You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

I'm imagining it and it makes me realise how poor of a signing Mane is.Our problem for years has been breaking down teams who sit back, a player like Mane who likes to play on the counter and is not creative is exactly the kind of player we did not need.He'll be playing simple balls to Coutinho and others with the hope of being played through, that tactic is not going to have much success against teams that sit back.

I'll get behind him now as he is a LFC player but this is a baffling singing imo, people say we need a winger and he is the answer but my idea of what a winger is seems different to most.I thought a winger was someone who beats players and gets crosses in, not someone like Mane who plays sideways passes and just looks to be played in.

Good luck to him but if he is the only am we sign we have not addressed the problems we had last season unless Klopp is changing our style of play and we are going back to the football we saw under GH.

Thats funny cause simple one-two's and running behind the defense is exactly how to break teams that sit back down.

• Upvote 3

Jürgen Klopp: I've been aggressively monitoring Sadio Mane for years

Jürgen Klopp revealed his delight with the deal to bring Sadio Mane to Liverpool after the club completed the signing of a player the manager has tracked closely for a number of years.

The Senegal international today finalised a switch to Anfield from Southampton, where he scored 25 goals in 75 appearances during a two-year stay – including four strikes against the Reds last season.

Mane first caught Klopp’s eye at the 2012 Olympics football tournament as his country reached the quarter-finals, and the German continued to follow the forward’s progress as he impressed for Red Bull Salzburg and then the Saints.

Now the 24-year-old will enter the next stage of his career with Liverpool, and the boss is eager to begin working with his latest recruit when pre-season kicks off at Melwood later this week.

Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com: “I have followed Sadio for a lot of years since his impressive performances in the Olympics in 2012, and then watched his development in Austria and in his time at Southampton.

“Since I came here I have spoken to the staff a lot about him and have always felt he could be a very good signing for us. He has a lot of quality, works hard and has a very good goalscoring record.

“When I spoke to him I could tell that he was passionate about joining the club and playing for our fantastic fans. I think they will be just as excited about seeing him put on a Liverpool shirt as I am.

“It is great that we have managed to sign him so he can work with us from the first day of pre-season.”

I've lost all track of what represents normal value now. It's like when hyperinflation hit Zimbabwe and people needed a rucksack of cash to buy a packet of frazzles.

Going to be confusing when someone gives us a rucksack of frazzles for Benteke then.

What about our glaring obvious lack of width to stretch teams?

I don't think lack of width has been a problem, our fbs provide the width and if we are going to play 4231 our wide players should be players who like to cut inside and take shots.Mane has been signed to play on the lw imo, that's worrying as Klopp likes to play Firmino as the number 10 and there are strong rumours psg are trying to sign Coutinho.

As for Evil_Ways post I agree playing one twos is the best way to break down teams who sit back, you need players who are technically excellent and can play in tight spaces to play that way though and I'm not sure Mane is that kind of player.

I don't think lack of width has been a problem, our fbs provide the width and if we are going to play 4231 our wide players should be players who like to cut inside and take shots.Mane has been signed to play on the lw imo, that's worrying as Klopp likes to play Firmino as the number 10 and there are strong rumours psg are trying to sign Coutinho.

As for Evil_Ways post I agree playing one twos is the best way to break down teams who sit back, you need players who are technically excellent and can play in tight spaces to play that way though and I'm not sure Mane is that kind of player.

As you said yourself in a previous post, I'm sure Mane will be the one looking to get on the end of those balls. Mane has much needed pace.

Wasn't really fussed on him, mainly cause I thought we could do better for that sort of money.

But Klopp's signing him for a purpose and he'll easily improve our first XI, that's good enough for me.

Your second sentence is key, Klopp is signing players to complement the way he wants to play. There isn't a scattergun approach, there seems to be a modicum of thought involved.