Quantcast
Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader? - Page 698 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

211 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?



Recommended Posts

This plays in very nicely to the “antisemitism crisis” narrative, but announcing there “maybe” evidence of unlawful discrimination against Jews by Labour before even conducting an investigation seems irresponsible and unhelpful, to say the least. Is there any genuine basis for that claim? 

 

I look forward to the enquiries into the Windrush scandal, one amongst many human rights abuses carried out according to this government’s policies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Then just pay them. 

Yawn.

 

I've paid subs in the past, I'll undoubtedly pay them at some point in the future.

 

The decision as to whether I do or not, however, is not within your remit.

 

Does that make you angry?

 

Does telling people what to do make you feel good about yourself?

 

Does it give you some kind of gratification that compensates for a lack of affection elsewhere in your life?

 

Or are you really just a very boring person?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SasaS said:

They didn't write a prominently placed separate article about it, but they did at least report it in the UK Politics Live section. Under

Jewish Labour Movement members back retaining their links to Labour

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/mar/06/brexit-latest-news-pmqs-mays-offer-to-protect-workers-right-dismissed-as-worthless-by-labour-and-unions-politics-live?page=with:block-5c803eace4b016d234256b4e#block-5c803eace4b016d234256b4e

Maybe because there will be another vote in April.

 

"But the vote was only informal. JLM members will hold a binding vote at its annual general meeting next month on whether the group should end its 99-year association with the Labour Party. "

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jewish-labour-movement-votes-to-stay-affiliated-to-labour-for-another-month-1.481077
 

 

Cheers for link, was wondering if they'd mentioned it elsewhere. Will be interesting to see if they make an article on the main vote in april as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The usually biased, fake news BBC have just reported that the EHRC will await Labour's response to allegations before deciding whether to take any further action. 

 

Does the E in EHRC stand for Everton? "Investigating" without investigating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erm, what?

 

 

A former Sunderland mayor and senior councillor has been suspended from the Labour Party pending an investigation. It is understood that Coun Stuart Porthouse – a cabinet member on Sunderland City Council – has been suspended after sharing an interview from ex-Labour MP, George Galloway, on social media. Mr Galloway spoke to Sky News last month, defending the Labour leadership over complaints around anti-Semitism within the party.

Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/former-mayor-of-sunderland-suspended-from-labour-party-over-sharing-facebook-post-1-9637111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Erm, what?

 

 

A former Sunderland mayor and senior councillor has been suspended from the Labour Party pending an investigation. It is understood that Coun Stuart Porthouse – a cabinet member on Sunderland City Council – has been suspended after sharing an interview from ex-Labour MP, George Galloway, on social media. Mr Galloway spoke to Sky News last month, defending the Labour leadership over complaints around anti-Semitism within the party.

Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/former-mayor-of-sunderland-suspended-from-labour-party-over-sharing-facebook-post-1-9637111

If it's purely for sharing the post, what the actual fuck? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Erm, what?

 

 

A former Sunderland mayor and senior councillor has been suspended from the Labour Party pending an investigation. It is understood that Coun Stuart Porthouse – a cabinet member on Sunderland City Council – has been suspended after sharing an interview from ex-Labour MP, George Galloway, on social media. Mr Galloway spoke to Sky News last month, defending the Labour leadership over complaints around anti-Semitism within the party.

Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/former-mayor-of-sunderland-suspended-from-labour-party-over-sharing-facebook-post-1-9637111

If that’s as it seems, it’s incredibly worrying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Erm, what?

 

 

A former Sunderland mayor and senior councillor has been suspended from the Labour Party pending an investigation. It is understood that Coun Stuart Porthouse – a cabinet member on Sunderland City Council – has been suspended after sharing an interview from ex-Labour MP, George Galloway, on social media. Mr Galloway spoke to Sky News last month, defending the Labour leadership over complaints around anti-Semitism within the party.

Read more at: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/former-mayor-of-sunderland-suspended-from-labour-party-over-sharing-facebook-post-1-9637111

 

The bit you didn't quote contains some context:

 

Quote

It is understood that Coun Stuart Porthouse – a cabinet member on Sunderland City Council – has been suspended after sharing an interview from ex-Labour MP, George Galloway, on social media.

