You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

I used to have a boss who had his door shut the whole time. You would knock and go in ask him a question and he would tell you to put it in a email. I would say no need i am here just answer the question. Email he would say.

Send an email and in 2 seconds an automated reply saying he could not answer as he was out of the office.

Knock on the door and there he is. 'Must have gone for coffee' his reply email me.

Thats JC to me

• Downvote 1

He wears the wrong suits and refused to share a platform with top blokes like Blair and Cameron.

Some of the stuff in that article I don't blame him for, such as not sharing a stage with them two, but I think it's crystal clear he didn't really want to remain in the EU and that showed in his actions and demeanour throughout.

What do you want from him Anny? Head to toe in Armani and storming conservative central office in a tank?

Fucking hell!!

Not at all mate. Cameron is not a fashion icon but do you notice. JC is a scruffy bastard and looks like a newspaper salesman not a world leader.

It is not important but it is.

Some of the stuff in that article I don't blame him for, such as not sharing a stage with them two, but I think it's crystal clear he didn't really want to remain in the EU and that showed in his actions and demeanour throughout.

Agreed. He's a eurosceptic.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2016/06/news-agenda-set/

David Cameron gets heckled every day of his life. The media never bother to report the names of the hecklers or the gist of what they say.

Yet a single heckler shouts at Jeremy Corbyn at Gay Pride, and not only is that front page news in the Guardian, it is on BBC, ITN and Sky News.

What makes a single individual heckling a politician newsworthy? There are dozens such examples every single day that are not newsworthy.

The answer is simple. Normally the hecklers are promoting an anti-establishment view, so it does not get reported. Whereas this heckler was promoting the number one priority of the establishment and mainstream media, to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn. So this heckler, uniquely, is front page news and his words are repeated at great length in the Guardian and throughout the broadcast media.

Screenshot (51)

The impression is deliberately given that he reflects general disgust from young people, and particularly gay young people, at Corbyn over the EU referendum. The very enthusiastic reception for Corbyn at Gay Pride is not reported.

Nor is the fact that the incident was not a chance one. The “heckler” is Tom Mauchline, a PR professional for PR firm Portland Communications, a dedicated Blairite (he describes himself as Gouldian) formerly working on the Liz Kendall leadership campaign. Portland Communications’ “strategic counsel” is Alastair Campbell.

So far from representing a popular mood, Mauchlyne was this morning on twitter urging people to sign a 38 Degrees petition supporting the no confidence motion against Corbyn. Ten hours later that petition has gained 65 signatures, compared to 120,000 for a petition supporting Corbyn. Mauchline formerly worked for 38 Degrees, unsurprising given their disgraceful behaviour over the Kuenssberg petition. I am waiting for the circle to be squared and Kuenssberg to report on the significance of Mauchline’s lone heckle.

I find it incredible that the mainstream media are all carrying this faked incident while not one single mainstream journalist has reported who Mauchline really is.

• Upvote 2

Anubis' post is not surprising.

The Blairites won't rest until they get rid of Corbyn and they'll use the media to do the work for them.

They don't want him in charge because they don't want his policies. They just want to "win". Nothing else matters, not even the fact that "winning" and implementing centre-right policies is actually losing.

Labour took a huge step forward when Cornyn was elected, in the wake of a humiliating general election defeat, it was a message to the Blairite right that enough is enough, it's time to reclaim our party.

The parliamentary Labour Party steadfastly refuses to listen.

To remove Corbyn would be a huge step backwards imo. The bigger problem are the right wing treacherous Blairite cunts. Axe these cunts first.

• Upvote 2

I think he's a bit beige and largely appears to just be going through the motions, although he does have the odd passionate speech in him.

But, I'd keep him. And I agree with fucking off the New Labour Blairite ranks in the party. And the backstabbers. Starting with Hillary Benn.

Corbyn has a huge mandate from the party membership. I was reading somewhere the other day that he resonates with the young. I think that's a massive issue after the EU referendum. The young feel disenfranchised and badly represented at the moment. If Labour and Corbyn can seize on that and build even more on Corbyn's apparent appeal to the young, that'll be no bad thing.

