You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've always thought that the Labour Party and the Trade Union movement have a job to be front and centre in the fight against racism.  I can't help thinking that Jeremy Corbyn and Jennie Formby would have shown a lot more active leadership in the last few weeks, if they were still in charge.

Ah, well.

You don’t need to be in charge of Labour to be front and centre in the fight against racism. What has Corbyn been doing this last couple of weeks?

• Upvote 1

Starmer's response has been lukewarm, at best. Dealing with the allegations of racism at senior levels in the party itself would be a good start. I'd also like to see him come out swinging against the violent racists in London yesterday  (Starmer's tweet on the subject, unlike that of Boris fucking Johnson, didn’t even mention the word "racism") and those in the media and in politics who radicalise and encourage white supremacists. 

22 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Starmer's response has been lukewarm, at best. Dealing with the allegations of racism at senior levels in the party itself would be a good start. I'd also like to see him come out swinging against the violent racists in London yesterday  (Starmer's tweet on the subject, unlike that of Boris fucking Johnson, didn’t even mention the word "racism") and those in the media and in politics who radicalise and encourage white supremacists. 

Starmer just seems to be lukewarm in general. I'm hoping it's something he can improve on as time goes by.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

How so?

The way he lead the Labour Party through the antisemitism fiasco was very poor. The reputation to many is that they're a racist party. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

It was more about missing Corbyn's anti-racist instincts, which would be perfectly suited for these times.

Instincts? I mean, I don't deny that he's anti-racist, but as leader of the Labour Party, what did he achieve in the fight against racism? What is he doing now? Very little, is the answer. There's more tweets about Israel on his timeline than there is about the latest riots. What did Corbyn say about the far-right violence yesterday that was so appealing? 

Seems to me that you just like Corbyn and just don't like Starmer. That's fine, but I can't let you pretend that during his time as Labour leader he was some loud voice against racism. I've come to the realisation that I quite like Corbyn the man, but quite dislike Corbynites on all matters political, because there views tend to surmount to WWJD. And I don't mean he of Nazareth fame. It was the same the other day with people calling him a success. I'm just glad that in the real world things are moving on and Labour - the only viable alternative for government - is taking steps to become more popular. 

• Downvote 1

Guest Alex_K
3 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

The way he lead the Labour Party through the antisemitism fiasco was very poor. The reputation to many is that they're a racist party. 

Instincts? I mean, I don't deny that he's anti-racist, but as leader of the Labour Party, what did he achieve in the fight against racism? What is he doing now? Very little, is the answer. There's more tweets about Israel on his timeline than there is about the latest riots. What did Corbyn say about the far-right violence yesterday that was so appealing? 

Seems to me that you just like Corbyn and just don't like Starmer. That's fine, but I can't let you pretend that during his time as Labour leader he was some loud voice against racism. I've come to the realisation that I quite like Corbyn the man, but quite dislike Corbynites on all matters political, because there views tend to surmount to WWJD. And I don't mean he of Nazareth fame. It was the same the other day with people calling him a success. I'm just glad that in the real world things are moving on and Labour - the only viable alternative for government - is taking steps to become more popular. 

Spot on.

Just now, Alex_K said:

Spot on.

Reading that back, it makes it look as if I'm having a pop at AoT but I'm really just tired of looking back at Corbyn's time as a Leader and already harking back to it, rather than living in the current time where Labour now has a leader who is the most popular since Tony Blair. I want the Tories out, and the way to do that isn't going back to being Corbyn-like. Just my view.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
55 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Reading that back, it makes it look as if I'm having a pop at AoT but I'm really just tired of looking back at Corbyn's time as a Leader and already harking back to it, rather than living in the current time where Labour now has a leader who is the most popular since Tony Blair. I want the Tories out, and the way to do that isn't going back to being Corbyn-like. Just my view.

Didn't read it that way at all - although I very rarely dip into these threads so am not aware of any subtext. Agree with both posts & overriding tone. "Moving in the right direction" in terms of electability is a sentiment I'd agree with.

