You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Just now, Anubis said:

Not annoying. I don'rt see how pointing out that you've suggested Muslims should speak out more against extremists (which you have) is no different to Hatton, and that I think you're both wrong, should lead to the type of nasty little innuendo you placed in that post.

Right - so, here’s the row back.  That’s not what you said is it? You said I’d said the exact same thing and now you’re moving the goalposts.  

People have done it so many times now it’s like clockwork.   

21 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Not annoying. I don'rt see how pointing out that you've suggested Muslims should speak out more against extremists (which you have) is no different to Hatton, and that I think you're both wrong, should lead to the type of nasty little innuendo you placed in that post.

Ban worthy that. 

He's a classless little scumbag. 

13 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

I think it's right they they do speak out. I'm not saying every time something happens, all billion Muslims should make a statement. I'm saying, any right thinking Muslim and any right thinking Jew should, in my view, be leading voices against those Islamic and Jewish states and actors that do what is against most right thinking Muslim and Jews good nature. I think British people should speak out against the sales of arms to countries that are not unlikely to use them for anything other than self defence. That doesn't mean I question British people. I think it's more credible and visible from them. 

I agree, it carries more weight if you speak up against something which perpetrators claim (openly or by implication) is committed in your name, but you asked what is wrong with the statement. Questioning of humanity of those who for whatever reason chose not to speak up is what is wrong. Jewish people (especially those not even living in Israel) are not responsible for actions of the state of Israel, nor are Muslims responsible for actions of the jihadis.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I've asked Dave to remove that line in your post.  I've also invited him to take action on any complaint you want to make about me, or any action he feels he should take over our exchange. Just so you're fully aware.

Fucking hell, are you serious?  You’ve gone to Dave! Ha ha. 

Why would I want to make a complaint against you, it’s the fucking internet. Who cares? 

Just now, SasaS said:

I agree, it carries more weight if you speak up against something which perpetrators claim (openly or by implication) is committed in your name, but you asked what is wrong with the statement. Questioning of humanity of those who for whatever reason chose not to speak up is what is wrong. Jewish people (especially those not even living in Israel) are not responsible for actions of the state of Israel, nor are Muslims responsible for actions of the jihadis.

Nobody is saying they are responsible for it, mate. They're saying people who have humanity should speak out against it. 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

You want me banned?  Ha ha ha ha. 

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 

What do you get from this? It's just really strange behaviour. Constantly trying to get a rise out of people on the internet. You'd expect it from a teenager. But not an old man. I couldn't care less if you're banned or not. I'm just calling for consistency (your favourite term). People have been given a temporary holiday from here for less than effectively calling another user a paedophile. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

What do you get from this? It's just really strange behaviour. Constantly trying to get a rise out of people on the internet. You'd expect it from a teenager. But not an old man. I couldn't care less if you're banned or not. I'm just calling for consistency (your favourite term). People have been given a temporary holiday from here for less than effectively calling another user a paedophile. 

Read that back to yourself. 

By my reckoning 14% of the new party group have made racist comments, live on television. 

Admittedly it was an error and they immediately apologised, but that is not enough. No one should be given a second chance, why isn't the party group doing enough to tackle this open racism within its own party group? 

They should be immediately expelled and if they are not the only moral thing for any other members to do is to leave this racist organisation and stand as Independent independents. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hank Moody said:

Nobody is saying they are responsible for it, mate. They're saying people who have humanity should speak out against it. 

I've exhausted my limited vocabulary. If you don't agree that you cannot question someone's humanity if he doesn't publicly condemn something for which he is not responsible, and that this implies collective guilt, we shall have to agree to disagree, at least on my part.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

What are you on about?  At the last election Labour campaigned saying they would take us out of the single market and end freedom of movement.  They’ve stood up to the tories to try and stop a no deal but at the end of the day they’re powerless if Theresa May wants to run the clock down.