McDonnell is largely seen as Corbyn's right hand man. I think they need to blood another younger, more polished person to come in as a joint right hand man/third part of the circle, who can further appeal to the young. McDonnell is a good left wing old Labour principled figure, but I'm not sure on his image. Pains me to say it, but image matters. But, saying that, the young appear to have bought into Corbyn's image, so maybe we're heading back to focusing on substance over style.

• Upvote 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36630252

EU referendum: Dismiss anti-Corbyn bid, say Stevens and Flynn

Two Welsh Labour MPs have called on their colleagues in Westminster to dismiss a motion of no confidence in their leader Jeremy Corbyn for not campaigning hard enough during the EU referendum.

Paul Flynn called on colleagues critical of Mr Corbyn to "shut up".

Jo Stevens said the move was "self-indulgent".

But Aberavon MP Stephen Kinnock is one of a handful of Labour MPs to publicly back the motion.

He accused Mr Corbyn of a "lacklustre" campaign.

Mr Corbyn said on Saturday he would not stand down if there was a challenge to his leadership of the Labour Party.

During his speech in London, he cited a petition urging him to stay on that has attracted around 150,000 signatures from the general public.

Jo Stevens, MP for Cardiff Central, said she believed it was "terribly unfair" to blame the referendum result on the Labour party.

"Two-thirds of Labour voters, according to the polls, voted to Remain," she said. She suggested that the support for Remain among SNP voters was "identical".

"So our situation is no different," she said.

Asked whether she will be backing the no-confidence motion, she said: "I think it's self-indulgent.

"I think we should be focusing entirely on what the country now needs.

"Our responsibility as a party is to ensure we go into these negotiations protecting the rights that EU membership gave us - human rights, consumer rights, environmental rights, and most importantly, our rights at work.

"They have to be safeguarded. We fought for them for many, many decades and we've got to make sure that they stay."

Newport West MP Paul Flynn agreed, saying of some colleagues' criticism of Jeremy Corbyn: "I wish they'd shut up and get on with the job that we have to represent our own people."

"If you go ahead and undermine Jeremy, the only result will be two Labour parties because the party in the country is not going to accept a group of parliamentarians overthrowing a decision taken by huge majority by the rank and file of the party," he added.

But Mr Kinnock said: "Jeremy did about ten rallies during the campaign. If it were the short campaign for a general election you'd normally expect the leader to be doing ten rallies in a week.

"So I do think it was a lacklustre campaign. Not enough was done to win our core vote."

The motion has no formal constitutional force but calls for a discussion at the next Parliamentary Labour Party meeting on Monday.

The chairman will decide whether it is debated. If accepted, a secret ballot of Labour MPs could be held on Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

His leadership is akin to a former manager of owl resemblance of a certain club in red.

In other words.

A fucking shambles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this and would have said it earlier but for my sensitive observations of GF etiquette.  The shambles bit I don't see as an evil.

The RH era of LFC was a painful one that we endured for the greater good.  I sincerely believe that the Corbyn era is a necessary one, and one that we'll look back on with gratitude.

The Labour Party was adrift with a course set for death.

Milliband replaced by Burnham would have meant oblivion.

Rafa replaced by a man of similar standing would have meant a longer period of pain.  We are at the bottom of a hill, but we have JK to guide us up.

Who the Labour Party's JK is, I don't know, but when he/she emerges, we'll all know.

(neg away)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/hilary-benn-jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-eu-referendum-brexit

Hilary Benn seeks shadow cabinet backing to oust Corbyn

3143.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Jeremy Corbyn faces a coup this week by members of his shadow cabinet, led by Hilary Benn, the Observer can reveal.

It is understood that the shadow foreign secretary called fellow MPs over the weekend to suggest that he will ask Corbyn to stand down if there is significant support for a move against the leader. He has also asked shadow cabinet colleagues to join him in resigning if the Labour leader ignores that request. A spokesman for Benn declined to comment.

An overwhelming majority of the shadow cabinet now believes Corbyn should quit in the wake of millions of Labour voters ignoring their leader’s advice to vote in favour of Britain’s continued membership of the EU and amid the possibility of an early general election.

The development comes as leaked internal Labour party polling of people who voted for Labour in 2015 reveals that nearly a third (29%) would support a different party if a general election was held today.

A Labour source said: “MPs and members were worried about their prospects at the next election under Corbyn, but thought they had four years to turn things around. Now many fear they may have just four months if a snap election is called.”

