You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

10 hours ago, Supremolad said:

I think people are deliberately forgetting that Mane does get an entitled cob on occasionally. He blatantly ignored Klopp's outstretched hand after the 5 nil win at Old Trafford for example. And he also on occasion had to be subbed off to save him from getting sent off. He can be quite petulant and I'm sure he resents being portrayed as a player in Salah's shadow.

He is a diva just like Salah. Salah is the Ronaldo kind of diva, courting the limelight, willing to talk big in public and full of self confidence bordering on arrogance. Mane is the Messi kind of diva who gets away with it because of a media friendly personality wrapped in huge doses of perceived humility.

I would still have wanted us to keep both divas for the next 3 to 4 years. Nothing wrong with a being a diva if you're as talented and effective as they've been for us.

He's a winner though, to an extent that comes with the territory. Losers always whine about 'doing their best'. winners go home and fuck the prom queen. 

I wonder if he'd be leaving us if Senegal didn't win the AFCON? It was only after that when he started getting some of the credit he'd already earned years before. The OTT reaction to that win,for Senegal and not just Mane,may have just ignited the anger of playing second fiddle to Salah for so long? I wish him well,but the way in which he has departed has left a sour taste after all that LFC and Klopp have done to make him the world class player he's become.

• Upvote 1

He's won it all here. Being honest, I never quite

get players who stick around to win an extra league or Cup somewhere, when they could go abroad and do it all in a new league.

Players have fleeting careers, good luck to anyone who's helped us win the lot and wants a new challenge. Hope Mané bums the Bundesliga.

Still hope Suarez steps on an upturned plug.

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wonder if he'd be leaving us if Senegal didn't win the AFCON? It was only after that when he started getting some of the credit he'd already earned years before. The OTT reaction to that win,for Senegal and not just Mane,may have just ignited the anger of playing second fiddle to Salah for so long? I wish him well,but the way in which he has departed has left a sour taste after all that LFC and Klopp have done to make him the world class player he's become.

I don’t get this at all. I really don’t. He’s given us plenty, he’s gained plenty from being here to give it. 

Its sad to see him go, and he’s still got plenty he could give us if he stayed, but he’s not doing or saying anything and this looks to be amicable “time to go out separate ways” from both sides.

we want the cash, but would’ve been happy to keep him at a salary he wasn’t willing to accept, he’s ready to move on but no doubt would be happy to stay if the offer was better than it is.

it’s a shame, but he goes with my thanks at least.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Incredible player for us. I have no objections to him leaving if he wants to go, as long as we get a reasonable fee from Bayern. I will miss him, he's been a class act but he's 30 now and he's given his best years to us so won't begrudge him for wanting a new challenge.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I don’t get this at all. I really don’t. He’s given us plenty, he’s gained plenty from being here to give it. 

Its sad to see him go, and he’s still got plenty he could give us if he stayed, but he’s not doing or saying anything and this looks to be amicable “time to go out separate ways” from both sides.

we want the cash, but would’ve been happy to keep him at a salary he wasn’t willing to accept, he’s ready to move on but no doubt would be happy to stay if the offer was better than it is.

it’s a shame, but he goes with my thanks at least.

But my point is that he was reasonably settled pre AFCON with no immediate transfer talk and soon as it's over and he's having smoke blown up his arse because Senegal won the African version of the Home International Championships. If we were going to sell him I don't think the club would have done it as openly as it has become recently. And that 'good news' interview was obviously towards the people of Senegal and nobody else. I am sorry to see him go as a player but I'm sure Klopp is quite content that he wouldnt have to explain sulks to the press and point out to stupid African journos that Germans too can have a sense of humour.

52 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

But my point is that he was reasonably settled pre AFCON with no immediate transfer talk and soon as it's over and he's having smoke blown up his arse because Senegal won the African version of the Home International Championships. If we were going to sell him I don't think the club would have done it as openly as it has become recently. And that 'good news' interview was obviously towards the people of Senegal and nobody else. I am sorry to see him go as a player but I'm sure Klopp is quite content that he wouldnt have to explain sulks to the press and point out to stupid African journos that Germans too can have a sense of humour.

Yeah fair enough. I should really have bolder your last bit as that’s really what I was replying to.

It’s not like you’d gone OTT with it, but I still can’t get behind this bit…

left a sour taste after all that LFC and Klopp have done to make him the world class player he's become

If Sadio wants a new challenge and the possible recognition of being the main man (no pun intended) somewhere else, I can kind of sympathise with that. I can even sympathise with his strops at being subbed while Mo isnt.

