Quantcast
Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader? - Page 613 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

204 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?



Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Point taken, although I think it’s more to do with the pissing in the tent thing. I think most of those who’d be kicked out are social democrats, and I think Labour has long been a joke for people like those. It has long been a broad church of views. I wouldn’t like to see it split because, as much fun as it might be to have a party with just left and hard left people, it would be the absolute end to it as a party of governance. 

 

The dream ideal of having a left wing socialist government isn’t worth the reality of giving up any any chance of progressive, left wing policies in the resulting perpetual Tory government that i beleive a split would bring about. 

 

Fucking hell, it’s another fine mess we’ve got ourselves into on the left. 

Nobody is kicking them out mate, they don't like the fact that the third way isn't in charge of Labour anymore, so they're picking up their centrist ball and fucking off to create SDP 2!

 

It's the gang of four with knobs (or knobheads) on! It's all very well Labour being closer to the centre. What I, and many other ex-Labour voters and / or party members couldn't stomach was the constant pandering to the gutter press, the adoption of many Tory or Tory-Lite policies, and the demonisation of good socialists like Tony Benn, Dennis Skinner, John McDonnell, and yes Jeremy Corbyn.

 

That rancid arl cunt who destroyed the working class in the 80's always said her greatest achievement was New Labour. If that's the case I want no part of it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, Corbyn’d have been fucked off a long time ago if that was the way they operated!

When did Corbyn, as a back-bencher, cosy up to the Tory press to spread lies about the party?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Point taken, although I think it’s more to do with the pissing in the tent thing. I think most of those who’d be kicked out are social democrats, and I think Labour has long been a joke for people like those. It has long been a broad church of views. I wouldn’t like to see it split because, as much fun as it might be to have a party with just left and hard left people, it would be the absolute end to it as a party of governance. 

 

The dream ideal of having a left wing socialist government isn’t worth the reality of giving up any any chance of progressive, left wing policies in the resulting perpetual Tory government that i beleive a split would bring about. 

 

Fucking hell, it’s another fine mess we’ve got ourselves into on the left. 

There are plenty of social democratic Labour MPs who don't put all their energies into working against the party.  Nobody is talking about deselecting them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

When did Corbyn, as a back-bencher, cosy up to the Tory press to spread lies about the party?

I didn’t say he did. 

12 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

There are plenty of social democratic Labour MPs who don't put all their energies into working against the party.  Nobody is talking about deselecting them.

Yes, just the ones opposed to Corbyn. I was responding to the comment about them lasting this long. Obviously. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the usual suspects from the right wing of the PLP are chatting shit about anti-Semitism again, here's a list of relevant facts.

 

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/02/05/40-facts-about-labour-antisemitism-the-public-needs-to-know-and-isnt-being-told/?fbclid=IwAR2PE0PxzeBAEt73vQOfn-67N62gLALYfqbmvnJOtVF4vCejLz-SdKbiS4Q

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s an odd one Galloway.  He’s made a show of himself plenty of times but I think his heart is in the right place.  I doubt he will ever be allowed back in the party which is ridiculous really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Numerspart Veinticus said:

How long before Galloway is back, running for a seat within Labour? 

 

He stood in Gorton against Labour in 2017, so he's technically banned until 2022, although they can overlook that rule if they want. I think it depends on whether the rumoured moderate exodus actually happens, and if Corbyn (who is still politically very close to GG) can get him back in without it being politically damaging. I wouldn't be surprised if it never happened, due to the baggage he brings with him, but I don't rule anything out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cus S Parta said:

All anti-Semitic you see!

It would appear so. 

 

Nowt to do with her constant undermining of the party leadership. Or her consistent refusal to rule out joining any newly formed centrist party. Or her unwillingness to confirm or deny that she has played a leading role in the potential setting up of such a party. Or her apparent dislike of the direction the party is going in. 

 

All of the above would hardly be inspiring to some CLP members who put in the leg work to get voters out for their constituency candidate. 