The development looks likely to be the most serious threat to Corbyn’s leadership yet, with many MPs claiming that he must be unseated by the end of the week for Labour to remain an electoral force.

On Saturday the Labour leader sought to minimise the danger during a question and answer session with the media at the end of a hastily arranged speech in central London.

Asked whether he would put himself forward in the event of a Labour leadership contest, Corbyn offered a cursory response. “Yes, I’m here,” he said.

Asked again, Corbyn dismissed the threat and referred to a petition in support of his continued leadership. “Yes, there are some people in the Labour party, and the parliamentary Labour party in particular, who probably want someone else to be the leader – I think they’ve made that abundantly clear,” he told reporters and activists.

“What I’m totally amazed by is that 140,000 people have said they do not want the party to spend the next two months debating the leadership of the party; they want the party to get on the front foot, and get out there.”

However, the Observer understands that members of the shadow cabinet have been in constant communication through the weekend because of serious concerns about the future of the Labour party.

Senior sources said on Saturday that Benn had been ringing shadow cabinet colleagues over the past 24 hours asking two questions. First, sources say, he asks whether he should ask Corbyn to stand down. He is then said to ask if they will join him in resigning should Corbyn refuse.

A second shadow cabinet minister confirmed that the consensus among MPs was that Corbyn’s position was untenable – and at least half of the shadow cabinet agreed. “This is an existential threat to Labour now,” said one shadow cabinet minister.

The Labour electorate in the northern heartlands, from Sunderland to north Warwickshire, rejected Corbyn’s advice to support Remain in order to back the political message of Boris Johnson and Ukip’s Nigel Farage. “It might be too late. But we have to do something,” added the source.

Many outside the top echelon of the party are understood to agree. On Tuesday, following a meeting on Monday, the parliamentary party is set to vote anonymously on a motion of no confidence in Corbyn. In recent days key backbenchers have been coalescing support, using the secure Whatsapp service to communicate.

They now believe that they have at least 80% of the party on their side although it is understood that the chief whip, Rosie Winterton, is seeking to have the vote delayed for a week.

Corbyn critics said they feared that this would allow MPs to organise in support of a leadership bid by McDonnell, in the event of Corbyn resigning under pressure.

Allies of Corbyn and McDonnell, his long-time friend and closest ally, say that it is madness for a leadership contest to be sparked just when the Conservatives have lost a prime minister and are embroiled in their own internal chaos.

They also suggest that Corbyn was not to blame for the failure of people who have historically supported Labour to back Remain. Rather, they ascribe that to the failings of Labour governments in the past to connect with their traditional base of voters. They also claim that the remain campaign run by Jack Straw’s son, Will, was incompetent.

McDonnell told the Observer that the infighting was an unnecessary distraction. He said: “We need a Labour voice to be heard and not to be crowded out by noisy infighting. It is the responsibility of Labour politicians to remember our duty to represent the will of our party and the Labour movement to fight for working people, and not to fight each other.”

However, critics claim the Brexit vote has shown how disconnected Labour has become from much of its support and has crystallised for many how far Labour is from being in a position to win a general election.

Leaked internal Labour party polling suggested that Labour would attract nearly 3 million fewer votes than it did in the 2015 general election if one were called today.

It shows that just 71% of those who voted for Ed Miliband’s Labour party in May last year say they would vote Labour now, and this drops further – to 67% – among working and lower middle-class C2DE voters.

Some claim that the Labour northern heartlands are breaking off from the party, as they have already done in Scotland. If there is a general election soon, as it appears may be the case, Labour could be decimated, it is said.

Writing in the Observer, the former shadow education secretary, Tristram Hunt, has made public his belief that a change needs to be immediate.

“Our experiment with Corbynism has to end,” he writes. “If Labour members care about Labour voters, we need to do something about the Labour leader … I do not think Corbyn is a bad person, but he has proved utterly ineffectual.”

Stephen Kinnock, the Labour MP for Aberavon, also adds his voice to those who say that they have lost confidence in their leader. He said: “We must … have a full and frank discussion when the parliamentary Labour party meets, to look at what went wrong, and what we should learn.

“Our leader must be held accountable for the failure of the Labour In for Britain campaign, as must we all. It is vital that Labour has a seat at the top table, and critical that we have a leader who has the right experience and skills for the task at hand.

“And it is for that reason that I am supporting this motion of no confidence.”