You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

The whole thing feels like a massive come down. Riding the crest of a wave, Quadruple looked a real possibility. Final day was devastating to lose in Paris in that manner. Divock club legend gone, Mane one of our best players of all time gone for peanuts. Salah’s exit next season looks inevitable.

I’m really not feeling good at the moment. I know we’ve been absolutely brilliant under Klopp and have been spoilt by how good we’ve been but for the first time I feel concerned about direction we’re going.

12 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

The whole thing feels like a massive come down. Riding the crest of a wave, Quadruple looked a real possibility. Final day was devastating to lose in Paris in that manner. Divock club legend gone, Mane one of our best players of all time gone for peanuts. Salah’s exit next season looks inevitable.

I’m really not feeling good at the moment. I know we’ve been absolutely brilliant under Klopp and have been spoilt by how good we’ve been but for the first time I feel concerned about direction we’re going.

Jesus Christ 

21 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Seriously.

Stop.

Trust Klopp and his staff and trust the squad he has and is building.

We've had Mane's best years - he'll never be as good again as he was for us - we have brought in Diaz and a 22 year old forward who has scored a bomb load of goals for Benfica - the front 3 had to be refreshed and replaced gradually, it could not all happen at same time, this is step one of that process.

Mane has been boss for us, but it is the right time for him to go - mainly, simply because he wanted to but also because we have to evolve and we have to do so bit by bit across next year or two.

Trust our incredible manager and his staff and trust what he has built/is building.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Seriously.

Stop.

We've had Mane's best years - he'll never be as good again as he was for us - we have brought in Diaz and a 22 year old forward who has scored a bomb load of goals for Benfica - the front 3 had to be refreshed and replaced gradually, it could not all happen at same time, this is step one of that process.

Mane has been boss for us, but it is the right time for him to go - mainly, simply because he wanted to but also because we have to evolve and we have to do so bit by bit across next year or two.

Trust our incredible manager and his staff and trust what he has built/is building.

I’m just totally unconvinced by Nunez and Mane’s performance at CF were sensational.

2 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I’m just totally unconvinced by Nunez and Mane’s performance at CF were sensational.

I'll have a friendly little bet with you that we score at least as many goals in the league this coming season as we did last....

38 minutes ago, an tha said:

Seriously.

Stop.

Kenny's biggest mistake was holding onto aging players to long and eventually it caught up with us. Moving Mane on now is good for everyone. 

We now have two outstanding young players for the attack we can develop, we got our money back on Mane and we can refresh the attack and go again.

6 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Kenny's biggest mistake was holding onto aging players to long and eventually it caught up with us. Moving Mane on now is good for everyone. 

We now have two outstanding young players for the attack we can develop, we got our money back on Mane and we can refresh the attack and go again.

Is right

We then under Souness tried to change too much all at same time and it all turned to shite.....this gradual refresh approach will work IMO....just need to make sure we do same with midfield, but that is another conversation!

IMO - our midfield is more of a concern than our front line...but as i say that is another conversation.

6 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

This is brand new ground for Klopp too. He's never been in a situation where he's had to transition to a second era, the fact he seems to be doing decent business instead of clinging on to his original line up has got to be a positive. 

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned here, just saw in Echo that its £27.5m upfront and £5m as addons.

How the hell did they get him for that! Fucking steal!

because he's 30 and only have 1 year left on his contract.

Thiago was actually younger than he is now when we signed him from Bayern, 

its actually fairly rare for 30+ players to go for anything  over 25-30 million. 

22 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

My recollection is that Kenny's successor ditched "too old" players like Peter Beardsley, who then proceeded to tear up the league for another 5 years.

I think we'll be sat here in 2027 talking about Mane being a contender for the Ballon d'Or.

• Upvote 1

I'm quite okay for people to believe that we were sensible to sell a wantaway player with one year remaining on his contract.

My issue is with the people deluding themselves into believing that Mane is seriously on the wane and we're better off without him.

It doesn't matter if it's a mistake or not really as he wants to go. We'll never know exactly why, he might just fancy a change, he might not want to be second fiddle to Salah anymore, he might know we wouldn't pay him what he wants -it could be a bit of all that. He wants out - and after 6 years and winning the lot, that's fair enough. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It doesn't matter if it's a mistake or not really as he wants to go. We'll never know exactly why, he might just fancy a change, he might not want to be second fiddle to Salah anymore, he might know we wouldn't pay him what he wants -it could be a bit of all that. He wants out - and after 6 years and winning the lot, that's fair enough. 

That's my take too.  For whatever reason, he clearly decided some time ago that he was moving on and it looks like the club knew. He's never struck me as someone who prioritises money so I doubt that was his main motive. He signed a contract and saw it out while giving everything for the club. Good luck to him. 

45 minutes ago, Strontium said:

My recollection is that Kenny's successor ditched "too old" players like Peter Beardsley, who then proceeded to tear up the league for another 5 years.

Maybe the biggest problem was pinning hopes on Nigel Clough to be next in a series of great number sevens.

10 minutes ago, aws said:

That's my take too.  For whatever reason, he clearly decided some time ago that he was moving on and it looks like the club knew. He's never struck me as someone who prioritises money so I doubt that was his main motive. He signed a contract and saw it out while giving everything for the club. Good luck to him. 

I think winning afcon had a huge impact. The adulation boosted his ego.

He's a legend but that's for his retirement. Now we might be playing against him and it's all about LFC.

35 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I'm quite okay for people to believe that we were sensible to sell a wantaway player with one year remaining on his contract.

My issue is with the people deluding themselves into believing that Mane is seriously on the wane and we're better off without him.

Keegan left and he wasn't on the wane and we didn't look better off without him that summer. But that worked out okay. Whether Mane is or isn't on the wane is irrelevant. The key thing is how good Diaz and Nunez tun out to be.

• Upvote 2