You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What would they do if he said he was lying?  It’s his word against his. 

The fact he said before the election he would vote LD and encouraged others to do so means he’s in clear breach of the rules. 

He knew that and acted exactly in the way the way he did to deliberately get himself expelled in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I think a lot of people who voted Lib Dem and Green in the European election were doing it in the hope it would force Labour to change their stance on Brexit.

Of course next time, they may look at what happened to Campbell, deduce that Labour is hostile to ideologically impure people like them, and then those voters may be lost to Labour in the longer term.

Well, like you, I 'guess' that could be true. It's a bit of a leap, but it could be. However, if they actually want a party that's able to deliver some sort of second referendum then the only party that is going to be able to do it - rightly, wrongly, shit-electoral-system, whatever regardless - is the Labour Party. I'm not thrilled about that, in fact I hate it. That said, the less we talk of Campbell's purity and those who share his view, the the better. it's strange, because you've always been somebody to rip on the likes of Campbell. I hate the cunt but Labour needs somebody like him to get a job done. Either way, he's quite far from being anything like Lib Dems or Greens on most issues, so I'd say anybody not voting for Labour because of kicking out Campbell for breaking rules isn't likely to vote Labour anyway. 

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Answers within 10 seconds that he voted Labour;

I don't normally agree with Blair but I actually thinks he speaks a lot of sense on the Brexit issue in that interview. 

Say what you want about that thundering cunt, but he's a brilliant communicator, a political monster, and somebody who is incredibly knowledgeable. He would fucking walk an election if you could clone 1997 Blair and bring him from the past. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

It doesn't demand absolute loyalty, obviously. It says that you can't be a member if you're going to vote for competitors. 

Or denounce the party, or even allude to voting for another party. Ever. 

1 minute ago, Boss said:

Or denounce the party, or even allude to voting for another party. Ever. 

Why would you denounce a party and be a member of it? I don't see the validity of your criticism here. It's hardly tyrannical to want members of the party to want to be members of the party and to support the party they're supporting.

34 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It doesn't demand absolute loyalty, obviously. It says that you can't be a member if you're going to vote for competitors. 

Or go on telly as a high profile member and basically say it's okay to do.

It's a load of bollocks. Look, the man invented modern political PR, there's no mystery to what's happened here.

Corbyn is the best thing to happen to British politics for donkeys  years.  The goalposts needed to be moved the lines needed to be drawn. I unfortunatly dont think he will ever be prime minister although i hope im wrong but the man deserves thanks and respect.

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Corbyn is the best thing to happen to British politics for donkeys  years.  The goalposts needed to be moved the lines needed to be drawn. I unfortunatly dont think he will ever be prime minister although i hope im wrong but the man deserves thanks and respect.

Corbyn and Brexit are two sides of the same coin. You can have the freedom of choice as long as you only choose from those choices, if you go outside of that prepare to be on the receiving end of all out media war warning of doomsday to come and mass character assassination of your grassroots supporters.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Corbyn and Brexit are two sides of the same coin. You can have the freedom of choice as long as you only choose from those choices, if you go outside of that prepare to be on the receiving end of all out media war warning of doomsday to come and mass character assassination of your grassroots supporters.

Yes i think you may be right. The paradox is i think the brexit Corbyn wants and could have negotiated with the eu is one the country could have approved.

15 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Metaphor mashup. 

Just now, Gnasher said:

Yes i think you may be right. The paradox is i think the brexit Corbyn wants and could have negotiated with the eu is one the country could have approved.

I think

i think

could have 

could have. 

Jesus, you’ve convinced me!!

20 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What would they do if he said he was lying?  It’s his word against his. 

The fact he said before the election he would vote LD and encouraged others to do so means he’s in clear breach of the rules. 

He knew that and acted exactly in the way the way he did to deliberately get himself expelled in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Seen someone on twitter say this is the former head of compliance for Labour and he’s saying he only mentioned voting Lib Dem after the election? Before it he only said he hadn’t decided who to vote for apparently. Unless you’ve seen different?

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Seen someone on twitter say this is the former head of compliance for Labour and he’s saying he only mentioned voting Lib Dem after the election? Before it he only said he hadn’t decided who to vote for apparently. Unless you’ve seen different?

I’d have to go and try to find it for you mate but I’m sure I’ve seen him on telly saying people should vote with their conscious and vote LD if they wanted to stop Brexit and this was before Election Day. 

Just now, lifetime fan said:

I’d have to go and try to find it for you mate but I’m sure I’ve seen him on telly saying people should vote with their conscious and vote LD if they wanted to stop Brexit and this was before Election Day. 

I can only recall him saying he was undecided but sure he did tons of interviews I missed. If his only transgression is saying he voted Lib Dems in response to being asked after the election then I’m not sure he’s actually broke the rules. At worst it’s open to interpretation.

This appears to be the rule. I'm no expert on the internal mechanisms of the Labour disciplinary process, but it reads like just voting for another party will be sufficient to break the rules. Campbell's admission just seems to be overwhelming evidence that he's broke the rules. 

B. A member of the Party who joins and/ or supports a political organisation other than an official Labour group or other unit of the 
Party, or supports any candidate who stands against an official Labour candidate, or publicly declares their intent to stand against a Labour candidate, shall automatically be ineligible to be or remain a Party member, subject to the provisions of Chapter 6.I.2
below of the disciplinary rules.

6 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

This appears to be the rule. I'm no expert on the internal mechanisms of the Labour disciplinary process, but it reads like just voting for another party will be sufficient to break the rules. Campbell's admission just seems to be overwhelming evidence that he's broke the rules. 

B. A member of the Party who joins and/ or supports a political organisation other than an official Labour group or other unit of the 
Party, or supports any candidate who stands against an official Labour candidate, or publicly declares their intent to stand against a Labour candidate, shall automatically be ineligible to be or remain a Party member, subject to the provisions of Chapter 6.I.2
below of the disciplinary rules.

The word ‘supports’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. It depends whether voting for someone on a one-issue election as they best represent your stance is supporting them. I’d argue it’s open to interpretation.

For example I’d assume there are tons of people who held their nose and voted for Farage as he best represented what they want from Brexit even though they hate him.

If Campbell actively encouraged people to vote Lib Dem then that’s a different matter.

12 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

The word ‘supports’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. It depends whether voting for someone on a one-issue election as they best represent your stance is supporting them. I’d argue it’s open to interpretation.

For example I’d assume there are tons of people who held their nose and voted for Farage as he best represented what they want from Brexit even though they hate him.

If Campbell actively encouraged people to vote Lib Dem then that’s a different matter.

Maybe. But a fair few dictionary sites have "vote for" as a synonym of support.