1 hour ago, Hank Moody said:

I'm not asking for a new Corbyn, just a bit more of taking the anti-racist fight to the thoroughly racist Prime Minister: with the BLM movement, growing calls for a change in how we teach history, the scandal over BAME Covid-19 deaths, the Windrush scandal back in the spotlight, the anniversary of Grenfell, etc, now is surely the time to nail your anti-racist colours to the mast.

37 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not asking for a new Corbyn, just a bit more of taking the anti-racist fight to the thoroughly racist Prime Minister: with the BLM movement, growing calls for a change in how we teach history, the scandal over BAME Covid-19 deaths, the Windrush scandal back in the spotlight, the anniversary of Grenfell, etc, now is surely the time to nail your anti-racist colours to the mast.

Who leads the BLM movement for him to talk to?

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Probably right. 

You said ‘with the BLM movement’. Who is that? Who are they? 

You're misreading it. The word "with" isn't used in the sense of "he should sit down with the BLM movement"; it's in the sense of "with all these things going on, such as the BLM movement, etc... now is the time..."

One of the nastiest aspects of the anti-Semitism smear campaign was the collateral damage.  Most of the allegations against Corbyn were along the lines of "he's an associate of this person/organisation, a known anti-Semite".  The anti-Semitic attitudes of these people/organisations was always a given - even if the allegations were totally baseless.

Vile.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/mail-publisher-pays-damages-to-palestinian-centre-over-grotesque-libel-in-tom-bower-serialisation/?fbclid=IwAR2I1wZDtky6ogaD_dW_N-MS9ko2wEIdNS4bkhG0VLMVURakgEpVoBAjpGc

Mail publisher Associated Newspapers has paid substantial damages over a “grotesque” libel made against a non-profit Palestinian refugee group in its serialisation of a Jeremy Corbyn biography.

The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online ran extracts from investigative biographer and ex-Panorama reporter Tom Bower’s book Dangerous Hero about the former Labour leader (pictured) in February 2019.

The book, and one of the serialised extracts, contained the claim that the UK-based Palestinian Return Centre – and by extension its chairman Majed Al-Zeer, – was “known to blame the Jews for the Holocaust”.

Carter-Ruck, representing the PRC, said the “grotesque but utterly false” allegation had come from the misreporting in the media of comments made by a member of the audience at an event hosted by the PRC at the House of Lords in 2016.

The PRC publicly condemned the comments after the event.

The lawyers said: “Neither Mr Bower, the Mail nor Harper Collins (the publisher of the book) saw fit to properly verify the true position, nor to put the allegation to the PRC prior to publication.”

Carter-Ruck announced today that Associated Newspapers has paid substantial damages and costs to PRC and Al-Zeer after it published a correction and apology in March.

Harper Collins and Bower have already withdrawn the allegation, explaining that the author had relied on a contemporaneous newspaper report of the incident that had not been amended or corrected.

The claim will not appear in the paperback or any other future editions of Bower’s book.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Shocked to see that the consequences of the press furiously repeating the most absurd right wing bullshit for 4 years and both-sidesing the fuck out of everything else were wider reaching than just the electability of Jeremy Corbyn. What an incredibly productive use of their time that was. Seriously, big round of applause for all involved.

• Like 1

Just now, Duff Man said:

Shocked to see that the consequences of the press furiously repeating the most absurd right wing bullshit for 4 years and both-sidesing the fuck out of everything else were wider reaching than just the electability of Jeremy Corbyn. What an incredibly productive use of their time that was. Seriously, big round of applause for all involved.

Its interesting that a lot of the anti-semite pointers on twitter have barely mentioned it since the election. The world is fucking fucked. I honestly think Canada, Australia or New Zealand are the only places worth living nowadays. Europe is all over the place, America is at war with itself, south america is full of cunts, Africa they are lobbing each others heads off and Asia is a ticking time-bomb. 

Actually I might try and get a job at that south-pole joint.