 

But the usual suspects on Twitter etc have decided that it's because she's Jewish and has spoke out again antisemitism, thus strongly implying that the Wavertree CLP is tinged with antisemitism, despite any real evidence to back up their slurs with. 

 

We're witnessing peak weaponisation of antisemitism on social media today. It's horiffic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

 

He stood in Gorton against Labour in 2017, so he's technically banned until 2022, although they can overlook that rule if they want. I think it depends on whether the rumoured moderate exodus actually happens, and if Corbyn (who is still politically very close to GG) can get him back in without it being politically damaging. I wouldn't be surprised if it never happened, due to the baggage he brings with him, but I don't rule anything out.

Yeah, incase it wasn't obvious that's what my glib remark was aimed at. I don't think Corbyn would do it. If he did... well, fucking hell; the left really would have eaten itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, I’m Sp@rtacus said:

Do you have to back the Leader?  

You should, at least, be able to say that a Labour GE victory would be hugely important for the country; even if she just stuck to her specialist subject of mental health and talked about how the Tories have increased the stresses that cause mental ill-health and slashed care budgets.

 

She's not thick. She's capable of thinking on her feet and answering questions... when she wants to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

What does it matter that she detests Corbyn, he in turn detested Blair didn’t he? Politics innit

That's my view too. A bigger rebel in Parliament you'd struggle to find. I have no problem with that, but to then decry a lack of loyalty to one man seems a bit petty to me.

 

What I would say though is that if that criticism is undermining Labour's ability to get elected then that's a legitimate reaon to criticise an MP. Corbyn was never high profile enough and already and a reputation  as an agitator so never really had that potential to derail things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's one thing to not support the leader.  It's a whole new level of shit to not distance yourself from a new political party whose sole aim would be to stop Labour getting into power. So if you find yourself as an MP who can't support the leader and can't support the party, I can see why the CLP would be extremely pissed off. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is probably fair. 
 
·
2h
 
(2)IMHO there is a strong case to give Luciana Berger a bigger break than, say Angela Smith MP or Chris Leslie MP (who have also been criticised by their CLP's) :To give here a break because she also gets racist harrasment, so cut her more slack to send a message on anti-semitism

 

(3)It's Liverpool Wavertree members decision, but they could say they are disappointed in their MPs apparent lack of enthusiasm for a Labour Govt (which is her job), but say that as she is subject to racism (not from her CLP, obv) they don't want to add to her woes right now.
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This woman didn’t even know who sang “ Ferry Cross The Mersey “ or who a certain socialist manager of a sporting team in her adopted city was.

 

All grounds for dismissal in my book. 

 

On a a serious note in like burgers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:
This is probably fair. 
 
·
2h
 
(2)IMHO there is a strong case to give Luciana Berger a bigger break than, say Angela Smith MP or Chris Leslie MP (who have also been criticised by their CLP's) :To give here a break because she also gets racist harrasment, so cut her more slack to send a message on anti-semitism

 

(3)It's Liverpool Wavertree members decision, but they could say they are disappointed in their MPs apparent lack of enthusiasm for a Labour Govt (which is her job), but say that as she is subject to racism (not from her CLP, obv) they don't want to add to her woes right now.
 
 
 

She always seem happy to allow the anti-Semitic hate campaign she received from Nazis to be conflated with the most spurious allegations against Labour Party members and their democratically elected leader.

 

I think she does get cut a lot of slack, but she takes the piss. There comes a time to say "enough is enough".

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

She always seem happy to allow the anti-Semitic hate campaign she received from Nazis to be conflated with the most spurious allegations against Labour Party members and their democratically elected leader.

 

I think she does get cut a lot of slack, but she takes the piss. There comes a time to say "enough is enough".

 

You won't get no arguments from me that she needs to be hauled into the CLP and address some of the speculation. My own view is any Labour MP who is conspiring or wanting to become a member of a new party should be booted out. Not forgetting an insult to people who give up their free time doing work that has resulted in all sorts of slurs aimed at them for just wanting a better society. I support any CLP for that reason and the members of Wavertree will have only pursued this as a last resort.  But the Berger situation is fairly unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×