You also talk as if the electorate are the policy makers that should not be restricted by the members of a political party?  It’s fucking comical.  You are surely not that thick.  The policy of both party’s has been dictated by elite men in suits behind the scenes for a long time.  If the electorate made the policy we wouldn’t be sitting here with a mess of a rail service, PFI in the NHS, ridiculous tuition fees, privatised water etc the list is fucking endless.

What I want is the Labour Party to offer alternatives to right wing choices.  The way to do that is to take the control away from the elite men in suits.  Get those policies in a manifesto and try to get them voted in.  If the electorate votes the other way then they can live with the choice they’ve made until the next election but it can’t be blamed on the left because it’s not the left wing option.

What loads of liberal types seem to want is labour to basically do what the tories do but do it with a smile or bankrupt the country by paying for things it can’t afford because they won’t put the taxes up

To most Remain voters Labour were softer option. Did I say Labour were pledged to keep us in ?

I am not going repeat myself and neither am I thick . You want members to dictate policy and MP to closely adhere to that policy . My point was MP's have wider responsibilities and that should be recognised.  I want the Labour party elected but am extremely pissed off that they are not demolishing the Tories and have swung behind a second referendum . If we crash out of the EU Labour can put what it wants in a manifesto , it wont get elected.  You can blame men in suits again. 

Just now, SasaS said:

I've exhausted my limited vocabulary. If you don't agree that you cannot question someone's humanity if he doesn't publicly condemn something for which he is not responsible, and that this implies collective guilt, we shall have to agree to disagree, at least on my part.

I just think it's a different thing, mate. He's not saying if you've not spoken out you have no humanity. He's saying those with humanity should speak out. But you're absolutely right that I disagree that it implies collective guilt. I think that's really a wild accusation. I can see how you can read into the humanity comment, but implication of guilt is way wide of the mark dude. In my view, anyway. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I've asked Dave to remove that line in your post.  I've also invited him to take action on any complaint you want to make about me, or any action he feels he should take over our exchange. Just so you're fully aware.

I've no idea if Rico said that Muslims should speak out or not. The worst that would condemn him for is hypocrisy. I've seen worst than that from the two minute search I just did, like admitting prejudging Muslim when he said he just has to 'hear the word Muslim' and he 'picture(s) someone who follows a stone ages belief system'. He also considers Muslims to be 'pretty good at [killing people]' and that the majority of them 'rioted and sent death threats' over the Danish cartoon. Even then, it's more to do with building on that prejudice by repeatedly posting negative stuff. It's clear to me that he has quite a problem with Muslims. The real low point for me, and the point that I actually switch from being a bit 'trollish' to believing he might well just be a bit of an old fashioned, right-wing racist (rather than some neo-nazi skin head) was the blind defence of some pretty horribly racist shit. Still, I guess if he wants to rely on people's lack of being arsed to trawl through literally hundreds of pages of text from the last 10 years, he's going to get away with it because he's not overtly racist, shouting racist abuse every two minutes. That, of course, doesn't mean he isn't prejudiced. To me, he quite obviously is.

47 minutes ago, Anubis said:

As with most subjects, he lacks the intellig to make his own points, so it's usually something from Twitter or a podcast. 

But, he shared this after an ISIS attack. He also said he'd have negged me if he hadn't used up his quota for disagreeing with the sentiment he shared. His initial sharing of this post and disagreeing with me when I questioned the merit of it suggests that he shares the sentiment of the Tweet he shared; re: Muslims and ISIS attacks. 

"We have to own the problem. We have to admit that this is a religious problem, and we need to renew our commitment to a secular country which treats all religions equally. I have believed in the importance ofsecularism all my life, and with every day that passes that belief grows stronger. Religion is no way to govern a nation. Not any religion, and not any nation.

ISIS is not America's problem, nor the British, nor the French. ISIS is not Syria or Iraq's problem. ISIS is a problem for Muslims. And if you can't admit that, you're not really a good Muslim either.

‪#‎LibertyFraternityEquality‬

‪#‎LongLiveTheRepublic

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Fucking hell, are you serious?  You’ve gone to Dave! Ha ha. 

