You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

3 hours ago, viRdjil said:

The only person berated for asking to see more evidence is Jeremy Corbyn. Why is that?

Really??

You must have me on ignore. I'll say it again anyway. I'm berating/questioning whatever, because he was in the employ of Iran for 3 -4 years. Yes it was only 5k a year but that doesnt matter. Did he raise Irans human rights record? No he obviously didnt because he wouldnt have been invited back. Does it not look a teeny weeny little bit suspicious? Maybe warrant a nose twitch perhaps a raised eyebrow? No? Ok. Am I a cunt for raising it? No need to answer.

10 minutes ago, A Red said:

Really??

You must have me on ignore. I'll say it again anyway. I'm berating/questioning whatever, because he was in the employ of Iran for 3 -4 years. Yes it was only 5k a year but that doesnt matter. Did he raise Irans human rights record? No he obviously didnt because he wouldnt have been invited back. Does it not look a teeny weeny little bit suspicious? Maybe warrant a nose twitch perhaps a raised eyebrow? No? Ok. Am I a cunt for raising it? No need to answer.

See also the Tory government sponsoring Saudi Arabia's weapon haul. 

10 minutes ago, A Red said:

Really??

Let me put it another way, A Red... had it been Nigel Farage who posted the tweet, would it have triggered you as much as it has or even at all? And no, I don’t think you’re a cunt, I don’t think we’ve ever had any interaction prior to this.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

See also the Tory government sponsoring Saudi Arabia's weapon haul. 

Slippery slope here Stiggseh

Nearly a third of arms exports authorised by Britain over the past decade were to nations identified by the government as among the worst for human rights, new figures reveal.

Military arms deals worth an estimated £39bn were approved between 2008 and 2017, £12bn of which went to states included on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office human rights “priority countries” list, according to analysis by Action on Armed Violence.

Over that period, the only country on the 30-strong watchlist to which Britain did not approve arms export deals was North Korea.

The analysis of the figures, collated by the Campaign Against the Arms Trade using export control data from the Department for International Trade, shows a clear upward trend in arms sales approved to watchlist countries, although individual years vary. The values are likely to be a “conservative estimate”, CAAT said, due to an opaque system of “open” licences that allow an unlimited number of consignments over a fixed period.

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

There seems to be a bad case of playing the victim with a few people here. I think they might be expecting not to have people disagree with their opinions or assessment and conflating that with not being allowed to question Corbyn's motives or to criticise him. I personally wish Corbyn would fuck off into the pages of history, I think he's pretty useless and I can't criticise him enough for allowing the Tories - at their utter low - to remain on top, but people jumping to conclusions with absolutely nothing to back it up isn't really sound thinking, in my opinion. Both opinions are allowed to be shared. Both opinions are posted in a public place and are there to be questioned themselves. 

Good post here. Echoes the frustrations of many American Democrats at our unerring ability to pick un-electable candidates over and over again at the state and federal levels. Hilary Clinton is literally the only Dem that could have lost to Trump.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Let me put it another way, A Red... had it been Nigel Farage who posted the tweet, would it have triggered you as much as it has or even at all? And no, I don’t think you’re a cunt, I don’t think we’ve ever had any interaction prior to this.

Thats a good question, if Farage had been in the employ of Iran, plenty would have raised it and i would have agreed with them. I'm not a Farage fan.

Just now, A Red said:

Really??

He has raised human rights issues in Iran plenty, including in that period. 'Working for Iran for 4 years' is a bit different to presenting a show four times. It's like you're spinning it on purpose. Just like you could say anybody working for BBC or PBS or IPBC is supportive of the regimes that fund them. Not sure why you would, unless you just disliked them and were trying to suggest they were supporters of horrible crimes. Has Corbyn ever, ever even once said anything in support of 'hanging gays by cranes' or anything like that? 

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Good post here. Echoes the frustrations of many American Democrats at our unerring ability to pick un-electable candidates over and over again at the state and federal levels. Hilary Clinton is literally the only Dem that could have lost to Trump.

