You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

2 hours ago, suzy said:

Mane is a fantastic player and  I loved his goals on Sunday  but I just love Mo, can’t help it just always have. I honestly didn’t notice all the stuff Stig was on about although I noticed he was on his phone throughout. I’m glad I didn’t notice at the time as it would have pissed me off.

As others have said though they’re professional and good strikers are always selfish.

No-one ever does

a4f6366f17d1b1144cf36fe042dcbf5c.gif

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, m0e said:

Mane has probably already contributed as much, if not more than Barnes to our success. A couple of more seasons of this and he's well above.

I idolised Barnes growing up, he was incredible and the best player in the world as far as I was concerned. I watched my “the John Barnes” story vhs until it was worn out.

but, with that said, I was between the ages of 7 to 10 when he was at his pomp and so not the connoisseur I am today (whatever, fuck off).

so I’m interested to know what you mean by that? Do you mean Barnes was less influential because the overall team was better (arguments can be had both ways on that) or simply that Mane has had a better/bigger individual influence irrespective of those around him and is a better player?

48 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I idolised Barnes growing up, he was incredible and the best player in the world as far as I was concerned. I watched my “the John Barnes” story vhs until it was worn out.

but, with that said, I was between the ages of 7 to 10 when he was at his pomp and so not the connoisseur I am today (whatever, fuck off).

so I’m interested to know what you mean by that? Do you mean Barnes was less influential because the overall team was better (arguments can be had both ways on that) or simply that Mane has had a better/bigger individual influence irrespective of those around him and is a better player?

2 points really. Barnes came into a top team and won 2 leagues and 2 FA cups (plus a league cup, under Evans) in 10 seasons.

Mane has won Big Ears and 1 League Title as really, the first main signing in this new era. He's had to sacrifice his favoured position, and was a little more defensive for a year or so while Mo adapted.

And all this in 4 seasons for what was essentially a mid table side when he started.

In terms of skill and talent,  I think Barnes was only second to Maradona at the time, and is certainly one of the best players I've ever seen. But on impact, I think Mane's already at least level with him, and will surpass him if he stays just one or 2 more seasons.

The one thing they have in common in my eyes is that I would not have swapped either of them for anyone in the world. Barnes at the time (pre 92) and Mane over the past 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I love Sadio, but John Barnes was more than just a fantastic player, he took a massive weight of racism on his shoulders and dragged a lot of scousers out of their regressive views on his own.

This is a great point. Its like the Messi Maradona debate, where I bring up dealing with the fame and some horrid man marking that Maradona had to figure out on his own without much support.

Messi, in my opinion, had it much easier.

I like the idea of analysing players based on how they distinguished themselves in their era.

And for 3 or 4 years, Barnes was the best player in the league by a country mile, and possibly in Europe (the ban obviously makes it a difficult position to defend).

With Mane, there's a proper debate to be had about whether he's even the best player at Liverpool.

I lean towards Barnes and then towards Mane, and I think I'll be firmer on my position in one or 2 years time.

1 hour ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

See... I don't want to make an argument as to why because it'll look like I'm putting Barnes down, but Mane's goal return in all games the last three or four seasons is mental. Barnes only ever had one 20+ goal season. Barnes was fucking unreal, but Mane is fuckin' REAL. 

The goal stats across the board is significantly higher in this era.

Back in the 80s, a 20 goal season was stunning. It was a much slower and in many ways, tougher season with extra games and much smaller squads.

Players would regularly play with injury. Injury recovery was nowhere near what it is now, and the pitches and balls were much heavier.

I think that goals alone skew the argument about quality and impact.

Definitely something to consider though.

• Upvote 2

Love digger, that goal against QPR, awesome. He was sat behind me one game, just like a fan he was.

Sadio has improved vastly since he first came here. Sometimes made the wrong decision and looked a little lackadaisical. His touch has improved along with his concentration and decision making. It pisses me off the media try and make out there's an issue between him and Mo. And I understand him throwing that wobbly when he was subbed off at Burnley, was it?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Love digger, that goal against QPR, awesome. He was sat behind me one game, just like a fan he was.

Sadio has improved vastly since he first came here. Sometimes made the wrong decision and looked a little lackadaisical. His touch has improved along with his concentration and decision making. It pisses me off the media try and make out there's an issue between him and Mo. And I understand him throwing that wobbly when he was subbed off at Burnley, was it?

Lackadaisical ... what a word ! Sounds almost as great as Thi-ago Al’cantaraaa