You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

23 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Took your words (reducing tax bills) at face-value, apologies 

I said they reduced my tax bill, because I am a lower rate taxpayer.

This month I paid 2% more in income tax & NI than I did in May 2010. My wage has gone up by more than 22% over that period.

18 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Is that as a proportion of GDP or total revenue?

Both. Although GDP is the only meaningful measure.

it was a sad day for me yesterday, for the 1st time in my adult life I didn't vote labour. i am just sick to death of both how the party is at national level, it's inability to challenge the worst government of all time, the constant in fighting at local level and while he wasn't up for election yesterday, fat Joe. I do not feel inspired by labour, I just see lots and lots of people who have nothing but self interest. i voted green, which in itself is a wasted vote - although voting for anyone in my ward is a wasted vote as labour ran in with over 2000 votes with the next best back at 200. The depressing thing is, I know I won't feel any different at the euro's (when I will almost certainly vote green again) or at a GE if we get one soon. for me there is a clear lack of leadership in the party at the moment, something needs to give. 

Voting green isn't a wasted vote. Over 100 seats gained today.  100 voices to give opposition to fracking, green site developments and vanity projects.  Far from a waste.

Weren't even on my ballot though.  So reluctantly did vote labour.

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Voting green isn't a wasted vote. Over 100 seats gained today.  100 voices to give opposition to fracking, green site developments and vanity projects.  Far from a waste.

it is a wasted vote when they get just 10% of the labour candidate! If we had a PR system across the City (in fact a PR system at national level too), there might be some value to the vote, but in my ward even a vote for labour holds no value as all the other votes combined don't amount to 50% of the labour vote. It's barely worth walking down to the polling station. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

it is a wasted vote when they get just 10% of the labour candidate! If we had a PR system across the City (in fact a PR system at national level too), there might be some value to the vote, but in my ward even a vote for labour holds no value as all the other votes combined don't amount to 50% of the labour vote. It's barely worth walking down to the polling station. 

Unfortunately it'll only ever be incremental for them. But look at the wirral, gone to NOC with two new green seats.  They will be the difference makers for many decisions there.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Unfortunately it'll only ever be incremental for them. But look at the wirral, gone to NOC with two new green seats.  They will be the difference makers for many decisions there.

yeah, I get what you are saying and agree. but I think FPTP means it is almost impossible for anyone to break past the big 2 or in local terms, big 3. 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

it was a sad day for me yesterday, for the 1st time in my adult life I didn't vote labour. i am just sick to death of both how the party is at national level, it's inability to challenge the worst government of all time, the constant in fighting at local level and while he wasn't up for election yesterday, fat Joe. I do not feel inspired by labour, I just see lots and lots of people who have nothing but self interest. i voted green, which in itself is a wasted vote - although voting for anyone in my ward is a wasted vote as labour ran in with over 2000 votes with the next best back at 200. The depressing thing is, I know I won't feel any different at the euro's (when I will almost certainly vote green again) or at a GE if we get one soon. for me there is a clear lack of leadership in the party at the moment, something needs to give. 

Sorry you feel like that Barry, certainly at national level. Could the inability to challenge this government be anything to do with the stranglehold that the Tories have over most of the media in this country? Any policy initiatives (and there have been plenty) announced are simply disappeared by the press and the bbc, who'd rather focus on unfounded antisemitic smears, or promotion of anti Corbyn rhetoric by the same faces on the right of the party. Even Labour's Brexit policy (which I think is the correct one by the way) is being blamed on Corbyn, when it was democratically decided by the party. I'm also frustrated as fuck, but only with the say the Tories have sewn up the means of how the public get their information rather than the party leadership.

At local level, I can't comment - I live in West London in a strong Tory area. I do reckon that Labour take the local vote for granted in Liverpool though. At least they seemed to when I lived there.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Sorry you feel like that Barry, certainly at national level. Could the inability to challenge this government be anything to do with the stranglehold that the Tories have over most of the media in this country? Any policy initiatives (and there have been plenty) announced are simply disappeared by the press and the bbc, who'd rather focus on unfounded antisemitic smears, or promotion of anti Corbyn rhetoric by the same faces on the right of the party. Even Labour's Brexit policy (which I think is the correct one by the way) is being blamed on Corbyn, when it was democratically decided by the party. I'm also frustrated as fuck, but only with the say the Tories have sewn up the means of how the public get their information rather than the party leadership.

At local level, I can't comment - I live in West London in a strong Tory area. I do reckon that Labour take the local vote for granted in Liverpool though. At least they seemed to when I lived there.

Maybe the press do play a part. But then it's the leadership of the party's responsibility to change that. What do we want out of labour, people talking a good game in the shadows or someone who can actually look to the electorate like they're more capable of running the country than a party who is seen even by their own party as incapable of running the country? If you live in West London, you must know most people are afraid of Corbyn? Rightly or wrongly, that's his image and an 80s left winger is just easy pickings for the press. 

As for the brexit stuff, that was all carefully managed to leave the party in the mess it is now. If it was put to a vote of the membership should remain and a 2nd vote be policies, not some shite "let's get a general election 1st" and all that, I'm sure both would be voted as policies. 

As for the local stuff, the whole party is at each others throat. Everywhere from top to bottom of the party there are just people who see opportunity for themselves. I would never vote for that fat prick again, but those trying to displace him seem just as bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

We gained two in Knowsley, sadly I wasn't one of them, but fantastic result all the same

Trying to find a coherent thread through trends thrown up in the Labour vote by the local elections but struggling to be honest. 

We we did very poorly but pretty disingenuous for the media to equate 1350 losses and 80 losses as the electorate giving the ‘main parties’ a bloody nose as if they were on the same scale.

Really good show by Lib Dem’s and the other smaller parties but would expect that effect to be diluted significantly in a GE particularly if Brexit is finally dealt with one way or the other.

Having said that I can’t see a GE anytime soon as it would be. ‘ Turkey voting for Xmas’ type decision for Tory mp’s in reality.

With people I know some have left Labour because they aren't brexit enough and some have left because they aren't remain. Whatever Labour's message is it isn't quite coming across to most people it's a case of being sat on the fence and being shot from both sides. Most people don't bother with local elections. I usually vote but this time I thought fuck it I don't care.