Mr Galloway spoke to Sky News last month, defending the Labour leadership over complaints around anti-Semitism within the party. 

In the interview, he likened what he called a media “black op” against Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to the work of Nazi minister of propaganda, Joseph Goebbels.

Mr Galloway also spoke of “foul slander” against the Labour party in regards to anti-semitism, stating the claims were “all a lie”. 

Coun Porthouse is alleged to have shared a link to the interview on Facebook and wrote: “Always liked Galloway in small bits, this time he is spot on.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

He shared a clip of an interview with Sky News.

 

I suppose you'd have the same attitude if he shared something by Tommy Robinson or Katie Hopkins and said it was 100% correct?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hand Shandy said:

Yawn.

 

I've paid subs in the past, I'll undoubtedly pay them at some point in the future.

 

The decision as to whether I do or not, however, is not within your remit.

 

Does that make you angry?

 

Does telling people what to do make you feel good about yourself?

 

Does it give you some kind of gratification that compensates for a lack of affection elsewhere in your life?

 

Or are you really just a very boring person?

Undoubtedly- maybe Dave can bank that

 

That’s why I’m asking you to do it, otherwise I’d do it 

 

Ha, no, why would it? I just think you should pay for something you obviously enjoy and appreciate. 

 

No, that’s just weird. I’d be a teacher if that was my kick. 

 

No, I have a huge amount of affection (drumroll please) from your mum. 

 

Subjective, but don’t think so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

 

I suppose you'd have the same attitude if he shared something by Tommy Robinson or Katie Hopkins and said it was 100% correct?

So what's the actual charge/crime here? Spreading interviews you don't agree with? Spreading what? Propaganda?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Section_31 said:

So what's the actual charge/crime here? Spreading interviews you don't agree with? Spreading what? Propaganda?

 

Answering a question with a question. TK will be along soon to give you a dressing down.

 

If someone posts a video containing a statement, and says they agree 100% with it, then they are de facto making that statement themselves. Which is problematic if the video contains something that would fall foul of whatever rule is being invoked.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

 

Answering a question with a question. TK will be along soon to give you a dressing down.

 

If someone posts a video containing a statement, and says they agree 100% with it, then they are de facto making that statement themselves. Which is problematic if the video contains something that would fall foul of whatever rule is being invoked.

Something about the company you keep? Who said that now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

 

Answering a question with a question. TK will be along soon to give you a dressing down.

 

If someone posts a video containing a statement, and says they agree 100% with it, then they are de facto making that statement themselves. Which is problematic if the video contains something that would fall foul of whatever rule is being invoked.

To answer the question then no, I don't, someone sharing a news clip from an interview on a legitimate news channel shouldn't be an offence, because what essentially are you saying by that - You've taken part in the distribution of information/an interview with a source we don't agree with and are therefore complicit? 

 

And who gets to establish what part of that interview he did and didn't agree with?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange to see The Canary mentioned and linked to, hadn't seen anything from the site for a while until I was just on there too recently via twitter, reading this on the Tories. Has some good bits in it when it comes to anti-Semitism hypocrisy : http://www.thecanary.co/global/world-analysis/2019/03/07/wikileaks-cables-reveal-us-concern-at-conservative-ties-with-antisemitic-parties/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To answer the question then no, I don't, someone sharing a news clip from an interview on a legitimate news channel shouldn't be an offence, because what essentially are you saying by that - You've taken part in the distribution of information/an interview with a source we don't agree with and are therefore complicit? 

 

And who gets to establish what part of that interview he did and didn't agree with?

 

So if someone shares a Katie Hopkins video, where she says something like "All Muslims should be sent home", and that someone says "Yep, Hopkins is spot on here!!!11", the person sharing it shouldn't face any action for that?

 

Because if not, then that seems to me to be a way of saying hateful things via a loophole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To answer the question then no, I don't, someone sharing a news clip from an interview on a legitimate news channel shouldn't be an offence, because what essentially are you saying by that - You've taken part in the distribution of information/an interview with a source we don't agree with and are therefore complicit? 

 

And who gets to establish what part of that interview he did and didn't agree with?

So who decides what’s legitimate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×