You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Well he gives most of it away so he won't be sitting on any pile of cash. 

The money is important though because doubling wages means doubling the amount of schools and hospitals he can pay for.

Where is this perception he gives most of it away and is not interested in money coming from?

I can only find he made several big donations in Senegal, in the region of 40k to 500k then there is a mention he built unspecified number of schools, hospitals and mosques and gives money to again unspecified number of people. So he gives a lot to charity, mostly in and around his hometown. He is still listed as having $25 million of net worth, with four expensive cars and a house worth $2 million.

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Where is this perception he gives most of it away and is not interested in money coming from?

I can only find he made several big donations in Senegal, in the region of 40k to 500k then there is a mention he built unspecified number of schools, hospitals and mosques and gives money to again unspecified number of people. So he gives a lot to charity, mostly in and around his hometown. He is still listed as having $25 million of net worth, with four expensive cars and a house worth $2 million.

I think he donates a fair bit of his disposable income to charity but I imagine a good few other footballers do too. European wages can do a fair bit back in Africa.

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't know how anyone can know what his net worth is. Most people haven't even got a clue what he's paid. 

Liverpool expect Bayern Munich will meet £40m Sadio Mane fee to fund …

By Sam Wallace, 9 June 2022 • 11:47am

Sadio Mané is out of contract with Liverpool next summer Credit: GETTY IMAGES

Liverpool expect Bayern Munich to meet their valuation of more than £40million for Sadio Mané which will then supply the funds to sign his proposed successor, Darwin Núñez, from Benfica for around £60m with additional extras that would get him close to their record signing.

The expectation is that Núñez will be available for around £60m and a further £15m to £20m in additional payments dependent on performance, with at least 50 per cent of that achievable in the short-term as long as the Uruguay international breaks into Liverpool the first team. There has been an informal agreement on wages with both sides aware of expectations and Jurgen Klopp is fully on board with the move.

Liverpool’s record signing is the centre-back Virgil Van Dijk who has been a transformative player since arriving from Southampton in 2018 for a deal of a total value of £75m. Liverpool, and their American owners Fenway Sports Group, have always worked to clearly defined budgets and they see Núñez’s value as £60m with the realistic add-ons on top of that. There is the potential for the proposed deal to exceed that eventually paid for Van Dijk but only if Núñez reaches specific targets.

Liverpool have rejected two bids for Mané, who has a single year left on his contract and have been clear with Bayern that they regard the player as worth more than £40m. The recent comments by Bayern president Herbert Hainer in relation to Robert Lewandowski’s future have caught Liverpool’s attention. Hainer was bullish about the club’s stance on achieving the right fee for the Poland striker who, like Mané, is out of contract next summer.
Liverpool expect that Darwin Núñez will be available for around £60m and a further £15m to £20m in additional payments Credit: REUTERS

Given that Bayern recognise that in their own case, a high-value player who is out of contract in 12 months should not automatically be subject to a fee discount, Liverpool are confident that the German club will meet their valuation. Lewandowski is almost three years older than Mané. Hainer added in the same statement: “We are in the fortunate position that we have no financial difficulties.”

Liverpool have again moved swiftly to position themselves on a deal for Núñez. The Portuguese agent Jorge Mendes has the mandate from Benfica to sell the player and once the deal for Mané to join Bayern is triggered the deal can move ahead. Núñez has been of particular interest to Manchester United but the club have not yet made a bid for him. West Ham and Newcastle United were both interested in January and it was West Ham who made a £50m bid in the final days of the January transfer window. The player himself was not interested in the move.

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't know how anyone can know what his net worth is. Most people haven't even got a clue what he's paid. 

I don't know either, but I found it listed along with his donations. They do occasionally publish lists of the richest people and wealthiest this and that, so the estimates must be based on something.

He is obviously giving back some or a lot back to his roots, but I couldn't find anything to corroborate this unusual vision of a footballer not interested in money and giving most of it away which appears from time to time.  

40 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The man himself.

"Why would I want 10 Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, or 2 planes? I built schools, a stadium, we provide clothes, shoes, food for people who are in extreme poverty. I prefer that my people receive a little of what life has given me."

20 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The man himself.

"Why would I want 10 Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, or 2 planes? I built schools, a stadium, we provide clothes, shoes, food for people who are in extreme poverty. I prefer that my people receive a little of what life has given me."

I know that quote, but that does not mean he is not interested in money and gives most of it away.

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I know that quote, but that does not mean he is not interested in money and gives most of it away.

That’s the vibe he tried to give out with that comment, that he’s more interested in sharing his riches with his people than keep it all to himself. Some people buy into it and some obviously don’t. I haven’t made up my mind and I’m not sure I care either way all that much. 

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ok I'll rephrase it.

When Mané is negotiating a contract he is more likely to be thinking about what he can build with that money back in Senegal that what extravagant luxury items he can buy for himself.

Anything you can provide to corroborate this assessment?

19 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ok I'll rephrase it.

When Mané is negotiating a contract he is more likely to be thinking about what he can build with that money back in Senegal that what extravagant luxury items he can buy for himself.

He's foisted god knows how many LFC kits on to villagers. Seeing as how they all hate the club they can at last get rid of the wretched things. Maybe swap them for Everton ones.

42 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The man himself.

Says there that he only gives away a little.

'Why would I want 10 Ferraris, 20 diamond watches, or 2 planes?' Actually, the vast majority of players would ask the same question. Talk about overkill.

I'm sure good old Sad has given oodles away, and good for him. Others have done it - even dear old Craig Bellamy, and he's Welsh, so he could be forgiven for concentrating on the goldfish tank built-into in the toilet seat and the leopard-print mini bar - and some with a bit more discretion, but hey ho. It would be perverse not to think he means well, even after this shit storm of a PR campaign.

I think their agents care about money and the players care about money primarily because they see it as a confirmation of their value, enhances their status, after they have reached certain level, they have enough actual pinka pinka. As in, they are paying me more than Salah, i.e. I am better than Salah. So money would always be a factor.

Also, money is money. Everybody likes money. And nobody needs 10 Ferraris, except maybe that guy from Pink Floyd and Jay Leno.

BTW Sadio is an interesting character, but I never have a feeling he is genuine in anything he says, it's always like he is saying stuff which comes across as weird, like when he said we will try to win every game in a season, or stuff he thinks he is supposed to say so they would live him alone, but always feel a bit... disjointed? The only time I felt he showed genuine emotion was that strop when Salah wouldn't pass to him.  

10 minutes ago, Lario said:

Says there that he only gives away a little.

No it says the people receive little, but I think that’s just maths; if you give part your income away to many people then each donatee receives only a a portion of what’s been given away.