But yet again, some fans paint it as the club's fault spouting in my humble opinion, shite about him only being on 100 grand a week and the club prioritising Mo's contract while making no effort to sign up Sadio.

He's one of our top earners on 180 grand a week and he told the club not to bother with further new contract terms.

On the whole, I dont think Sadio has handled this situation well. I think most fans over 20 something prefer it when a player just comes out and says he's won everything here and wants to try something new rather than all this cloak and dagger bollocks.

Same goes for Mo, if we're daft enough not to sell him this summer if he doesnt agree terms, he'll be off on a free next summer because with no transfer to pay, just about any top club can give him the wage he wants. I mean fucking hell, even sick note Aaron Ramsey was on 400 grand a week at Juve.

1 minute ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Yeah fair enough. I should really have bolder your last bit as that’s really what I was replying to.

It’s not like you’d gone OTT with it, but I still can’t get behind this bit…

I think he was talented at Southampton,but his time at Liverpool elevated him to world status and Klopp is largely responsible for his improvement. The sour taste is probably his agent's doing and/or the media misquoting and such.

48 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Favourite moment for me has to be the last gasp winner at Villa Park. That was fucking glorious, up there with the biggest let offs of all time.

Notable mentions to his opener against Bayern, 94th minute winner against blueshite and the debut goal.

I was watching some clips todays, looking for that goal against Arsenal. What struck me was just how two-footed he looked. Playing on the right, his left footed shots were decent, and he went on the outside as many times as cutting in.

I sometimes feel we've become a bit too predictable in how our wide forwards play.

I’d rather he stayed. And, I’m not going to be bitter about him moving. He’s not a local lad. Sometimes foreign players with less of a bond to the club want to try something different in what is a relatively short career. In that regard, he might even want one last big contract. I’m not even sure that I begrudge him that. 

He always gave 100% for us. He scored some vital goals and was a consistently strong performer for us. Even when Diaz came in and it looked like he’d be the one to drop out of the first XI, his attitude was exemplary and he knuckled down and upped his game. 

But, the cold, hard reality of it is that we’ve let better players go and still survived. The infrastructure is in place to protect us from losing such a player, more so than it was when we sold the likes of Suarez and Torres. 

Best wishes to him for the future. But, we’ll be sound without him. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Nelly-Matip said:

I’d rather he stayed. And, I’m not going to be bitter about him moving. He’s not a local lad. Sometimes foreign players with less of a bond to the club want to try something different in what is a relatively short career. In that regard, he might even want one last big contract. I’m not even sure that I begrudge him that. 

He always gave 100% for us. He scored some vital goals and was a consistently strong performer for us. Even when Diaz came in and it looked like he’d be the one to drop out of the first XI, his attitude was exemplary and he knuckled down and upped his game. 

But, the cold, hard reality of it is that we’ve let better players go and still survived. The infrastructure is in place to protect us from losing such a player, more so than it was when we sold the likes of Suarez and Torres. 

Best wishes to him for the future. But, we’ll be sound without him. 

Diaz Nunez Salah will be the front 3

If Mane stayed, he'd be a sub, on 200k a week.

Fuck knows how he'd react to that.

This would also mean Jota being pushed down the pecking order.

We'd then lose Mane on a free next season.

This is the best move for all parties.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

Diaz Nunez Salah will be the front 3

If Mane stayed, he'd be a sub, on 200k a week.

Fuck knows how he'd react to that.

This would also mean Jota being pushed down the pecking order.

We'd then lose Mane on a free next season.

This is the best move for all parties.

Agreed. I am gutted he is leaving but putting the emotion to one side,  he is not getting any younger and neither is Salah. There is just no way the club would have offered massive contract extensions to both Salah and Mane with them in their 30s now. 

Mane isn't an idiot either, he knows he will never get anywhere near Salah's wages at Liverpool (rightly or wrongly, that is how club will see it). He will probably get at least £10m signing on fee from Bayern plus extra wages of £10m over the next year - not that he is greedy but after a certain stage it is about ego and equality for all top players. 

5 minutes ago, M_B said:

We bought Mane for around £37 million I think.

Thought it was nearer £30m. One of our all time great signings at that, and a key part of ending the thirty year drought. 

Six brilliant years and he finances half the price of his replacement. If Nunez works out, it's very good business given their relative ages of 30 and 22. 

12 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Double wank

We payed more for Ox.

Be interesting to see how much they get from Barca for Lewandowski. Mind you at least Bayern, unlike Barca, should be good for the money!

We seem to be really good to players that want to leave. Maybe that helps us to convince players to sign in the first place.