You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

His stats are more or less on par with last season, which was and is bloody good. He's unpredictable enough that at even at his worst he's dragging at least one defender out of position for his teammates to have space, and he's still directly assisting goals.

Yup, becoming clear he's been just as good but Salah is another level and it's not making Sadio look as good any more.

• Upvote 1

I think Sadio was definitely better last season, he scored a lot more seminal goals, I genuinely believe he’s better on the right. But he’s a top player and even still not at his best he’s one of the best attackers in the country. Seems like a smashing fella anytime I’ve seen him speak.

He’s coming back into form and I think his play is being a bit underrated. I thought he was great today. I think the fact he’s such a fucking nice person helps the front 3 gel even more.

I agree with this.

He was unselfish and set up two of Salah's goals.

As Klopp says, even when he's not at his best he's still a handful. 

It's about the sum of the parts and Mane plays his part in making us tick, no doubts there.

• Upvote 1

I've been impressed with his play when he's drifted into a central position. His first touch isn't good enough in tight areas to just turn someone tightly marking him - so he's no Coutinho replacement - but he can pick a pass and his sheer dynamism works wonders when he's moving across the field in between the lines of the opposition's defence and midfield, akin to what Ox does on occasion.

It helps that he's forming a decent partnership with Robertson on the left flank. Robertson's looking so solid that Mané coming central doesn't even leave a hole.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the slow motion replay didn't do him any favours in that penalty incident. In real time, he did go down quite quickly. It was barely half a second between the kick on his foot and him hitting the deck.

The slow motion replay makes it seem as if he waited 2 or 3 seconds before hitting the ground because of course, the action was being showed slooooowly.

The main problem is that he didn't sell it well enough because he jumped too high in the air.

At the end of the day, he was actually fouled. Even if the ref didn't want to give a penalty, the yellow was harsh. And I reckon the ref knew the first yellow was harsh which is why he was reluctant to show him the yellow he should have received in the 2nd half for handball.

As stupid as it sounds Mane in this situation is the reaction of a guy who isn’t a cheat. He tries to beat his man and get past him. He isn’t jumping in the air and feeling around for contact with his leg or jumping into a player and falling over. He literally knocks the ball past his man and gets his foot clipped which knocks his stride pattern. It’s not enough to knock him down but it is just enough to stop him completely skinning the defender and getting away from him. It’s at that point it registers with him that he’s been fouled and like anyone will tell you the refs are going to do nothing for you if you don’t show them you’ve been fouled so he goes down. The delay shows you it was an after thought to get the penalty.

It pretty comical to read that fucking cunt Gallagher’s view. All season - there’s contact it’s a pen. Calvert-Lewin, Deli Alli, Harry Kane every week it’s the same. This week because the ref didn’t give the pen it’s “there’s contact but not enough to go down” fucking wanker.

• Upvote 2

Really good numbers. I think he’s a bit below last season, where he used to skin players left, right and centre.

H doesn’t seem as comfortable doing that from the left. Clearly there is no argument to be made to swap him to the right with the way Salah has performed, but it was noticeable even against palace that the few times he found himself on the right he was much more willing to try something

Mane is a smashing player. The numbers he is putting up are fine.

I think he plays best when it’s instinct. When he has time he sometimes looks like a poor player, in terms of touch or choice of pass or whatever. Some players are thinkers. Others are more instinctual. Mane has such pace and physical ability that he has relied on his instincts to get where he is. Fine by me. Keep it up, fella!

He is getting back to his best as we are on the run in, which is great. Let’s not forget he was injured for Senegal, then nursed through all that, and he had plenty of game where it looked to me like he was only at 70% as he was learning to trust his body a gain before putting in a sprint.

He’s a very good player and it would be lovely to see him score against Man City.

It pretty comical to read that fucking cunt Gallagher’s view. All season - there’s contact it’s a pen. Calvert-Lewin, Deli Alli, Harry Kane every week it’s the same. This week because the ref didn’t give the pen it’s “there’s contact but not enough to go down” fucking wanker.

Gallagher's best one was when he said it wasn't a penalty on VvD when he nearly got his shirt ripped off from a corner , saying ' Both are pulling each other ' over the pictures which prove this is absolute cobblers.