You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

42 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

That would only be quality if he had a secret room where he kept all the old odds and ends - which he would.

Nailed on. There'd be all sorts in there, a doctor's stethoscope, one trainer, a thimble and a National Trust lanyard.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

He said explicitly that Corbyn was anti-semitic which is unusual as most of the usual suspects waffle around it in dog-whistle terms presumably to avoid any libel option.

This ' lifelong service ' thing makes me laugh. He has been hoovering up his £300+ per day in the Lords for 15 years , and can you honestly say with your hand on your heart that ( outside football ) that you have ever heard of anything useful he has done?

As for the ex-communist routine , luckily he definitely seems to have been cured of that.

I'm just sorry I missed the word malignant out of my first post.

I'm a bit disappointed in myself looking back.

Category 1: Directorships

Chairman, Triesman Associates Limited (company in which Member has a controlling interest; the company is an investment company in private equity and finance businesses principally working in real estate and other types of financial investment; fees are paid to this company in respect of work done personally by Member for Havin Bank Ltd)

Non-executive Director, Havin Bank Ltd

Director, Salamanca Group (merchant banking and operational risk)

Chairman, Funding Affordable Homes Limited (housing association) (interest ceased 1 November 2018)

Director, Salamanca Group Topaz Ltd (real estate)

Category 4: Shareholdings (a)

Triesman Associates Limited (see category 1)

Category 4: Shareholdings (b)

New Property Press Ltd (publisher)

Maypar & Co (Promotions) Ltd (investment)

Mortgage Credits Ltd (property investment)

Dessin Inc Ltd (fine art importer/exporter)

Category 4: Shareholdings (c)

Triesman Associates Limited

Havana Trade and Investment Corporation Ltd (trade promotion) (see category 10(a))

Like you I’d not really heard of him until yesterday.  But you are writing off his career because he doesn’t like JC. 

What has JC achieved in his period in politics?  Any bills? 

31 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Like you I’d not really heard of him until yesterday.  But you are writing off his career because he doesn’t like JC. 

What has JC achieved in his period in politics?  Any bills? 

I'd have thought becoming the leader of a major political party is a pretty big achievement .

27 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Then there’s Lord Darzi, how will his record be dismissed? 

Tells fibs??

Lord Darzi

"As an Armenian survivor of the Armenian genocide, I have zero tolerance to anti-Semitism, Islamophobic or any other discrimination against religion or race."

Lord Darzi was born in 1960. The Armenian Genocide ended in 1917

22 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Tells fibs??

Lord Darzi

"As an Armenian survivor of the Armenian genocide, I have zero tolerance to anti-Semitism, Islamophobic or any other discrimination against religion or race."

Lord Darzi was born in 1960. The Armenian Genocide ended in 1917

The after effects continued long past 1917. His family were still refugees from genocide when he was born in Iraq.

49 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

The after effects continued long past 1917. His family were still refugees from genocide when he was born in Iraq.

Then why didn't he say that he had learnt lessons from the Armenian massacre handed down by his great grandparents ?  

Lets be honest , he deliberately made the statement as evocative as possible by over-inflating his personal experiences assuming that most people wouldn't know or check that he was born 43 years after the end of that abomination. 

It all depends on how broadly you draw the definition of genocide survivor, whether you limit it to those who escaped the immediate killing or extend it to those who were born as refugees to those who escaped. It's similar to how we talk about Palestinian refugees, even though the overwhelming majority of them weren't born in and have never even been to Palestine.

I think this is a weak stick to hit him with to be honest.

I had to laugh yesterday when Corbyn made his latest Brexit declarations, I think it was Sky News who somehow turned relative clarity (which they've been asking for) into criticism along the lines of "Corbyn has made clear Labour's Brexit position while in opposition, but not if they were in government".  He literally cannot win. 

As for antisemitism, I think it would be easier for all concerned to be provided with list of approved criticisms of Israel rather than the, apparent, disputes over the definition of antisemitism. People should not be fearful of criticising apartheid.  Maybe such a list already exists? 

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

How dare Labour use facts in response to an aggressively anti tv programme.

Seems quite a sensible approach to have a set strategy knowing the shitstorm likely from all of the usual suspects. 

It’s not a press strategy though is it?  It’s aimed

at you.  

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Why would you trust the press when it is they that are muck spreading in the first place ?

Better to have an army untrained supporters doing it, inevitably fucking it up and providing all the ammo that’s needed.  Deffo the best way.  

4 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I think this is a weak stick to hit him with to be honest.

I actually agree with that. Whether it was a rhetorical flourish or a slip of the tongue, it doesn’t undermine his main point.

(The facts that anti-Semitism is rare in the Labour Party and gets stomped on wherever it is found are what undermine his main point. )