Why would I want to make a complaint against you, it’s the fucking internet. Who cares? 

I’ve asked for it to be removed because there are posters on here who work in the local criminal justice system who know who I am on here, and it would be pretty easy for others to identify me from information on here.

You may not appreciate the ramifications that particular suggestion can have for people, but I’ve dealt with it so am aware how taken the wrong way by a third party, it can be nasty. So yes, I’ve asked Dave to remove it, and told you because I wasn’t about to go behind your back. I’ve also asked him to deal with anything I wrote if he deems it untoward.

After it’s dealt with I’ll put you on ignore. Rest assured, as with SD I won’t be reading your quoted posts and I don’t have a second account you’ll be pleased to know.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

As with most subjects, he lacks the intellig to make his own points, so it's usually something from Twitter or a podcast. 

But, he shared this after an ISIS attack. He also said he'd have negged me if he hadn't used up his quota for disagreeing with the sentiment he shared. His initial sharing of this post and disagreeing with me when I questioned the merit of it suggests that he shares the sentiment of the Tweet he shared; re: Muslims and ISIS attacks. 

"We have to own the problem. We have to admit that this is a religious problem, and we need to renew our commitment to a secular country which treats all religions equally. I have believed in the importance ofsecularism all my life, and with every day that passes that belief grows stronger. Religion is no way to govern a nation. Not any religion, and not any nation.

ISIS is not America's problem, nor the British, nor the French. ISIS is not Syria or Iraq's problem. ISIS is a problem for Muslims. And if you can't admit that, you're not really a good Muslim either.

‪#‎LibertyFraternityEquality‬

‪#‎LongLiveTheRepublic

Ha ha, I don’t have the intellig- clown! 

9 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

I've no idea if Rico said that Muslims should speak out or not. The worst that would condemn him for is hypocrisy. I've seen worst than that from the two minute search I just did, like admitting prejudging Muslim when he said he just has to 'hear the word Muslim' and he 'picture(s) someone who follows a stone ages belief system'. He also considers Muslims to be 'pretty good at [killing people]' and that the majority of them 'rioted and sent death threats' over the Danish cartoon. Even then, it's more to do with building on that prejudice by repeatedly posting negative stuff. It's clear to me that he has quite a problem with Muslims. The real low point for me, and the point that I actually switch from being a bit 'trollish' to believing he might well just be a bit of an old fashioned, right-wing racist (rather than some neo-nazi skin head) was the blind defence of some pretty horribly racist shit. Still, I guess if he wants to rely on people's lack of being arsed to trawl through literally hundreds of pages of text from the last 10 years, he's going to get away with it because he's not overtly racist, shouting racist abuse every two minutes. That, of course, doesn't mean he isn't prejudiced. To me, he quite obviously is.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I’ve asked for it to be removed because there are posters on here who work in the local criminal justice system who know who I am on here, and it would be pretty easy for others to identify me from information on here.

You may not appreciate the ramifications that particular suggestion can have for people, but I’ve dealt with it so am aware how taken the wrong way by a third party, it can be nasty. So yes, I’ve asked Dave to remove it, and told you because I wasn’t about to go behind your back. I’ve also asked him to deal with anything I wrote if he deems it untoward.

After it’s dealt with I’ll put you on ignore. Rest assured, as with SD I won’t be reading your quoted posts and I don’t have a second account you’ll be pleased to know.

Why didn’t you just ask me to delete it? Or edit it?  

Bye then. 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Ha ha, I don’t have the intellig- clown! 

Let's not deflect. Are you going to respond to your sharing of posts which clearly say that ISIS attacks are a Muslim problem, or your follow up posts where you threaten to "neg" anybody who disagreed with such a post? 

You've asked for the proof. Muslim hater. Aren't you going to deal with it? 

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I'm not getting involved in your spat, its your issue and your business.

I'm interested in how you feel about the word "racist" thrown about as an accusation all over this place and the ramifications that could possibly have. Like I said i'm not referring to your run in with Rico