey to join Arsenal, along with Ben White for £50 mil and Gabriel for £27 mil.

Even the blue shite and Villa spent over £100 mil each. Rodrygo went to Leeds for £30 mil and Sheffield United bought Ryan fucking Brewster for £25 mil.

So, this idea that no money was being spent outside of PSG and Citeh is total bollocks.

I'll respectfully disagree. Abramovich's Chelsea don't count either. I'd be confident the totals across the main top divisions were well down on previous periods, but I'm not particularly arsed about this topic one way or another. 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's not 1 fee there that would have been enough to get us to take a bid for either Salah or mane. I also don't think they'd have gone just anywhere. 

That's right. They would have only ever gone to one of City, PSG, Chelsea, Barca, Atletico, Bayern or United (who all spent mega money in the pandemic) or Real Madrid.

Let's refresh our memories on how badly Real got impacted by the pandemic:

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4466008/real-madrid-bid-200m-for-kylian-mbappe-psg-fail-to-respond-sources

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I'll respectfully disagree. Abramovich's Chelsea don't count either. I'd be confident the totals across the main top divisions were well down on previous periods, but I'm not particularly arsed about this topic one way or another. 

Totals across divisions did go down.

Totals across the big clubs (those that could buy Mane or Salah) did not.

That was the point I was making.

8 hours ago, Daisy said:

The amount of trophies we have under Klopp is criminal considering his talent. He always starts the season with gaps in the squad that cost us. 

We are lauded for getting good fees for our shit squad players (although I think that time is up now), but when it comes to our best players - they all leave for free or fuck all and then we don't have enough money to invest back into the squad as our owners are cunts. 

Klopp's lost 4 finals here and doesn't have a great record in them in general. The context in those finals is different as well, he has the better squad in some of those. 

16 hours ago, an tha said:

And leave for nothing...likely with Salah too at same time??

If there is any comfort, Sadio leaves and we get some money from it, Mo goes and we get fuck all, which, is a bit of a joke really as we have took him from where he was, to where he is now, so I'd rather Salah go now and get some money for him.  

Bottom line, Sadio's departure is a lot more considerate than Mo's will be. 

15 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think there’s far more politics at play than that. Why take a massive step down at this stage of his career? It makes no sense

Easier league, still amongst the front runners for the CL every year, chance to stat pad your trophy count in relative comfort while being paid handsomly.

I wouldn't under-estimate the toll it must take on players to play in these Liverpool and Man City teams when the margins are so slim.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont think Ward is quite the level of Edwards when it comes to negotiating.  Not many are.

We seem very casual with contracts running down. 

If he doesn't sell someone shite to Bournemouth for over twenty million this summer we should fuck him off. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp's lost 4 finals here and doesn't have a great record in them in general. The context in those finals is different as well, he has the better squad in some of those. 

He's arguably won every final he's been the favourite in.

Plus, you'll be hard pushed to find any manager in world football who's made more finals than he has over the past 10 years.

Particularly if you take out the oil and gas clubs.