You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

8 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nope.

I saw who made it and I read a few reviews pointing out that it contained nothing new - just the usual tired old unsubstantiated and already-debunked bullshit - and I decided that there are a lot of better ways to spend an hour.

(If anyone comes up with something new or credible, obviously I'd be interested in that.)

I didn’t realise he worked for the sun until after the fact. I wouldn’t have watched it otherwise.

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

A month or two ago you said JC would win a GE comfortably - is Labour getting out politicated?

I don't think I ever said he'd win comfortably. (I try to swerve predictions: I prefer forecasts.)

I still think Labour can win an election (but there is too much at stake for anything to be comfortable) and I still think our best electoral asset is Jeremy Corbyn in campaigning mode.

As for being "out-politicated" it looks like the Leader of the Opposition has more influence over what happens in Parliament and the timing of a General Election than the Prime Minister himself.  Not bad for someone who we are told is "not a leader".

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Labour won't win an election with Brexit up in the air. A lot of ardent remainers will gravitate towards the Libs because of their solid remain stance. The tories will vote tory. 

I don't think it's that simple. Many Brexit loons will move to the Brexit Party because Johnson hasn't fulfilled his promise of leaving on Oct 31. Lots of people on the left and/or remainers will vote tactically.

And hopefully it's a really cold winter.

Guest Pistonbroke

A lot of leave voters still despise the Tories. A GE is far harder to predict than most of the Polls suggest. Over the last decade Polls are becoming less reliable as to what direction the electorate will take. 

Just now, skend04 said:

Hung parliament at best. We'll have wasted another 7 weeks of an extension. Absolute madness.

There’s not much to be done as there’s no majority, so nothing could get done anyway - the extension would always achieve nothing towards a brexit resolution. What were the other non-madness options? 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

There’s not much to be done as there’s no majority, so nothing could get done anyway - the extension would always achieve nothing towards a brexit resolution. What were the other non-madness options? 

Resurrecting Guy Fawkes.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

A lot of leave voters still despise the Tories. A GE is far harder to predict than most of the Polls suggest. Over the last decade Polls are becoming less reliable as to what direction the electorate will take. 

True. Nowadays it is determined but whatever bullshit can get all the headlines and go mainstream.

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think we will see a Tory majority.  As far as brexiters are concerned Boris is Mr brexit stifled by an undemocratic parliament. I dread to think of Boris as PM for 5 years.

I personally think we’ll see the Tories at least win the most seats, if not a majority.

I do think there’s been a useful significance to Johnson’s deal though, in terms of the going into this election being Mr Brexit stuff. With No Deal as one of their possible positions, they were neutralising The Brexit Party as they could remain vague and keep hammering the line that anyone wanting a delay wanted to stop Brexit. 

Now they’ll be campaigning for his deal, and Farage and co will be relentlessly pointing out an extension was better because this deal is Brexit in name only. No question that will split votes they would have had sewn up if all this had played out the same other than Johnson coming back with this deal.

Whether it’s enough of those votes, who knows.

18 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Fucking hell. Let’s hope the ol’ boy has something up his sleeve because this Tory party, with this Tory PM would be a fucking disaster with a majority. 

When does he ever have anything up his sleeve? If he was a drama, there'd be no plot twists.