You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

We are getting outspent year after year by every other member of the top six, not just City. 

Our strategy isn't working 

3 cup finals, to the last day of the season… of course it isn’t. Admittedly we’ll probably never get that kind of thing again, but for fucks sake. This kind of post, and mentality, and owners with billions, is why I occasionally flirt with packing elite footy in for Glossop North End.

• Upvote 1

So much hand wringing...we'll be fine.

We have an incredible manager, with superb back room staff.

We have a squad who just went within an ace of winning everything.

We've just traded in a an ageing player (who has been boss for us) and we've bought a young natural goalscorer who can only improve from working with our incredible manager and his staff. It is the right move - the front 3 were always going to reach a point where they needed refreshing and that point has arrived. We have also avoided potentially losing Salah and Mane in same summer, which would have been problematic.

We also added Diaz last Jan - who will only improve.

We are boss and we will be absolutely sound without Mane.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Spurs have just paid £25m plus add ons for Yves Bissouma. Admittedly he's 5 years younger than Sadio but he was also in the last year of his contract.

Just saying.

He's got a criminal case hanging over him... 

Where does this idea that the pandemic stopped us selling our star players come from exactly? I've heard it quite a few times by quite a few posters and I have no idea what the content is.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Daisy said:

We are getting outspent year after year by every other member of the top six, not just City. 

Our strategy isn't working 

To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find a club that has made better decisions in the transfer market than us since Klopp got here.

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Where does this idea that the pandemic stopped us selling our star players come from exactly? I've heard it quite a few times by quite a few posters and I have no idea what the content is.

I think the pandemic probably removed Barca and Madrid as options for us to sell our better players. Which left only psg outside this country with loads to throw around. 

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

It's just speculation, as everyone does. 

Except for the oil clubs, the big clubs all got poor because of the pandemic. It's possible that without it, we'd have gotten a godfather offer for Mané or Salah after our title winning season. Maybe, maybe not.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Selling Mane or Salah two years ago would have been a big mistake.

It's interesting. We were very close this season, but we haven't won the league or Champions League since then. We'd probably be in the same spot ultimately.

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

My guess is the club would have expected one of them to push for a move had Barca or Madrid wanted them, even just last year. But they were out of the equation. 

Yeah true. 

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's interesting. We were very close this season, but we haven't won the league or Champions League since then. We'd probably be in the same spot ultimately.

Not for me.

I don't think we'd have been as close to winning the title or in another european cup final had we got rid of one of them.

It is of course just conjecture - but for my money we wouldn't have.

I believe we may very well have even failed to make the top 4 in that shite behind closed doors season where we were fucked by injuries too.

It feels like the right time to begin the reshaping of the forward line now - 2 years ago? Not for me.

2 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Scored the winning goal wearing my Senegal Mane number 10 shirt at 6 a side tonight. And then did a little cry.

See the source image

23 minutes ago, m0e said:

Not everyone does baseless speculation.

And this idea is baseless.

Baseless speculation is fun if it's not totally ridiculous. And you're not immune to doing it either, mate. 

Anyway, clubs were actually interested in both players, that's not totally baseless.

45 minutes ago, m0e said:

Unless a club was Manchester City or PSG, there surely had to be a level of financial prudence during the first 18 months of the pandemic.

It wasn’t clear if and when games would resume and even then when fans would be allowed back in. There were also obvious issues around TV deal dividends when games weren’t taking place.

I don’t it’s too much of a jump to assume that most clubs were less likely to tempt us with the £100m+ Salah or Mane would have cost at a time of such financial uncertainty. 

On the flip side, didn’t we ‘blame’ the pandemic for ending our interest in Timo Werner?

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Unless a club was Manchester City or PSG, there surely had to be a level of financial prudence during the first 18 months of the pandemic.

It wasn’t clear if and when games would resume and even then when fans would be allowed back in. There were also obvious issues around TV deal dividends when games weren’t taking place.

I don’t it’s too much of a jump to assume that most clubs were less likely to tempt us with the £100m+ Salah or Mane would have cost at a time of such financial uncertainty. 

On the flip side, didn’t we ‘blame’ the pandemic for ending our interest in Timo Werner?

Firstly, there has been absolutely no suggestion from anyone at the club that any first teamer was available for sale since Coutinho left, right up until Mane today.

Secondly, plenty of clubs were spending plenty of money during the pandemic, if you actually care to inlcude the three windows we had during the actual pandemic.

If you have some other metric, I'm all ears.

In the summer of 2020 Chelsea bought Havertz, Werner and Chilwell for £200mil, with Lukaku for £100 in 2022. Pjanic went to Barca for £55 mil, along with another 2 players at over £25 mil each. Arthur went to Juve for £66 mil.

Man United spent big on Van Der Beek in 2020 then Sancho in 2021. Sane went to Bayern for 45 mil - the same fee Napoli paid for Osimeh and what it cost Partey to join Arsenal, along with Ben White for £50 mil and Gabriel for £27 mil.

Even the blue shite and Villa spent over £100 mil each. Rodrygo went to Leeds for £30 mil and Sheffield United bought Ryan fucking Brewster for £25 mil.

So, this idea that no money was being spent outside of PSG and Citeh is total bollocks.