Quantcast
Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader? - Page 631 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

 

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

 

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

 

Thanks

Dave

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

181 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?



Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Hmm if people think Tory voters will be turned off by a brief discussion about Churchill. It's just as well no Labour MPs have been pushing the STOP BREXIT you did BREXIT because you are racist and a bit dim and inferring you were duped by the Russians etc. 71% of Conservative voters voted for Brexit in 2016 and a sizeable share of the rest respect the referendum result and don't want it overturned. Or another way,  100% voted for a party that ran on No Deal is better than a bad deal in their manifesto in 2017.

 

I get the basic maths it's easier to convert a Conservative voter than get two new Labour ones. However Labour last won an election using that method in 2005 a lot has changed since then. If you were 40 in 1997 by the next time the General Election said person will be well into their 60s. So that floating voter of yesteryear is likely to want Brexit be wary of immigration and be uncomfortable with all sorts of social attitudes and positions Labour support. Another point as the Lib Dems found out if you go into alliance or in Labours case accept Thatchers economic principles they eventually go for the real copy not the imitation. 

 

Here's the thing with some people who vote conservative. They're not necessarily conservative supporters. They're just swing voters who back normally who they see as the best of a bad choice. Those numbers can be reasonably large and are the difference, especially in swing seats, between winning and losing elections. This isn't a question of winning over some right wing Tory supporters, it's just catching the drifters of which there's countless more than the real Tory supporters. The labour front bench is doing fuck all to win them over in my opinion and it's why they're behind in as many polls as they're in front despite being up against probably the weakest government of all time. Nobody trusts them and calling Churchill a villain is frankly pathetic for anyone who has aspirations to rid us of this Tory government. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you asked a lot of people who lived around that time and grew up with him in those years like my Nan and Grandad did they would given you the same answer that "they fucking hated him" due to the fact he treated the working classes like something he'd stepped in and would've carried on doing that if he'd won the 45 election. Being a racist would've been way way down the list at that time.

But I guess when you're up against the most evil bastard the world has ever seen having a bastard in charge can only be a good thing can't it?

 

But as has been mentioned having his shitty past and views brought back up can only be a good thing or before you know it Liverpool will have a statue up of that great leader and saviour of Britain Margaret Thatcher too

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Here's the thing with some people who vote conservative. They're not necessarily conservative supporters. They're just swing voters who back normally who they see as the best of a bad choice. Those numbers can be reasonably large and are the difference, especially in swing seats, between winning and losing elections. This isn't a question of winning over some right wing Tory supporters, it's just catching the drifters of which there's countless more than the real Tory supporters. The labour front bench is doing fuck all to win them over in my opinion and it's why they're behind in as many polls as they're in front despite being up against probably the weakest government of all time. Nobody trusts them and calling Churchill a villain is frankly pathetic for anyone who has aspirations to rid us of this Tory government. 

 

The number of Conservative swing voters is a lot smaller than it was due to age, demographic changes, wealth distribution and Brexit since 1997. I would say the Conservative support is being held up by being the party of Brexit. The most realistic chances of getting these swing voters you suggest is converting Conservative voters who are more remain leaning and comfortable with paying more tax and improving public services and have few issues with immigration and a Britain culturally in 2019. I'd say that is a very small part of the Tory vote. 

 

If they voted Conservative and are remain leaning knowing the leader constantly spouted No Deal is better than a bad deal and actually put that in their manifesto I doubt a brief comment about Churchill is likely to be the decisive factor in their decision making.

 

But I think Labour have lost more votes by insulting the electorate over Brexit see my previous post times 100000 than any comment on Churchill but I don't see the outage regarding that so much. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

 

The number of Conservative swing voters is a lot smaller than it was due to age, demographic changes, wealth distribution and Brexit since 1997. I would say the Conservative support is being held up by being the party of Brexit. The most realistic chances of getting these swing voters you suggest is converting Conservative voters who are more remain leaning and comfortable with paying more tax and improving public services and have few issues with immigration and a Britain culturally in 2019. I'd say that is a very small part of the Tory vote. 

 

If they voted Conservative and are remain leaning knowing the leader constantly spouted No Deal is better than a bad deal and actually put that in their manifesto I doubt a brief comment about Churchill is likely to be the decisive factor in their decision making.

 

But I think Labour have lost more votes by insulting the electorate over Brexit see my previous post times 100000 than any comment on Churchill but I don't see the outage regarding that so much. 

I don't agree with you. It's all a question of trust. And I think the swing voters believe they can't trust anyone and they'll go with whoever is likely to fuck them least. The labour party need to be making progress in that direction. In the last election they won some of their own traditional voters back by exactly that. Now they need to win the right leaning swing votes. This Churchill shit is just nonsense and no good can ever come of it. While I see other failings from labour since the last election, my point is this is just another one. Labour needs to be pulling people towards voting for them and not pushing them away. I feel certain this Churchill thing won't have won one vote and it's just a typical thing we see from the front bench to remind everyone how wacky they can be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

I quite like Ken Clarke, to be honest. Obviously I disagree with him on a lot, but he doesn't seem all that hateful.