You’re gonna give it a good go again though, right?

30 minutes ago, A Red said:

Thats a good question, if Farage had been in the employ of Iran, plenty would have raised it and i would have agreed with them. I'm not a Farage fan.

I didn’t think you were, I just picked a random popular politician. You didn’t really answer my question. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You’re gonna give it a good go again though, right?

Don't have any other choice pal.

As weird/scary as it seems Florida is a, or maybe the, major player in Presidential elections - by far the most electoral college votes in the top 4 or 5 swing states, usually tight as a gnat ass in the popular vote as well. Trump won it, Obama won it, Bush won it, Clinton won it.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

I would prefer a candidate with less history/baggage but he seems to have the party brass behind him already.

We know what these buffoons will do to insure their favorite son/daughter gets through the primaries.

Yes, the party brass would prefer Donald won again than anyone that might attempt to make significant economic changes in the opposite direction to usual.

He doesn't appear to be quite as shit as Hilary so presumably he'd be a small favourite to beat Donald or any of the other Republican loons. I suppose a lot depends on how many on the left can bring themselves to vote for someone that takes money from wall street.

Anyone likely to run as an independent this time? From the left, I mean.

18 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I didn’t think you were, I just picked a random popular politician. You didn’t really answer my question. 

Oh ok, I probably wouldnt have bothered raising it as many would have

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Hope not as that guarantees a Republican win.

Oh, I know. It's a difficult though. Lots of people supported Sanders, then were told to support Clinton after he was stiffed. It'll happen again, but with Biden. 

The Labour Party was salvageable, whereas I'm pretty certain the Democratic Party isn't. At some point the left will fuck it off for good. 

28 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He has raised human rights issues in Iran plenty, including in that period. 'Working for Iran for 4 years' is a bit different to presenting a show four times. It's like you're spinning it on purpose. Just like you could say anybody working for BBC or PBS or IPBC is supportive of the regimes that fund them. Not sure why you would, unless you just disliked them and were trying to suggest they were supporters of horrible crimes. Has Corbyn ever, ever even once said anything in support of 'hanging gays by cranes' or anything like that? 

I'm not spinning it, its what happened. I'll take the BBC , as i dont know who the others are, whatever you think of them, they are funded not government controlled or knowingly have torture victims forced to give answers on their outlets. There is no comparison.

Corbyn, in my opinion, made a big mistake taking money from Iran, on the promise of not criticising Iran on his shows or round table discussions for PressTV.  Again, in my opinion, he took the view that the enemy of my enemy is my friend and used the opportunity, as probably requested by his employers, to criticise the US. I've posted the video showing this.

In my opinion, again, he is now embarrassed that he took part in all of this, hence his lie about why he stopped doing it. 

33 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

At some point the left will fuck it off for good. 

If they do they will never win a general election again. There are only two teams over here.

The Republicans are masters at party driven politics -- they were able to get the Church zealots to toe the line and support a fella who was pro abortion for most of his life and was an admitted womanizer at the same time as getting the "Muricans" to say they would prefer a Russian get elected than a Democrat.

Tough to crack those nuts.

The only chance for any real change in the landscape here is ditching the electoral college and going to a straight vote count.

Which of course is what "one man - one vote" should mean.

26 minutes ago, A Red said:

I'm not spinning it, its what happened. I'll take the BBC , as i dont know who the others are, whatever you think of them, they are funded not government controlled or knowingly have torture victims forced to give answers on their outlets. There is no comparison.

Corbyn, in my opinion, made a big mistake taking money from Iran, on the promise of not criticising Iran on his shows or round table discussions for PressTV.  Again, in my opinion, he took the view that the enemy of my enemy is my friend and used the opportunity, as probably requested by his employers, to criticise the US. I've posted the video showing this.

In my opinion, again, he is now embarrassed that he took part in all of this, hence his lie about why he stopped doing it. 

The video you posted was dubbed with sound from an interview different to what was on the screen. 

28 minutes ago, A Red said:

I wonder if you apply this level of scrutiny to the Tories.  Hmm, let me guess.