You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

Just seen the fee, less than £28m up front and less than £8m in add ons so just under £36m in total if all targets are achieved.

Bayern have pulled our pants down there. Didnt we want £42.5m? They get £40m+ for Lewondonski who is older and like Sadio, 1 year left on his contract.

It's obviously not a surprise, it's been coming and it's likely for the best but I'm still gutted. 

One of my favourite ever players. He was quality from his debut and signified where we were going under Klopp.

Some unbelievable individual performances, some brilliant goals and a key player in our overall recent success. He might not get the headlines Salah does, for me Mane is the better footballer

Just a shame he didn't go out having scored in the League Cup Final or won us the FA Cup with his penalty, his offside goal v Wolves didn't win the league or his effort in Paris didn't hit the inside of the post.

An absolute legend who, unfortunately, isn't getting the send off he deserves (on or off the pitch).

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

It's obviously not a surprise, it's been coming and it's likely for the best but I'm still gutted. 

One of my favourite ever players. He was quality from his debut and signified where we were going under Klopp.

Some unbelievable individual performances, some brilliant goals and a key player in our overall recent success. He might not get the headlines Salah does, for me Mane is the better footballer

Just a shame he didn't go out having scored in the League Cup Final or won us the FA Cup with his penalty, his offside goal v Wolves didn't win the league or his effort in Paris didn't hit the inside of the post.

An absolute legend who, unfortunately, isn't getting the send off he deserves (on or off the pitch).

That’s a lot of it, right there.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont think Ward is quite the level of Edwards when it comes to negotiating.  Not many are.

We seem very casual with contracts running down. 

Great to see we found a new scapegoat already.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

He was on the victory parade wasnt he? More people attended that than the last home game.

Although true, I don’t think it’s the same.

IMO, Anfield should have been giving Mane a thunderous ovation, while he got to collect a sign photo frame from Linda.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, etho said:

He's gone for a very low fee, can only think the threat of him seeing out his contract has forced our hand 

Thiago's fee was very low too when he went in the other direction. 

In fairness to him, he requested the move and I didn't hear his agent talking about running down his contract or threatening to join another English club. 

Gutted to see him leave, I thought until recently he would finish his career with us. No ill feeling though, just wish him the best. He’s been a bargain for us, put in world class performances consistently and has never been anything other than a true professional. 

Part of a legendary triumvirate for us that will hard to beat. It’s been a lot of fun.

F76EC742-3A01-47D5-AA10-8B8CCA7E4ED0.jpeg

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, etho said:

He's gone for a very low fee, can only think the threat of him seeing out his contract has forced our hand 

Or we did him a favour by not playing hardball because he's a legend and it suited everyone because it was probably agreed months ago that the parties should seperate.

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont think Ward is quite the level of Edwards when it comes to negotiating.  Not many are.

Ward wasn't in charge as the contract ran down.

TBH the fact that Mane announced he was leaving to the media before notifying the club makes any "negotiations" moot.

He decided who he was going to play for.

Been a great player for us and helped us win the lot in his time.

The evolution of the side goes on though and for me we have had his best years - he'll never be as good again as he was for us at his peak.

We couldn't have him and possibly Salah both going next summer on a free - and frankly regardless of the money we couldn't have both going or hitting the downward slide at same time either.

Now feels like the right time to me for him to go - we've added Diaz and Nunez from where we were and for me we'll improve again as a result.....I trust Klopp and his staff to get this transition right - including if and when Salah goes.

Only thing that leaves a bit of a bad taste is Mane's comments in interviews in lead up to going - just a bit of a strange one and a slight downer for me...

I just don't understand his behaviour in those interviews...he must have known LFC fans would be watching and hanging on every word....So why say 'i will have answer you want soon, great news'.....?

I appreciate he may have meant what media want to know and it is a big story for them - But he must have known how way he said would have come over to LFC fans...and that would be of course 'great news' meant staying.

Very strange IMHO.

But thanks for everything, Mane...a great servant of our club.

32 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

At the end of the day, there's not much we can do if the player is asking for more money than we're prepared to offer.

Evidently we're reluctant to contract people over 30, which ironically is John Henry's policy when it comes to wives too.

• Upvote 3