You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What it isn’t about is ‘attacking you’ for ‘pointing out a double standard’, so you can stove that line of bullshit. What it is about, as I’ve already told you, is pointing out your double standard. You made a daft claim about people giving Corbyn a pass. I pointed out that it was nonsense, unless you are only referring to his supporters. I said - and this is where your own double standard comes in, which judging by your previous comment you should be glad I’m pointing out - that the same is true of you and Farron and Clegg. You then went on to claim what I said about Clegg was false, which is a lie, and ignored what I said about Farron. This quite wonderfully demonstrates your double standard. You were criticising double standards with a double standard. That’s pretty hypocritical, something you previously claimed never to have been. 

I’m going to stop you there. You’re attempting the schoolyard trick again. I didn’t say Clegg was an apologist. I said he worked for one. That’s the second time you’ve tried to do this. First time I can accept as a mistake, but I pointed it out. This is highly dishonest. 

At least I understand your point now you've explained it.

But I'm never going to agree that trying to get sanctions lifted from Libya makes them "Gaddafi apologists", and I also don't agree that working for someone is analogous to freely associating with them. You're comparing apples and oranges.

28 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

At least I understand your point now you've explained it.

But I'm never going to agree that trying to get sanctions lifted from Libya makes them "Gaddafi apologists", and I also don't agree that working for someone is analogous to freely associating with them. You're comparing apples and oranges.

No, no, he freely was employed by the lobbying firm, who boasted all sorts of saints, like Enron and Gaddafi. They were involved in ‘lobbygate’, too. You, on two occasions, have tried to paint them as just doing work to get sanctions lifted. What angels. Their primary job was to ‘improve the reputation of Gaddafi’. Lobbyists absolutely are apologists - and worse - in these cases. 

Once again you’re being flippant in an effort to excuse it, just as those who explain Corbyn’s meetings with questionable people. That’s fine n’ all, that’s what supporters do, but if you’re going to point out double standards, it’s true for all those doing it. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, no, he freely was employed by the lobbying firm, who boasted all sorts of saints, like Enron and Gaddafi. You, on two occasions, have tried to paint them as just doing work to get sanctions lifted. Their primary job was to improve the reputation of Gaddafi. Once again you’re being flippant in an effort to excuse it, just as those who explain Corbyn’s meetings with questionable people. That’s fine n’ all, that’s what supporters do, but if you’re going to point out double standards, it’s true for all those doing it. 

Let's say for argument's sake we accept that these lobbyists were apologists for Gaddafi, and that an intern working there for a couple of months in a different department was aware of that. Your point depends on drawing a moral equivalence between working for such people and freely associating with dodgy(ier) people at functions etc.

If Clegg was inviting Gaddafi apologists to soirees, I'd say you were on more solid ground. But he just worked for them, and we all need to earn a living.

I'll stress also that it wasn't me who was advancing "judge a person by the company he keeps" as a moral guideline.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Let's say for argument's sake we accept that these lobbyists were apologists for Gaddafi, and that an intern working there for a couple of months in a different department was aware of that. Your point depends on drawing a moral equivalence between working for such people and freely associating with dodgy(ier) people at functions etc.

If Clegg was inviting Gaddafi apologists to soirees, I'd say you were on more solid ground. But he just worked for them, and we all need to earn a living.

I'll stress also that it wasn't me who was advancing "judge a person by the company he keeps" as a moral guideline.

Which department was he working in and which which two months was he working there? The sources I’ve seen say he was there for 18 months as an account executive. The same source that you quoted saying he worked in a different department said he would have been aware of it. 

As for your moral equivalence stuff, that has nothing to do with me. I’m talking about double standards. You making strange excuses and them making strange excuses, you dismissing and them dismissing... that’s the double standard. Nothing to do with who was worse for what. That said, anyone who lobbies for convicted murderers are probably not the best people to be associated with. That’s why Clegg removes it from his CV at one point. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

JVL (the only organisation exclusively for people who are both Jewish and Labour Party members) has issued a rebuttal of JLM's evidence to the EHRC.

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/statement/jlm-evidence-to-ehrc-gossip-distortion-double-standards-and-presumed-guilt/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new-article-from-jvl-newsletter-post-title_8

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

JVL (the only organisation exclusively for people who are both Jewish and Labour Party members) has issued a rebuttal of JLM's evidence to the EHRC.

https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/statement/jlm-evidence-to-ehrc-gossip-distortion-double-standards-and-presumed-guilt/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new-article-from-jvl-newsletter-post-title_8

Will that make it to the EHRC though?

10 hours ago, sir roger said:

I await the media outcry;

He said the Conservative party’s decision not to adopt the group’s definition of Islamophobia like other political parties was indicative of a government “dragging its feet” on the issue and it needed to tackle the issue within its own ranks

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Good article by Peter Oborne on the treatment of Corbyn 

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/killing-jeremy-corbyn

Luckily you aren't an MP, otherwise you would be accused of being anti-Semitic and be ordered to take the article down. 

Edit: FYI Margaret Greenwood MP, had to remove her tweet linking the article and apologize for any offence caused.