Likewise.

 

Seems to believe what he says as well. Which I think warrants a big a bit of respect at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We might have more anti-Semite bullshit incoming tomorrow (or sooner).

 

Quote

Survey of 27,000 left-wing Twitter accounts shows nearly a fifth promote or engage in antisemitism

 

Hope Not Hate calls out 'chilling' failure of Labour to understand the Jewish community’s concerns

A survey of thousands of left-wing social media accounts by Hope Not Hate found that nearly a fifth promote or engage in antisemitism.

The anti-fascist group’s “State of Hate 2019” report into racism — to be published on Monday — analysed 27,000 Twitter profiles that follow a selection of UK-based left-wing accounts which “regularly spread antisemitic ideas”.

 

 

Or maybe a 'chilling' failure of Hope Not Hate to understand what anti-Semitism actually means, fave part :

 

Quote

The most common type of Jew-hate displayed was “conspiratorial antisemitism”, which involves the use of antisemitic tropes.

 

Of the antisemitic tropes employed, the most common was the suggestion that the “Zionist or Israel lobby” or even “Mossad” was somehow steering UK domestic politics.

 

 

"Jew hate". Fuck off. Israeli lobbies, Zionists, and Mossad do not represent all Jews, and many of their actions actually play a part in creating genuine anti-Semitism in the first place. People that are against those groups but also stupid enough to add in Jewish people in general amongst them being one example. Or those that see what those groups are doing and then become more likely to entertain other ideas that are genuinely anti-Semitic.

 

The idea that these groups can't have any influence on UK politics is just comical. To then add in that it's an anti-Semitic trope as well is just taking the piss. The support of Ilhan Omar from so many Jewish people and groups recently and the repeated explanations of how this clearly isn't anti-Semitism is something that these idiots should maybe have a read up on. It falls under the exact same category of bullshit. Or maybe all those Jewish people and groups are "self-hating Jews" or something and we need to read up more.

 

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/survey-of-27-000-left-wing-twitter-accounts-shows-nearly-a-fifth-promote-or-engage-in-antisemitism-1.480094

 

Tores also called out for Islamophobia by the same group, let's see if that's reported along with the anti-Semitism one if they run with it. Maybe they'll add it as a footnote to the Labour articles so that they can't be accused of ignoring it, even though they didn't really cover it at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's a typical thing we see from the media, to portray the Labour front bench as wacky.

 

Answering a question honestly shouldn't be considered wacky.

It's fucking mental just to allow yourself to get involved. You're blaming the press for McDonnell being a bit of a tit. You sound like an Evertonian conspiracist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck me, Momentum are having a bad day on Twitter.  It’s fucking hilarious.  Whoever said the left will eat itself was spot on. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are momentum having a bad day? They just denounced a concocted smear attempt... it works both ways. Riley is enough of a cunt for people to not have to doctor islamaphobic images to damage her. Momentum are correct, here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Hahahaha. Yes. That's the most hilariousist thing I've ever seen. Oh my!

not-funny-updated.jpg

May I guide you to the replies? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

I quite like Ken Clarke, to be honest. Obviously I disagree with him on a lot, but he doesn't seem all that hateful.

Old school politician. Say what you want about the Tories from the 80s but they at least had some brains and gravitas, compared to Johnson, Cameron and Osborne at least. Saying that though so does a venus fly trap.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Tell us another one. I'm in stitches here. 

Ha ha, #metoo. The big racist fuckers!  And there’s even evidence. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

So growing rumours of the new centrist Tory enabling party being setup. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Corbyn's doing a great job at enabling a Tory destruction of the UK as it is. Best to jump ship before the natives work out what's happened in 40 days time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this was going to split the Tories? Funny old world. 

 

if it doesn’t happen nice of Owen to point out the inadequacy of those MPs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

It's fucking mental just to allow yourself to get involved. You're blaming the press for McDonnell being a bit of a tit. You sound like an Evertonian conspiracist. 

A journalist asked him a stupid question; he tried to answer it honestly. The only clips I've seen are of McDonnell getting as far as "Tonypandy; Villain..." Did he add anything to balance that? Who knows? The media coverage has almost all been about slagging him off as a "Poundland Lenin". Maybe he could have refused to answer or he could have said "both", but I'm not convinced that would have made much difference. 

 

And if you equate the obvious and understandable enmity of most of the media to the Labour leadership with the absurd delusions of GOT's finest, then frankly you're a fucking moron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×